• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

headphones under US$100

v1ct0r

I'm looking for headphones under 100 dollars. Actual headphones, not earbuds or canalphones. I was thinking about the Grado SR-60 or the Alessandro MS-1. If anyone has any other recommendations or opinions on these phones please reply. I was also looking at the Senn HD-280 pro

SR-60 are otherwise good, but not very comfortable IMHO, as all other Grados. Sennheisers feel better as they don't press on ear itself, they complitely cover it.
I can recomend Sennheiser HD-570 as they are great in own price range, but I think they are around 130$.

I have the HD-577's and they are around eighty dollars, they are phenominal!

MS-1, Grado SR80, and Audio-Technica ATH-A500 would be my first recommandation, as they are much easier to drive and performs much better (IMO) than other headphones in the price range. however the grados come with bowl pads, like metioned above, are somewhat uncomfortable, however a pair of flat pads solves that problem (and IMO they sound better with flat pads too)

another factor is your source and use, will you be using them as portable or home use, would you be running an external amp or directly off headphone jack?

[edit]
forgot to metion Sony MDR-7506/MDR-V6 (NOT MDR-V600!!), you should be able to find them cheap since they have been in the market for more than 10 years, and are probably the only model out of entire Sony MDR-V series I would ever recommand to anyone. (stay away from other Sony V models, [MDR-V700, V600 ect..], the V6/7056 were more like an accident :mrgreen:

^ it all depens on which model you purchase, all Philips make are low-cost consumer headphones such as computer headsets and headphones to package with their portable CD players.

low cost Sennheisers are known to have very strong mid-bass, their lower price models such as PX-100 and PX-200 are often recommanded to portable users because of their low cost, easy to carry, and strong mid-bass (since teenagers are all about bass these days), but as for their sound quality, they're only near acceptable for most headphone fans.

Sennheisers's top models, HD600 and HD650 are very popular in the audiophlie headphone circles, but to get the most out of those headphones requires an decent sized amplifier sometimes costing thousands of dollors and aftermarket cables, often costing much much more than the headphones themselves

I'm going to be using them from my line out on my ipod dock connected to a Pocket Amp 2 V2 and it'll only be for home use. I have Shure e3c's and sony mdr ex-71's for portable. What do the Audio Technica's sound like. I can push the budget for that headphone since it's 105 on audiocubes. What other ones would you recommend and what do they sound like. I listen to rock, rap, hip-hop.

there not under a 100 bucks for 140 bucks bose triports are PERFECT for rock and hip hop :thumbsup:

I vote for the MDR-V6...just got a pair for work, and i've heard things in music i've never heard before...some of my cd's from 10 years ago and i'm going "where the fuck did that guitar come from"....

I own the SR60s and they are, hands-down, the best-sounding open-air headphones for under $100. Nice smooth midrange, tight solid bass, and sharp highs. These sound great even unamped from a portable. The SR80 is a bit of a step-up from the SR60, but an amp is a must to make them shine.

However, the Grados are strictly home headphones. The cord is too long and too thick for portable use, and it is really uncomfortable for big heads (not a problem for me, I can last a couple hours staight wearing them). The Sennheiser PX100 is what I use for my iPod and surprisingly for such compact headphones, they are nearly close to my SR60s.

I also have the Sony MDR-V6 (well, my Dad's actually). I think this is pretty the only decent headphones that comes out of Sony, but also the hardest to find unless if you live near a Fry's Electronics store (around $80). Just as Raider pointed out, the detailing is amazing you would discover a lot of stuff you haven't noticed before. And it is easy to drive from a portable straight-out.

iboss429 said:
there not under a 100 bucks for 140 bucks bose triports are PERFECT for rock and hip hop :thumbsup:

Bose sucks. Absolutely overpriced and overrated. :thumbsdown:

The Sennheiser PX100/200, Koss Portapros, and even the $19 Koss KSC-35 will kick its ass both sound and value.

For the same price as the Triports can get you the excellent (and much better-built) Sennheiser HD555.

What other ones would you recommend and what do they sound like. I listen to rock, rap, hip-hop.
if you like hip-hop and rock, Grados SR-80 are definitly for you and with ATH-A500 very closly behined, they sound slightly different due to enclosure design, Grados are open back/front and have more airy sound, or lively however you want to describe it. The ATH-A500s are closed design, hence slightly more balance over the entire range, and also more noticable mid-bass. In sonic performance (with an amp), I would rate the SR-80 just slightly over the ATH-A500

I would say both of them are very good choice, both are extremely easy to drive and external amp would definitly improve their sonic performance. Biggest difference between the two would be closed type vs. open type design like I metioned above. Grados have no isolation against outside noise and no protection against your music from leaking, so if external noise is a factor (fan, A/C, computer ect), Grados perform as well.
ATH-500s are closed back and good seal against your ears, decent isolation, you will be able to hear other people talk when no music is playing, but when there's music playing all the external sound will no longer be audible. In isolation ATH-500 has the edge

now on comfort, Grado SR-80s are very light andwill not put much pressure on the headband, however, they come with bowl pads as standard and are somewhat uncomfortable over long period of use. Tthe bowl pads are made out of semi-hard fome and are pretty small in size, they rest on your ears instead of around, which might cause some pressure points, however this can be fixed with a pair of flat pads which are much much more comfortable.

ATH-A series share the same basic design as the higher priced ATH-W series, which in my true opinion, are some of the most comfortable headphones out there (im slightly baised because I own a few pairs of ATH-W headphones :D ). The 3D-wing (as they called it) works wonderful, no need to adjust size and the weight of the phones just disappear above your head. ATH-A comes with synthetic-leather earpads and are very soft, they are much bigger and rest on your head around your ears, which causes no pressure points. and if you're really picky about comfort, you can replace the earpads with leather earpads from ATH-W series (at a price of course).
Comfort wise, ATH-A500 > Grado w/ fat pads > stock Grado bowl pads

that should sum up the the difference between the two nicely
sorry but I disagree strongly. like I said in the "new toy" thread, they're nothing more than an over-hyped brand name and a marketing genius.

to be more detailed, Bose Tri-Port ( I have personal experience with just like all the headphones I recommanded + more) are wayy over priced, If they cost $30 I would recommand them, but since its price is way higher, I will judge them at their price level.

first come first, built quality on the Bose TriPort is avarage at best, they produce almost no detail in music, they give false (aka fake) soundstage, scratchey high-end, lack of midrange, and tons of mid-bass (almost no low end), enough said, bose triport is definitly a no-no

I vote for the MDR-V6...just got a pair for work, and i've heard things in music i've never heard before...some of my cd's from 10 years ago and i'm going "where the fuck did that guitar come from"....
ahhh... hearing parts of music never heard before, first step to the headphone world, now you're hooked :lol:
everthough I recommanded MDR-V6/MDR-7506 earlier, I would now to towards the ATH and SR-80.
as v1ct0r metioned, his source is an ipod. iPods are known to have very bright sound and same with MDR-V6/MDR-7506. They are known to have very strong (sometimes over-bright high-end) and strong mid-bass (however they do hit pretty low), the two togather in my experience (and many others) are definitly over-bright

However, the Grados are strictly home headphones. The cord is too long and too thick for portable use
ahh.. good point! as Viggen said, the phones Ii recommanded are for home-use, they have very long cable and big headphone jacks. they will either move off your head if you walk around or simply look stupid because of their size :lol:

but for my genre of music that I listen to would the MS-1's be better than the ATH-A500. The Audio Technica's look pretty cool but the Grado's get good reviews from everyone. Also is the 30 dollars over the 60's worth it for the Ms-1's?

IMO both MS1 and SR80 are soo damn good for hip hop and rap I dont think you can make the wrong choice, let along getting disappointed because of their sound.

the MS-1 have more netural sound than Grado counterparts, personally I'll probably go for SR80, but that's just me, if someone has different opinion I can understand perfectly

IMO, yes I think the $30 over SR-60s is worth it. but because your buddget is $100, you can easily get slightly used/new condition SR-80 (or any other headphones) under that price.

there are tons of comparision reviews on those phones at head-fi.org
link: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/

some VERY nice people and TONs of useful information. and definitly check the For Sale / Trade Forums, again, people there are very friendly and honest, lots of good deals there and often some very rare headphone related gears show up there as well

the sr60's are 69 and the 80's are 95 both new. The alessandros are 99 so just assume the 80's and ms-1's are the same price, which they pretty much are. The ATH are 105. Open design seems to have more people saying that they sound better and since I've hear more better reviews from the MS-1's and a lot of people saying the 80's have exaggerated highs. So I can limit my choices to the Audio Technica's, sr60's or MS-1. Now I gotta figure out if i want an open or closed design. :?

I think i'm going to get the MS-1's once I cough enough cash up but not ONE person has said the ms-1's are bad compared to the 80's or ATH-500's. So hopefully I stock up on some more classic rock cd's and have these headphones here :thumbsup:

If you want something more discrete, i think the shure e2, that new ultimate ears super.fi3 and the etymotics er-6 are under $100. They wont sound as great as the grados but they're bloody small and block out sound.

absolut said:
If you want something more discrete, i think the shure e2, that new ultimate ears super.fi3 and the etymotics er-6 are under $100. They wont sound as great as the grados but they're bloody small and block out sound.

Read again:

Actual headphones, not earbuds or canalphones.

Whoops, well then if you want something a little more well..refined, i think the sennheiser HD555 is around US$100