hearings on the radicalization if Muslim-Americans

Why are you apologising for Jetsetter?

We like your insanity Necro. :eek: :p

As an American, I apologize for this type of thing. We're not all like this.
I know - every nation has its nutcases. Some have a larger percentage than others and some are even governed by nutters, but they exist everywhere. The good thing is that there's also good people everywhere.

However, he is worried that Al Qaeda, a Muslim extremist/terrorist group, might be recruiting young Muslim Americans (its not like they're about to try and recruit Jews, afterall) and he wants to look into that possibility and, if it turns out to be true, eliminate this threat.
Except a Congressional hearing does absolutely nothing to accomplish that goal. King is smart enough to know that. Like nomix said ...
What's really going to stick, though, is a US Senator on television saying "muslim" and "terrorist" in the same sentence time and time again. It'll stick like dried spaghetti on the dirty dishes.
That's the whole point of this. Just like McCarthy. The hypocritical prick wants a Muslim "witch hunt" to get some name recognition and ensure his seat. Not a bad strategy when a 1/3 of Americans think American Muslims are "sympathetic to Al Qaeda."

McCarthy was a fucking arse that didn't have the intellectual capasity to even understand the difference between a Soviet spy and a person with ideological differences.
I think that McCarthy, just like King, knew exactly what he was doing. McCarthy knew he was waving blank paper around claiming it was a list of names. He was just a scumbag attention whore.

No no, not for him. For this whole scenario.
Anyone smart enough to realize that King is full of it is smart enough not to make generalizations about the US from King's actions.

That's the whole point of this. Just like McCarthy. The hypocritical prick wants a Muslim "witch hunt" to get some name recognition and ensure his seat. Not a bad strategy when a 1/3 of Americans think American Muslims are "sympathetic to Al Qaeda."
That may be but you have to admit that he does have a point. I doubt that anyone is going to argue that there is no way that Al Qaeda is not trying to recruit Muslim Americans.

That may be but you have to admit that he does have a point. I doubt that anyone is going to argue that there is no way that Al Qaeda is not trying to recruit Muslim Americans.
Sure. And my point is that this hearing does absolutely nothing to curb that. In fact if there is recruiting going on, this will only help their cause. Did he even come up with any "proof" of that recruiting?

Except a Congressional hearing does absolutely nothing to accomplish that goal. King is smart enough to know that. Like nomix said ...
It's what most security forces around the world would think of as an obvious undercover operation. You go in, see what people are saying, and don't break cover. You don't beat your chest and call witnesses for a hearing. That's idiotic.

Yeah.

I think that McCarthy, just like King, knew exactly what he was doing. McCarthy knew he was waving blank paper around claiming it was a list of names. He was just a scumbag attention whore.
I was just commenting on his intellectual abilities. McCarthy was to dumb to know the difference between a maoist and a stalinist.

Anyone smart enough to realize that King is full of it is smart enough not to make generalizations about the US from King's actions.
Yeah.

You have to admit it's still a fucking stupid idea. He doesn't have a point, he wants a witch hunt, and he wants votes. This is simple, populistic crap that won't achieve any positive accomplishments with regards to US security at all.

What's worse is that this type of thing tends to encourage extremism. If you tell young muslims they're the enemy long enough (and have no illiusions, a lot of the American news media WILL play it that way), some of them might believe it themselves.

Then someone does something stupid, and this idiot can beat his cheast and say "I told you so". This is a stupid idea from every single angle you look at it.

The provisional IRA never targeted civilians? Oh, and they only ever targeted the closest US ally on earth, historicly speaking.

Weeeell, historically speaking the Americans were considered a potential enemy in the pursuit for world domination by the British up until the USA joined WW I on the side of the Entente.

But to the topic:
People don't see the symmetry in this. It's all about balance. I mean, the USA are happily hosting the most radical and fundamental Christians in the world in the name of freedom, and also the whackiest sects (at least the ones who haven't committed mass suicide yet). Also some of the American Jews are more radical, than your average illegal settler in the West Bank. :thumbsup: (Btw.: Is it "whackiest" or "most whacky"?)

So it's only appropriate, that they host extremists of all religions. It's crucial that nobody feels left out, isn't it? I mean, everyone knows, how easily offended muslims are. They could really get pissed, if they felt left out :think:

That's what tolerance really means, right? Accepting and welcoming radicals from the WHOLE spectrum...

That's the whole point of that commitee, right? To make sure they really have extremists from all sides and don't accidentally discriminate the muslims? Or am I getting it wrong? :unsure:

Last edited:
That's what tolerance really means, right? Accepting and welcoming radicals from the WHOLE spectrum...
The nice thing about the US is all this wilderness we still have. So the nut jobs are free to come here and build compounds out in the middle of nowhere, leave the rest of us alone, arm themselves to the teeth, not pay taxes for a decade, then the US Marshals and FBI show up and ... shit.

Kind of on-topic with your snark, I always thought it was sort of funny how much fundamentalist Christians hate fundamentalist Muslims. I mean, they've got a lot in common, want a lot of the same things. They even worship the same god. You'd think the hardcore Evangelicals would at least respect Muslims. But that would ignore the fact that many use extreme religious positions to justify their own hatred, bigotry and ignorance.

One thing I find slightly amazing is that this Peter King bloke is Chaiman of United States House Committee on Homeland Security. You would have thought that after 9/11 and 7/7 that the UK and US would require the closest co-operation to defeat these terrorists and putting an outspoken supporter of a group of terrorists waging a war in the recent past against one party (UK) in charge of the US end would be seriously counter productive. Obvious conflict of interest.