Game: Hearthstone

Jupix

So, anyone else feeling the butterflies now that Hearthstone open beta is here?

Started playing on thursday when they opened up in the EU. I guess they're making everyone a mage, unless me & a friend RNGed into the same class.

I've been watching TotalBiscuits HS videos since the beginning so I know a little but very much still a noob. Finished my first arena with a paladin 4-3. Next up was a hunter deck which I really didn't like after it was done. Left it at 0-1 with huge holes like no AOE, no silence, only a couple of taunts.

Mage seems to fit my playstyle which is control and OTOH uncontrollable hits.

I was talked in to trying this by a colleague at work. I applied and got in to the beta while it was still closed, although that was only a few days before it went open. I've only played a couple of hours and only in practice mode against the AI because I'm still not convinced I like it. It's very impressive visually though and it plays well.

Unfortunately half of what you said doesn't make much sense. :lol:

I okay kind of a lot. I'm really bad at it.

I've been playing about a month. I like it. I'll never play it more than a couple minutes at a time, but it's fun. I have a Warrior deck, that I named WTFWarrior, that is nothing but taunt, low-cost minions and weapons that really sucks. Though it did frustrate one guy so much that he conceded when I pulled out my last taunt and then a few matches later when I got him again, he conceded right off the bat.

I've been playing every now and then for the past 3 month, but oddly enough I enjoy watching others play more than actually playing myself most of the time.. :blink:

I got in the closed beta around 2 months ago. I played with Jaina past the tutorial and a bit of PvP with the default deck, but then I just got totally overwhelmed with the process of making a custom deck. I've watched Jesse Cox play some games on Ytube, so I have the gist of the game, but I guess I couldn't be bothered? Too many cards, too little tutorials, and just didn't play after that.

I've been playing every now and then for the past 3 month, but oddly enough I enjoy watching others play more than actually playing myself most of the time.. :blink:

TotalBiscuit

Jesse Cox

Those are my two go-to when I feel like watching instead of playing. Though really, they're my go-to for watching any sort of LP. Them and Dodger.

I like the TGS/Co-Optional podcast, alright?

I got in the closed beta around 2 months ago. I played with Jaina past the tutorial and a bit of PvP with the default deck, but then I just got totally overwhelmed with the process of making a custom deck. I've watched Jesse Cox play some games on Ytube, so I have the gist of the game, but I guess I couldn't be bothered? Too many cards, too little tutorials, and just didn't play after that.

Youtube is probably the best source of knowledge as far as drafting. AFAIK there's a lot of information in wikis and forum posts on what to pick into your deck, but Youtube is great in that you not only get the information, but you get to see the cards perform in a real situation.

I try to draft around a common theme and I also obsess over maximizing value per mana. In game I obsess over value per HP.

Taunts and spells are easy to get value from, so yeah, lots of those in my deck(s).

I have a Warrior deck, that I named WTFWarrior, that is nothing but taunt, low-cost minions and weapons that really sucks.

I was screwing around with a similar Warlock deck that worked well in some cases but the hero power lets it down.

I like the game but I think some of the mechanics definitely needs refining. I really dislike the whole attack system; it's like some weird amalgamation of MTG and Yugioh, where you have no say in who blocks what but you can get hit in the face. I don't understand the point of it and I feel like it only makes the combat system slightly more complex than it needs to be. With Yugioh, the balance of attacker choosing what to attack is that the defending player takes any resulting damage and with Magic the defending player takes no damage when blocking a creature with another creature, unless the attacking creature has trample, while he can also choose to just eat the damage. Given that the the flavor of the creature's powers is more similar to MTG, I think adapting it's system would make more sense. The more I play, the less I understand when to attack the player and when to clear out creatures.

TB, yes, Dodger, sometimes, Jesse, rarely. Them together in the podcast is mostly fun though.

None of them are any good though. If you wanna learn you should watch Trump, Kripparrian or Artosis.

I like the game but I think some of the mechanics definitely needs refining. I really dislike the whole attack system; it's like some weird amalgamation of MTG and Yugioh, where you have no say in who blocks what but you can get hit in the face. I don't understand the point of it and I feel like it only makes the combat system slightly more complex than it needs to be. With Yugioh, the balance of attacker choosing what to attack is that the defending player takes any resulting damage and with Magic the defending player takes no damage when blocking a creature with another creature, unless the attacking creature has trample, while he can also choose to just eat the damage. Given that the the flavor of the creature's powers is more similar to MTG, I think adapting it's system would make more sense. The more I play, the less I understand when to attack the player and when to clear out creatures.

I thought HS can't be much simpler.

Taunts always block minions and not spells. You can attack whoever. If there's a row of taunts then you can attack any taunt. No taunts, you can attack any enemy. Who to attack is up to your strategy and skill.

Usually I think it's a better move to remove minions before attacking the opposing hero. The exceptions are rush decks and situations where you have lethal damage on the field (or will have it next turn).

I like the game but I think some of the mechanics definitely needs refining. I really dislike the whole attack system

My general strategy is to keep minions off the board or to force them into attacking one or two targets. So I generally have a lot of taunt and board clear spells. I'll add in a few minions with charge or card draw so I'm (hopefully) always ready to deal with what's coming.

Of course, then I go into arena and have a match where I've got 7 spells in my hand, no minions and 5 of those spells deal with enemy minions... of which there are none on the board because he's hitting me with spells.

Mage/mage matches suck.

Of course, then I go into arena and have a match where I've got 7 spells in my hand, no minions and 5 of those spells deal with enemy minions... of which there are none on the board because he's hitting me with spells.

Mage/mage matches suck.

Tell me about it :lol:
I think "mirror matches" like that are the least luck-based, though. What you put in your deck and when you decide to play certain cards make much more of a difference. But naturally there's still the luck of the draw element.

So yesterday I tried to play ranked and the first game ended in a server disruption. I was soundly ahead (of another mage, as it happens) and then the gameserver just quit. Counts as a loss, too, so down the ladder I went. Clearly even a million player Blizzard beta is a beta.

Been playing for 3 months or so, and yeah, it's still in beta for a reason. Several unbalance issues right now but in a competitive game like this, it's always like so. Right now I feel Mages and Priests are a royal pain in the ass to deal with, specially priests in ladder matches, mages moreso in Arena.

Some priest plays are completely insane... Like those minions which draw a card every time there's a heal, couple that with a taunt with large health (like shieldbearer which is completely useless otherwise) and they are by turn 3 or 4 with 9 cars in hand, ready to go with their special buffs and that Lightspawn piece of garbage (the minion's attack is equal to its health); buff it up with some +health buffs, and you're eating 10 damage every turn by turn 5 or so. Don't worry about playing neither low or high attack minions cos of shadow word death and shadow word pain, completely destroy them. And if by any miracle you reach turn 10 and play that one life saving creature and manage to buff it up somehow, the priest flips out his Mind control and your next move is going to the menu and conceding.

Tell me about it :lol:
I think "mirror matches" like that are the least luck-based, though. What you put in your deck and when you decide to play certain cards make much more of a difference. But naturally there's still the luck of the draw element.

Oh no, the kicker is half my deck was minions. I had four at the start (thank god for going second), I just wasn't drawing any. It was beyond frustrating. Really funny afterwards, though in a "WTF was that luck?" kind of way.

Been playing for 3 months or so, and yeah, it's still in beta for a reason. Several unbalance issues right now but in a competitive game like this, it's always like so. Right now I feel Mages and Priests are a royal pain in the ass to deal with, specially priests in ladder matches, mages moreso in Arena.

Some priest plays are completely insane... Like those minions which draw a card every time there's a heal, couple that with a taunt with large health (like shieldbearer which is completely useless otherwise) and they are by turn 3 or 4 with 9 cars in hand, ready to go with their special buffs and that Lightspawn piece of garbage (the minion's attack is equal to its health); buff it up with some +health buffs, and you're eating 10 damage every turn by turn 5 or so. Don't worry about playing neither low or high attack minions cos of shadow word death and shadow word pain, completely destroy them. And if by any miracle you reach turn 10 and play that one life saving creature and manage to buff it up somehow, the priest flips out his Mind control and your next move is going to the menu and conceding.

QFT

Fuck priests.