Game: Hearthstone

There's one combo I really want to make work just once. That's get a Core Hound (9/5) + switch health and attack + Power Word: Shieldx2 + Divine Spiritx2 + Inner Fire. If it works, and I have my math right, that's a 43/43 Core Hound who don't give no shits.

Only problem is, it'll never work because I'd have to be light on taunt which means as soon as my opponent knows what's up, he'll be open to attack.

Or just silences it. But yeah, ?ber combos are cool regardless.

So yesterday I played a mage who was at my rank (20 at the time), and played Ysera and Onyxia on consecutive turns, and then one of the regular 7/7 or 8/8 creatures. It did not end so great for her.

Removed Ysera, Flamestriked the Onyxia row, then was slightly in trouble with the big minion due to having used my big removals. Still, managed to freeze it with the 3 damage freezing strike, and kill it next turn. That game went on until our decks were exhausted, I literally killed her with my last cards.

Next up was a warrior with a weapon-based buff rush deck. He did about 10 damage per turn to my face until my Water Elemental just simply froze him and won me the game. He didn't have great removal or taunt, or was not topdecking it when it mattered, so he just died with lethal damage in his frozen hand. I probably got lucky when I pulled the water elemental, but I could've pulled an Ooze too and defeated his gimmick.

Buff heavy paladin decks are so crazy :lol: I just won a game with a 16-2 Boulderfist...

Is arena broken or do I just have bad luck? I just did two runs and on my first run, got the same person three out of four times (guess who my losses were to) and this last one, got the same person three times in a row.

So I've pretty much stopped playing Hearthstone. In the last ladder I got to about rank 15. I think my total stats are like ~180 overall, paladin & mage the highest @ level ~32.

I think I just leveled up high enough, that the matchmaking consistently gave me opponents who just curbstomped me. Every time.

I hadn't bought packs at all except one time, so I had only 1 random legendary in my collection. On the other hand, almost all opponents I got were gimmick decks with 2x or 3x cherry-picked legendaries. So I think I reached the glass roof of playing free-to-play.

Also I had basically all basic, expert, common and even most of rare cards, so 95% of the time, when I lost an arena, I got rewarded with nothing and had to grind the daily quests over 4 days to get the gold for the next run. When I did get something in the reward pack it was usually a crap rare or epic card. Blowing up useless cards for dust is so ineffective I got about 1000 dust over my total play time which is slightly over half a legendary. Naturally I never got a legendary from an arena reward pack, even over about 200 total wins.

It was also starting to become a pretty shallow experience as far as the variety of opponents. People just play safe classes and decks in constructed, even in casual. Very little imagination. 99% of decks for the most common classes have certain cards that absolutely everyone drafts. Third of every mage deck is hard removal. Every priest drafts every shadow word and the heal-buff/card-draw minions. And mind control.

Hardly anyone was playing anything except mage and priest. Occasionally a paladin with a divine shield / buff gimmick deck or a hunter solely for the card draw gimmick. Very rarely there was a druid taunt deck or a warlock murloc / boardspam deck but the insane popularity of hard removal makes those almost impossible to sustain. Even warrior rush decks were becoming rarer and rarer.

So yeah, I got danced over most of the time and there was hardly any personal advancement any more. Thus it stopped being fun to play. That's pretty sad because the game went from addicting and fun to utterly frustrating in only a couple of months.

Last edited:
Very rarely there was a druid taunt deck or a warlock murloc / boardspam deck but the insane popularity of hard removal makes those almost impossible to sustain. Even warrior rush decks were becoming rarer and rarer.

Weird, last time I played (about a week ago) I got 4 murloc decks in a row. Fucking infuriating pieces of shit those are. But yeah, it's just not feasible to play past a certain point when you don't sink time into it. Or buy your way through. Was fun, but I think its time on my harddrive is coming to an end.

Anyone still playing this? I've been enjoying the hell out of it since beta mainly because of arena mode, the free to play model works in your favor quite a bit after a couple of 12-win runs :D

Ranked play is a bit trickier since I lack most epics and legendaries but I was able to get to rank 5 with a Warlock "zoo" deck a few seasons ago.

I'm playing as well, although just enough to get the daily quests. It is quite a lot of fun, although like any limited strategy game, it does get repetitive after a while.
Should play more Arena, got 9 wins max so far, but I find making my own decks too satisfying.

Proud of this pack:
pZaWzln.jpg

I'd quite like to try out a hand warlock or freeze mage deck, but just don't have the cards for it. So in the meantime arena is a great way to have a level playing field and earn more stuff. There's a lot more skill to it than some people think, despite all the randomness.

The only semi proper deck I can manage is Zoolock, which works decent enough in the current meta. Handlock is definitely better, but I'm missing the frost giants.

Arena is very much about skill, both in picking the cards and gaining board control efficiently. RNG is always there in any game, just something to live with.

Last edited:
I can almost put together a very strong Shaman but have to settle for bloodlust instead of doomhammer and/or Al'Akir.

I play run an Arena occasionally and do the daily quests when I have time.

I fucking hate "the meta". Play mode would be a lot more fun if people weren't so scared of doing their own thing (making their own decks). It gets quite repetitive to fight the same zoolocks, miracle rogues, direct damage mages, etc. all the time.

Also I have a lot of games (and a lot of wins) under my belt and haven't received any legendary. The only time I got one, I'd bought the pack (for gold), and it was Onyxia - mostly unplayable. In the mean time I mostly lose to charging legendaries if I lose (Leeroy, Ragnaros, King Krush, etc). It gets pretty annoying at times.

I'm not complaining though, Arena is fun and quite balanced in a weird random way. I even beat the Arena for the first time some time ago with a 12-2 hunter draft. Obviously it had legendaries in it.

Last edited:
I got lucky to pull Cairne Bloodhoof from a pack, my only "real" (playable) legendary. King Crush is generally considered pretty bad, I don't think I've ever run into him past the low-rank ladder. At least until webspinner was a thing. I do have Gruul and Baron Geddon but the only deck I've seen play the Baron is the legendary warrior that basically has all the legends. I also got King Crush at some point but don't actually remember when that happened.

Still haven't spent a cent on the game and don't plan to, got two 12-0 arenas this weekend :D

As far as the meta goes, there are a few decks that are really just un-fun to play against, your play feels irrelevant they win if they hit their draws and lose if they don't. Mirage rogue, freeze mage, face hunter. And yes I still want to make a freeze mage.

There's a whole lot of RNG going on in the cards revealed so far. Not that the game is currently lacking in randomness.

I do wonder what other synergies we'll see in the set, so far the "mech deck" is obvious.

I've been playing a bit every day for a few months and have racked up some nice legendaries. Currently at rank 5 on the ladder with a combination of Control Warrior and Handlock. Warrior is really good against aggro, and Handlock is really good against control, so it's nice to switch back and forth. Mostly been playing Warrior though since there are just way too many mindless hunters running around and this deck shuts them down rather well.

Last edited: