heel-toe

heel-toe

• Yeah! All the time!

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Once in a while.

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Only when racing / driving in a spirited manner.

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Hardly ever / never although I know how to.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I'm horrible at it so I don't even bother.

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • I'm learning the craft!

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Don't know how to do it.

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Heel-toe? Wat dat?

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
I'd love to be able to, but I don't think I could ever match that. I can double declutch, but I am far from perfecting heel-an-toe braking. Blipping the throttle while braking and downshifting is going to take a lot more practice.

I've only had a manual for a few weeks now but I've been experimenting with heel-toe on some nice twisty roads I've found. Props on having a Miata btw, and best of luck!

I have to say I'm pretty damn good at it. I've even started doing double-clutch heel-toe downshifts. Just takes lots of practice. I do it almost every day. :lol:

Not physically possible for me. I still wear shoes from the children's section and my foot can't reach.

Not physically possible for me. I still wear shoes from the children's section and my foot can't reach.

You just need better pedal placement in your car.

My feet are size 10 and I can't do it in my car because the pedals sit so damn far apart.

I know how, but the pedal placement in my CJ7 makes it impossible.

I did manage to get pretty good at it while driving my dad's Mazdaspeed6 though. Oddly enough I found the best shoe I had for that were my birkenstocks :blink:

What car has the pedals close enough for my feet then? :p
Fun fact. I still fit in shoes I wore in 7th grade.

I only heal toe when i am driving in a spirited manner but i ALWAYS rev match no matter what. If the shitty ass transmission in the GTX has taught me anything it's that you should take very very very very good care of you synchros.

Yeah, I can do it in my dad's VW Polo back in Europe. Although, with 50bhp there is not much point ;)

In the Miata it's more of a big toe-pinky toe, really using just the sides of your feet. Not sure how anyone could twist their leg to pop it with their heel? Much like the Senna video I suppose.

I heel toe 100% of the time, mostly because of the fun factor.
At this point I have to actually THINK if I want to NOT heel toe. :blink:

I only heal toe when i am driving in a spirited manner but i ALWAYS rev match no matter what. If the shitty ass transmission in the GTX has taught me anything it's that you should take very very very very good care of you synchros.

Simply rev-matching won't do anything for your synchros. If you want to match shaft speeds you double clutch and rev match while in neutral with the clutch out.

You need a miata :p or just bend the pedals closer. Oh, and get a manual :p

You can rev match an automatic.

Last edited:
I understand the theory, but I suck at it, so I don't bother. Every time I get it in my head to practice, I feel like I'm fucking up my car trying to learn.

I've never done it and really wouldn't know how to do it properly. It's a driving technique I would love to learn though.

It's easy as hell. Just clutch in and move the gearshift as normal, but before you clutch out, tap the throttle to raise the RPM by 1500-2000 depending on the car's gearing and clutch out. If the car jerks you did it wrong, if you feel nothing you did it right. The RPMs only need to be within about 1000 of the target road speed to make it feel perfectly smooth, and it's better to over-rev than under rev.

Most trouble usually stems from putting the feet in the wrong place and having trouble hitting the gas with the side of the foot.

I started learning by first trying to reach the gas pedal with my foot while on the brake pedal alone, I did not try to shift at all yet.
I also made sure I only did that when nobody was around just to be sure.
After doing only that for a few weeks/months, then I added doing the actual shift and very slowly and deliberately at first.
A few days / weeks later it was pretty much second nature.

As you can tell I wanted to make sure I didn't wreck my clutch / gearbox / car in the process of learning it.

Last edited:
Wait...what? How? I wanna try it with the Volvo :)

Yep. You just have to learn the timing of your gearbox. If you pull the lever from 3 to 2 you just learn how long it takes to change and give the throttle a prod as it changes. It still doesn't make it totally smooth but it removes a lot of the jerking.