heel-toe

heel-toe

• Yeah! All the time!

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Once in a while.

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Only when racing / driving in a spirited manner.

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Hardly ever / never although I know how to.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I'm horrible at it so I don't even bother.

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • I'm learning the craft!

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Don't know how to do it.

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Heel-toe? Wat dat?

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
I keep trying it on my NA, but the throttle is just too low in relation to the brake pedal.

So brake harder.

http://img684.imageshack.**/img684/174/trollface.png

justvisiting

Car(s)
e46 bmw
I've been doing it since I started driving - but its not called for in most street driving situations where you have SOOO much time. I find no reason to jump onto the brakes as I come into a turn, Ill typically just double clutch then brake then turn in; unless I know no one else is around. Also there are so many speed bumps and crap on the road - i don't like to throw in unnecessary variables. What can I say I think ive become a square.

Komeuppance

Mr. Old Man Merc
Car(s)
The best car... in the world.
You can do that without heel toe, but it increases clutch wear and driveline stress. It's just kinder to rev match.

It's not just "kinder", it also upsets the car in some circumstances... but mostly it's wasting time you could be accelerating.

-Robert

MadCat360

Forum Addict
Car(s)
*Carless* Waaahhh
It's not just "kinder", it also upsets the car in some circumstances... but mostly it's wasting time you could be accelerating.

-Robert

Only if you're close to the limit. Which, if you are on public roads, shame on you.

But you should still rev match to be kind.

Last edited:

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I've been driving my mum's volvo over the weekend and I've been trying the heel toe method. It's pretty fun. It works great for those especially short highway off ramps.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia Combi 1.0TSI DSG, Hyundai Kona 1.0
I can do it, but it feels unnatural to me.
I don't really see the fun in it, though, whereas double declutching is teh awesome and makes you feel like a 1980s rally driver

(skip to about 0:44)

simjen

Car(s)
98 JDM WRX - 300+hp, Lotus 7 with 20V Toyota Power
always done it, did lots of club racing when younger so always had the need. See it as second nature now and always do it on the road. Makes for faster smoother progress with less stress on my WRX's already fragile box.
Dabble with a bit of Left foot braking too when the need arises!

Car(s)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (USDM)
I don't really see the fun in it, though, whereas double declutching is teh awesome and makes you feel like a 1980s rally driver

(skip to about 0:44)
Maybe I'm missing something, but I think I only see heel-toe-ing in that video and no double declutching? :unsure:

justvisiting

Car(s)
e46 bmw
Its pretty hard to see in the video- its pretty frenetic... but i think the :44 are singles and aroudn 1:57-2:06 those are dbls.
I'm more curious as to why he stabs the clutch under brakes without HnT, is he trying to get a more aggressive trail brake/slide by unsettling the rear with a shiftlock? i really want to try driving fast now.