Hell on Earth

I just drove home and realized that it's not the Malibu, it's the Impala. Not that it makes a difference, the car still blows harder than one of these:
I see you'll be doing this review with complete objectivity in mind :lol:. Sorry to here about the set backs.

Only GM can make a car so badly, that you don't care what it's called, you just want to drive anything else. I can empathise with you on that, I had to rent a Chevrolet Uplander people carrier/minivan when some idiot crashed into the back of my Altima. That was the worst car I've ever driven, everything about it was horrible and revolting.

Now imagine paying $60,000 for all that crap and you get.... guess what? The Cadillac Escalade.

@ Blind: Hypersonic wind tunnel :lmao:

I see you'll be doing this review with complete objectivity in mind :lol:. Sorry to here about the set backs.

Actually it does show I'm objective. Once I realized the car wasn't the Malibu but the higher-end Impala my opinion did not change; if anything this shows I was judging the car on it's merits, not the badges glued to the boot lid.

I'm back at the hospital now, it looks like my dad will go back on the ventilator for the next few nights until the pneumonia clears out. I just hope he can fight it off again, spinal cord injuries affect the autonomic nervous system and the autoimune response.

Update:

Good: My dad is still making progress
Bad: He's contracted pneumonia again, which has knocked him on his proverbial ass
Good: We are getting bids for residential elevators and modifications to the house
Bad: My mom's S80 developed a problem with the central locking and had to go in for service
Good: They said they would give us a loaner car
Bad: They were out of loaner cars
Good: so they rented me one
Bad: a Chevy Malibu

And all that was by 10:00 AM today. More later, and a driving review of the *gag* Malibu. (I feel the need to rant about something).

They should've given you a Hummer... :hmm: SOBs...

"Next week, on Embarrassing Sexual Accidents..."

"I was just cleaning out the machine in my bathrobe, when it fell open and my penis accidently got sucked through......."

Update:

Sorry for how long it's been.

My dad was having a rough go of it, he was really pale and tired all the time - but that didn't stop him from pushing the clunker of a wheelchair the length of a football field for physical therapy! The chair is a high-back design and not one of the nice lightweight ones (anyone know if Lotus makes a wheel chair?) The wheels on this thing are horrible - the plastic flexes between the spokes so it's like trying to push it through sand. Not that it mattered to my dad, he pushed on anyway.

Good to see he's blasting through therapy, even with the sucky chairs the hospitals provide. If you ever want some tips on chairs or anything, just let me know (I've been in a chair since '98 ). Quickie makes some really nice lightweight titanium chairs, which is what I use personally:

9245.jpg

They are very modifiable, so if you need to put a higher back on for more upper back support, it's not a problem. The only thing with the "sporty" chairs is that they are more prone to tip over backwards, so having some anti-tip or "wheelie" bars on the back will definitely save a guy from cracking his head open if he accidentally tips back (sometimes just throwing your arms back for a stretch will send you back if you're not careful). I really need to get some for my chair. I've always ordered my chairs without them, but I've had some close calls where I've gone over backwards, but was lucky enough to catch myself with my arms so I didn't get too hurt, but still they were close calls, so I think I'm going to get me some anti-tip bars one of these days.

Anyway, glad to hear he's still pushing onward and keeping his spirits high. Having a positive attitude makes all the difference when it comes to dealing with spinal cord injuries.

Here's a sweet vid he may want to check out:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=b-6zVcPY6PA[/YOUTUBE]

:thumbup:

Sorry for being slow on the updates.

My dad has had another setback; this past weekend he got pneumonia (again) and a bladder infection. We got both of those knocked out but he's still really tired and out of it. His white cell count is up but we can't find the source of the infection; they are doing all kinds of tests to see if they can narrow it down. With how weak he got they had to put him back on the vent for several hours and postpone taking out his traech (again).

I've been pretty swamped, we have a contractor and an architect lined up to make the changes to the house we need. The architect comes in today to take his measurements so he can get to work on the structural drawings. The soonest he can be done with the designs is after the new year. I really like this guy, he will come spot check construction and he knows what to look for since he used to work in construction. He has been doing this for over 30 years and his son is part of his business, but the biggest thing is that his wife sufferes from a degenerative condition and has also spent time in a chair so he knows first-hand how much space we need and the challenges we face.

Both the architect and the contractor specialize in remodels (many just want to do new construction) and have lots of experience working on houses in our area which were all built around the 1950s with similar construction techniques. Some of these homes are very hard to remodel without tearing them down, and these guys specialize in doing just that.

jeffy777
Thanks so much for that information. Right now we are not sure what kind of chair he will have, but I suspect he may start out in a power chair and transition to a manual sometime down the road. I will certainly contact you if we have any questions. The rehab unit does the chair fittings and has a variety of manual chairs on had to test drive. Since he will probably be going home in a power chair I am trying to get him in on the trials of the iBot chair.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dads setbacks Blind, but it sounds like you've found yourself a good architect. I was just visiting a hospital the other day to see my grandma, and your dad wasn't far from my thoughts.

He's back on track and doing well.

Oh, and THE TRAECH-TUBE CAME OUT TODAY! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!

Best news of the week! Very happy to hear that! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

:clap:

ftw

:cheers: