Hell on Earth

Thank you all for your kind words. I will post updates as they become available (as in, as soon as I have the time and energy following an event - expect some delay).

Right now there has been no change. We have no word from the hospital yet and my mom and I are trying to get a bit of rest and some food. It's hard with all this going on. My brother is getting emergency leave (for sure) and we hope he makes it back here by Friday at the latest.

The good news is that my dad is in some of the best hands in the world. The University of Utah has a state-of-the-art hospital that is always one of the best in the nation for a whole host of specialties, including neurology and nuclear medicine. He has no fewer than three surgical teams overseeing his care and a very no-nonsense nurse. (she actually went to shout at the pharmacist because the bags she requested were not delivered in a timely manner).

While this if very trying for us all, I have the upmost faith in my father's doctors. What worries me is how he will handle living with a fused spine and other life-long ailments that will result from this. My dad is in better physical health now than he was 20 years ago, at my brother's wedding he had to get a new uniform because his old one didn't fit anymore - Oh, it fit around the middle fine, his shoulders were too big.

I'm afraid this injury will damage him more mentally than it has physically, especially since we don't know the full extent of his head trauma yet.

Wow, situations like these are terrible...as many people said, hang on and ask us if there's something we can do.

Not quite the Doom II thread I thought this would be...hope he pulls a Hammond and recovers well, and my hopes are with you and your dad.

I am very sorry to hear mate, I hope for the best in the days, weeks and months to come.

It's good you have faith in the doctors, I'm positive they'll take care of your dad. My mom had septicemia about eight years ago and it was literally a life and death situation. Thankfully she made a full recovery and I hope your dad makes one too, medical miracles can happen.

I'm glad he's in the hands of the best doctors on Earth, because I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. My thoughts are definitely with you, and I'm definitely hoping for the best.

Like others have said medical miracles do happen, and I know this first hand. So keep yo' fuzzy chin up!

Wow, I know the sensation, my father had a major heart attack a couple years ago and we nearly lost him. We're all pulling for your dad!

That's just horrible. I hope your dad is able to recover.

My grandfather recently had a stroke. He went in for surgery twice, but was rushed into the ER earlier this weekend. They shut off life support on Monday. He was a crazy old man and I can't believe I won't see him again.

Sorry to hear this Blind. When things like this happen, it's important to take it in one day, one hour, minute or second at a time. Wish you and yours the best and hope your Dad makes a full recovery.

Like everyone else has said before my thoughts are with you. My family is going through a similar ordeal, although it's to a lesser extent. My mom's mother could pass away at any moment. Just keep your chin up and keep your thoughts positive.

Shit Blind, I hope he pulls through, as best as possible anyway. My hearts with you and your family. Just 2 years ago I got a call from my dad saying, "Oh yeah, I'm at the hospital, they're going to do a quintuple bypass on me tonight, I'll call you later ..." Crazy old man wound up having some pretty nasty complications and was in the hospital for 3 months, but pulled through thanks to some amazing doctors. It sounds like your pop is in equally capable hands, if anyone can help him they can.

Whoa. I wasn't expecting anything like this when I saw the thread title! This is terrible!

I really hope his condition improves and that your family has the strength to deal with this.

Dude, that's just terrible. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hope your dad gets through this OK.

Fuck, man. :hug:

UPDATE:

My dad went in for a full-body MRI late last night. Those take hours to do so my mom and I went home to try to sleep. It's currently just after 6 AM and he will be going in for surgery at 7. We are on our way up to the hospital.

I have read her all your wonderful wishes - they mean so much to us right now, I can't even express it (and when I'm lost for words, that's saying something). We will probably be at the hospital all day, but I will try to post an update on the surgery outcome as soon as I can.