Hell on Earth

Sheesh, I don't know what to say. If this happend to me I'd be devastated.

I hope everything turns out for the best with a full recovery. Hope to hear some posative updates. Good to hear he's in good hands!

Good to hear there's some progress. Keep it on that road, I'll hold my thumbs that everything turns out well. :yes:

I am very pleased its going so well - first steps on the journey to recovery, it may be long, but I am sure he will make it.

jeffy777 said:
I was going through some hardcore hallucinations from the morphine and other meds, and I had no idea that I was even in a hospital.
My dad was on a lot of morphine after his heart surgery, and he had all these conspiracy theories playing out in his head. Crazy, spy novel shit, it was hilarious, well at least it was after he sobered up :lol:.

Glad to hear the surgery went so well Blind. If I can wake my butt up Sunday I'll get to church and pray for your dad proper, and I don't do that very often ;).

Having been through this kind of situation several times in the last year, I understand how scared and upset you are, but when your dad recovers (and he will recover fully, modern medicine is incredible), this will be one of those things that make you feel closer.

My brother landed late last night - he's on emergency leave from his unit in Germany. Tomorrow (Sunday) I fly to Oakland to put my affairs in order there for an extended stay at home in Salt Lake.

The doctors were hoping to extubate my dad last night, but he had too much mucus in his lungs to support his own breathing. The spinal injury has thrown his autonomic nervous system out of whack so the lungs are getting false messages to produce mucus, a natural protective barrier. They had to re-intubate Dad, which is really hard on him because he has a narrow airway. They also tried to get a feeding tube into him but could not make it past his deviated septum. A 15 minute procedure took over two hours and we were right back where we started, but with much more wear-and-tear on my dad's system. Today he had a large liver-clot (not in the liver, it's a type of clot) that came out of his nose and he said "Yes" when I asked if his sinuses were clogged up. All that is from trying to get the damn feeding tube in. Now they are going to have to do a tracheotomy for a breathing tube and a gastric feeding tube (right into the GI tract through his side). The problem with the tracheotomy is that it's very close to the surgery where they fused his vertebra together and they are worried about re-injuring that or possibly causing infection. They also sent a sample of his lung excretions to the lab because they are worried he might have developed an infection there.

For the good news:
He is regaining more and more feeling in his body and his strength has nearly doubled in the past day.

I'm on a plane tomorrow morning, but I will be returning to Salt Lake tomorrow evening. My brother will help out in my absence. Our extended family has been really supportive, tonight my aunt (Dad's sister) made dinner for us and had it on our stove when we got home. Tonight her son came by with a load of groceries so she could come over and cook us a home-made meal for dinner tomorrow (she said she would also clean up for us). My mom's friends are handling all airport rides, because the husband is a police detective and can park where ever the hell he wants at the airport. Cards are starting to arrive from all over, and all your well wishes are making a real difference. My dad has always been tuned into "The Force" (for lack of a better term) and overall he is doing really well, and I thank everyone who sent positive thoughts, prayers and energy his way for that.

Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers, we have a long road ahead.

Will do bud, definitely will do :thumbup:

Good Luck to you all mate. Glad there is some feeling returning. Sounds like your family are really strong and supportive.

All the best!!

Terrible thing to happen, but it seems it is going well.
Hope he makes a full recovery. Best of luck to all of you.

Sounds like some good news and a little bad news. I think all your family's help to make life easier will certainly raise spirits, make life easier, and he'll pick up on that. Again mate, here's hoping for a speedy recovery and a healthy father for the holidays.

Glad to hear the good news!

Good to hear the news Blind. Let's hope your father keeps on the track of recovery and that the help of your family help him overcome this ordeal even quicker.

All hopes with your father, hope he gets well & gets well soon.

Why does god put walls on our way? For us to overcome...

Last edited: