Hell on Earth

Steve,

It's great to hear that you are doing better everyday!

I was in a car accident when I was 17 (I'm 26 now) which also left me with a spinal cord injury, so I can truly relate to you in this situation. Stay strong and don't let anything get you down. Keeping a positive outlook will go a long way!

You are in my prayers, and if you ever want to talk to someone who's also dealt with a spinal cord injury, just let me know :)

Never give up!

Hoping for the best,
Jeff

Steve,

I'm glad to hear how well you've been doing these past few weeks. I have a rather good good idea of what you you and your family must have went through, after my mother suffered a stroke a few years ago. It seems lady luck is smiling on both our families, considering how well you are progressing. (Mom's stroke was caught early enough that she's basically the same as before now.) I've been keeping you and your family in my prayers, and here's hoping this progress continues.

Daniel

Steve,
Yet another anonymous person on the other side of the internet (in this case from England). I don't really know what I can add over what's already been said; Blind_Io (the name your son goes by on this forum) has built himself a good reputation through all his posts on this forum. He's said plenty of good things about his family, and so something like this has left us all affected in some way. It is clear that you are a strong-willed person - well done on pulling through this far. It's very reassuring to hear good news - those are always the points to focus on and work towards the next good step.
All the best to you and your family.

-Max

Sir,

Though remotely disconnected by borders, seas, states and cities, we here at the Final Gear internet forum have taken a great and concerned interest in your well being and health since your accident several days ago. All of us wish you a fast recovery.

I think all of us can relate to how the Fates can maliciously turn against a person, but it is the will of the individual to fight back and not accept the path to which they were unceremoniously thrown on to. We have read about your shining path of progress, and also, of your son's absolute dedication to his father at your time of need.

For the past two years I have gotten to know your son David, and I can vouch that you and your wife's rearing of your child has produced an outstanding member of society, of this internet forum and civilization as a whole. Please keep that in your thoughts as you fight against what ails you, as your family stands by you, and will always stand by you, through good times and bad.

Stay strong,

Jay and Sonia.

Dear Steve,

I was quite shocked when I read the news about you, but I'm glad to hear that you're doing better now. I can understand what you and your family must be going through right now, and I can somewhat relate. My uncle's parents had come all the way from India to visit him in Novato. I had met them on several occasions and though we weren't blood related I felt a strong connection to them, especially my uncle's father and his brother. They stayed for a couple of months and the day before they were slated to leave, my uncle's father had suffered a stroke. He was in seemingly critical condition and we thought we'd lose him. Yet somehow he recovered just fine and the relief was very much palpable. I had met him afterwards and he powered on with no fear or sign of distress whatsoever, and that taught me to be strong through such times as well.

Your son is a very cool individual. It's been great to get to know him the past (however long I've been here). I was surprised to find someone very close to where I'm located (Berkeley), and so I sent him a message exclaiming how awesome that fact was. He said that we should get beers sometime. This would be great and I'm down for it, but since I'm only 20, I was wondering if you could give me a few months before I treat you both :p.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Stay strong and give my regards to your son.

-Harish

Steve, as best as I can tell you've got a great son there beside you and a great family to support you. Not to mention you've got half the internet pulling for you now. (Okay maybe not half, but there are quite a few of us!) Like so many of these guys I can empathize with what you and your family are going through, and our well-wishes and prayers are as genuine as anything. Well, discounting anything you've seen if they've got you on a morphine drip. Personally I've put myself in a hospital bed way more than I should've in 21 years of living, and my father's 58 and the same way. We know what it is to fight; it sounds like you do too. You've got to keep your head up, and absolutely never give up the hope that tomorrow will be better! It does get better guys, I promise.

Tyler - pulling for you out here in BFE, Kansas.

Thank you all for your kind messages, I read every one of them to my dad and he sends his thanks. I really think they made a difference. I'm sorry that I have not been as diligent in my updates, but at the end of the day I don't even have the energy to make dinner, let alone post.

My dad has gotten out of bed and into a chair twice (with another planned for today). It's quite the ordeal, nurses, nurses' aids, a respiratory therapist (and a pet ventilator), and a physical therapist. He was so happy to get outside and feel the sun and the breeze; he's only seen the inside of a hospital room for three weeks. He also got his first few showers over the past week, much better than a nurse's sponge-bath (I don't care how cute she is, those things are teh suck). His first two showers were really overwhelming; when you think about it, it makes sense. His nervous system is still recovering and many of the filters that make global sensation manageable are not functioning. I went and took a look at the shower room and talked to his nurse. I proposed using lower pressure on the shower wands, and only using one at a time. They cleared out a second shower room that is equipped with a flow control, and his most recent shower was much better.

The enormity of the situation is finally starting to sink in, in a recent assessment they determined that my dad's injury is at the C5 level. To put that in perspective: tricep, wrist curling, and finger movement all happen at C6, C7 and T1. The only muscle group he has good strength in right now is his bicep. They say that they usually see some improvement one to two groups down from the injury, but it's unlikely he will ever get his grasp back or the dexterity to play his guitars and banjos or participate in any shooting sports (something he did weekly before The Accident).

It's been a week of ups and downs. As I type they are getting ready to get him up into a wheelchair again, so there is lots of activity. Also, we finally got him off the Level 2 Diet (Puree'd food) and onto a regular meal plan.

Thank you all again for you wonderful messages, they mean so much to us all - especially him.

Always good to hear he's making progress!

So glad to hear an update :thumbup:

Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.

Blind,

Good to hear that things are starting to improve. With all that's happening it's understandable that you're starting to feel worn down, but for the sake of your family (especially your dad), you need to keep up your strength - both mental and physical.

Steve,

I wish you all the best in your recovery. I'm sure that with the strong support of your son you will pull through this difficult time. The road may be long and dificult but always remember that with the love and support of those around, you can overcome anything.

Regards,
Michael (from Australia)

Always glad to hear about progress Blind, I know you've got a lot on your mind and a lot to do.

Guys, I just read my dad the latest messages from you all - it really lifted his spirits. It was a difficult day today, but it ended pretty well - due in no small part to all of you.

Dr. Daubs, the spinal surgeon who repaired my dad's neck, came by to check on him. Here in rehab they focus on worst-case-scenario planning while hoping and working for the best. Over the past few days I think we have all gotten a little depressed with the worst-case-scenario planning; I asked Dr. Daubs what the chances were for my dad to get functioning back to the T1 level (fingers and grip). Dr. Daubs reminded us that my dad has an "incomplete injury" and that "all bets are off." "It's very possible that he will walk again."

That was a wonderful reality check to re-focus us on The Prize.

Once again, my mother, father and myself can not thank you all enough; your incredible ongoing support is a highlight to every day - especially my dad. He asks for me to read him the thread updates almost every day.

Thank you all.

I'm amazed by how strong you and your family are. The way you take charge and always seem to know what's best for him - even more so than the nurses from time time, based on what you've written - is amazing. That thing with the shower pressure? Most people wouldn't have thought about that - they just would have forced themselves through the stress and discomfort and just accepted that "the healing process" is painful. Not you tho. You saw a way to fix it.

Many, many people would just sit in a tormented ball of helplessness and worry, just waiting and hoping that the doctors and nurses will take care of everything for them. I would feel awkward and uncomfortable if I had to give this kind of care to my own father (because we don't have a very strong relationship and hell, I'm willing to admit I'm not a very strong person myself) but you seem to have a hell of a lot of gumption! You seem to be doing for him what he can't do for himself... If he's as strong as you I'm confident that once he's able to take the situation into his own hands he'll improve in leaps and bounds, my friend!

I truly believe that no matter the outcome, you lot have a much better chance of dealing with it than most. And the ability to deal with it is the most important thing of all.

Best of wishes, but it seems your dad is in good hands. I know from my Families experience the best thing that can happen is to pull together, sadly i know this from the opposing perspective (my parents got devorced as soon as my mother recovered from her surgery for Breast Cancer)

I think the best advice i can give is to not let it get you down when people don't take injuries and or surgery as seriously as they should. You might get a little PO'd because people will keep expecting better then realistic results for your dad, if this is the case then maybe you can take comfort in the fact that your not alone. Besides that i think the best thing is that it seems your family is there for your father, whatever the outcome i think that is the most important thing for your father.

I wish your family the best of luck, and no-matter what just remember its best to be honest with each-other, that always pulled what little left we had of our family together.

Blind, Steve & family - I should thank you, your updates remind me of how thinking positively is the name of the game. How strong you've all been through this is inspiring. I've no doubt you'll keep it up. Even though I don't personally know any of you, hearing that Steve may walk again is the best news I've had in a long while. Hang tough guys.

Last edited:
Blind, Steve & family - I should thank you, your updates remind me of how thinking positively is the name of the game. How strong you've all been through this is inspiring. I've no doubt you'll keep it up. Even though I don't personally know any of you, hearing that Steve may walk again is the best news I've had in a long while. Hang tough guys.

I completely agree. The way you guys are getting through is just fantastic to read about.

Steve, your son is a credit to you and your wife. Absolute gentleman and a great part of this little community. Best of luck with your road to recovery Steve, stay strong and keep in those good spirits.

Regards,
Hamish