Hello and first Question-

Status
Not open for further replies.

EridanMan

Hey Guys,

I'm about two months from purchasing a new car... high on my list are-

WRX STi - 300/300, sporty, pratical... and completely classless
RX-8 - Underpowered by the numbers, but a spectacular drive behidn the wheel... kinda impractical.
G-35 Coupe - Test drove and wasn't too impressed but... looks decent and nice interior..
'01 M3 - if I can find one for 35-38ish I just might push for it, but I'm not pressing my luck...

So yeah, I guess A- I'm always looking for suggestions from other car-guys (and I'm open to anything at this point), so I'd love to hear your feedback on this list, and B- Wondering if anyone has either Top Gear or Fifth Gear reviews of these two cars...

I just recently discovered this show... Damn I wish It broadcast here, I'd watch it every week... I guess I'll have to settle for viewing them online though... oh dear.

So yeah, thanks for putting up this site, if anyone has any clips of the cars I've mentioned, I'd love to hear it, or if you just want to tell me I'm an idiot for my taste in cars, lets see what you got:p

-Scott

Though WRX's are kick ass (my friend has one) and they have insane traction. The only thing I disliked is that their radios are shit. :lol:

Well.. hmm I think you know which one would be my pick..

rx8n_8x6.jpg

8) :p

Eridan Man, simple, go with an SL55 AMG. lol i know its not on the list but its a helluva ride, i wish i had one, :( .

More seriously it depends of your needs.. The M3 is an amazing car but can be pretty expensive to insure/keep in good shape. And it's not very practical.. Nor is the G35 Coupe.. very small trunk and the rear places are kinda useless. The 8 is sporty yet it is practical and is more refined than the Sti. But the Sti is very powerful and if you like this kind of car well I don't know how you can also consider the 3 others...

The 8 is also smaller than a WRX and personally, I dunno if I would want it to be my only car...

Personally, I think M3's are actually about the most practical car on that list.... or at least M3 and STi ties for practicality. The RX-8 would make an awfully rough only-car... but I don't have all that much stuff, and it was SO much fun to drive...

I think its probably going to come down to whether or not I Can find a decent-enough deal on an e46 m3/whether I can afford it. When it comes down to it, the m3 has been my dream car for YEARS... I simply love those machines... The STi/RX-8 will probably battle it out if the M3 doesn't happen though.

Anyone have the Top-Gear/Fifth Gear review of the Rx-8? I _REALLY_ want to see it.

thanks

-Scott

I do. :)

EridanMan said:
Personally, I think M3's are actually about the most practical car on that list.... or at least M3 and STi ties for practicality. The RX-8 would make an awfully rough only-car... but I don't have all that much stuff, and it was SO much fun to drive...

I think its probably going to come down to whether or not I Can find a decent-enough deal on an e46 m3/whether I can afford it. When it comes down to it, the m3 has been my dream car for YEARS... I simply love those machines... The STi/RX-8 will probably battle it out if the M3 doesn't happen though.

Anyone have the Top-Gear/Fifth Gear review of the Rx-8? I _REALLY_ want to see it.

thanks

-Scott

I have it too.

BTW the M3 has prolly more trunk space than the 8 and maybe mroe than the STi too (not sure) but I don't think it's more practical for a daily driver than an 8 for example. The trunk space in the 8 isn't big but well it's bigger than the 350Z and you can sit two adults in the back which i'M not too sure you can do in a Sti.. The Sti AWD may be a big advantage depending on where you live (didn't look at your profile) but anyway it's up to you, your needs and your taste :)

What is a G-35 Coup??

My pick of the three I know anything about there is the M3. A friend of mine drove me round the N?rburgring Nordschleife in his M3 and it felt really good there. That engine is marvellous as long as it has been serviced properly.

I really enjoyed driving the RX-8 too and for the money it costs it's a bargain.

The WRX is ugly and thirsty. Not to my liking at all...

A G35 Coupe is also known as the current version Skyline in Japan

g352.jpg

g355.jpg

And Although I'm young (only 16) I can't say the STi is apprealing to me... it's overdone.. looks like a toy :lol:

o_O :lol: That's the Skyline over there? OMFG

So you want four seats?
I would say 350Z but it only has two, shame.

Viper007Bond said:
o_O :lol: That's the Skyline over there? OMFG

Well yes... it's the new skyline... They should get a GTR Twin Turbo Version soon in Japan but yeah. it's a big drop from the previous gen :?

Cavsta said:
So you want four seats?
I would say 350Z but it only has two, shame.

Yeah the G35 Coupe is a 350Z with 4 seats and a better interior although it's still the cheap part of the car. And the VQ makes only 7HP less so it performs pretty good too. And looks better than a 350Z IMO.

Yuck, no way. The Z looks much better.

Oh yeah, show me? 8)

Personal-made stats :p Ayway i respect your choice, the Z isn't ugly but the G35 is classier and looks more upscale IMO

I purchased a WRX STI about three months ago, and I love it.

Stock it doesn't come with a stereo, so Viper007Bond, I think your comments were about a WRX, not a WRX STI (world of difference I'm told).
It also doesn't come with floor mats. :?

There is enough room in the back seat to fit people comfortably, (more room than the RX-8 by the looks of it).
The trunk seems plenty big.

I'm not a great driver (not even remotely close to a Tiff or a Stig), and I haven't been to a track day or haven't tried autocross yet, but I intend to learn.
So I'm certainly not the best judge of the capabilities of the car, but the 1:30.1 time on the Top Gear track should say a lot (I'm not certain how similar that Type UK model, is to the USDM).

To me the car seems to be practical enough:
The ride is stiff, but not bone-jarring.
It is easy to drive for daily driving (has cruise control).
The gas mileage isn't the greatest if you drive it "enthusiastically" (around 17mpg city), but I have gotten 24mpg out of it once (highway).
I intend to drive it all year round as a daily driver, including this winter (as soon as my winter rims come in).
Oh yeah, you can absolutely NOT drive the summer tires in the winter, they behave like slicks. :D

It was amazing to me how much better this car is than my other car, a 93 Firebird Formula.

Top Gear had an episode with the STI, (you might still find it on Kazaa) :
hco_topgear.2003.06.15.WRX-STi-TUK_vs_EvoVIII.divx503.avi

Status
Not open for further replies.