Help, Fraps problems

awdrifter

Since I couldn't get GameCam to work, I went back to Fraps. But for some reason, the video file Fraps recorded can't be open with any video players. I tried MPC (w/CCCP), VLC, and WMP. None of them can open the file. MPC gives me the "cannot render file" error. WMP give me the "unable to play this file" error, and VLC give me the "unknow error" message. The file size seems to be correct for the video file too, it's 2.06GB for about 5 mins of footage. The game I'm trying to record is Stranglehold, does it have some kind of anti-recording protection? Thanks.

Fraps does make big files D: I have never gotten an error before, are you using the full version or the trial? Or else it's because you exit the game before you stop recording.

I'm using the full version, I stopped the recording before I exit the game too. Let me record a new file real quick and show you a screenshot of the error.

Tried it, still the same error.

http://img149.imageshack.**/img149/3228/stranglefrapsch6.jpg

I think I'll just cam it, I can set up two monitors and just use a camcorder to record it.

Try a different game? Hell, open a Top Gear in WMP and hit record. If you have hardware acceleration enabled, it'll record Top Gear off your screen.

Just tried recording Audiosurf, it gives me the same error when I tried to play the recorded video. Any other ideas?

I've never had this problem with Fraps either.

I would have a look at the codec used to create the video (I don't have any Fraps-recorded videos at the moment so I can't check), and then check similar AVI files. Might be worth downloading the FFDshow pack if you don't already have it, that should clear up codec issues. If VLC can't play it, there is something wrong.

Sounds like a codec problem to me... Cos I've never had a problem with Fraps before.

What's the record time limit on the demo? I can't find any "patched" versions.

What codec does Fraps require? I have CCCP and Ace Mega Codecs Pack. It plays everything I have, so it shouldn't be a problem. But for now I'll just use my camcorder to record the screens. It turned out ok for the Stranglehold game video.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=W4mBuHBdLXE&fmt=18[/youtube]

Fraps comes with its own codec. It should be installed with the rest of the program. Perhaps you have another codec trying to decode the Fraps videos?