Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Opel Astra

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Honda Civic

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • something else?

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
if I were you I'd go with civic or focus.. golfs are overpriced, it's likely it'll be stolen and they're nothing special, especially mark IV, which suits your price range.. civics are rock solid, vtec engines don't break down if maintained and they're great to drive.. I've owned mk1 focus and had no bad experiences whatsoever..

ot: it's SO nice to see confirmation of my theory how big dicks the balkans are.. in (western) Europe no one in their right mind would buy an opel, whereas over here astra is best selling car.. :lol: I've noticed that this summer when I could count with my fingers the number of opels driven by foreigners.. :?

the astra h realy doesn't. since 2002 i've had 7, and all of them were rock solid cars.

So you're on an average of one Astra per 1,2 years? Sounds rock solid to me :p

Because this is FinalGear.com, you must also consider an Alfa Romeo 147. ;-) Otherwise I'm not exactly qualified to comment, sorry about highjacking your thread a bit.

In seriousness, does anyone have some experience with these, petrol or diesel? I may be changing a few things in my life shortly (if a certain corporation gets through the mountain of vetted applications it seems to have), which would mean I'd have to own a car - my first one. Having driven a rented MiTo a while back, I've sort of caught an Alfa Romeo bug... can't explain what exactly it is, but it's there. So would I be shooting myself in the foot if I bought a used 147, preferably diesel due to a long daily commute?

I'm thinking about buying a used 2003-2006 hatchback, probably petrol engine, 1.6 l max.
Reliability, quality and cost of ownership are the main criteria.
I have a few candidates...

First thing you (or I :) ) think about when you hear the word "hatchback" is of course VW Golf. Great quality but it's a bit pricey compared to the others, and it's incredibly popular among thieves over here (and I don't have a garage).

Second one is the Ford Focus. On balance, I could probably say that I like this one the most. Some say parts are expensive though, some say they're not...

Then there is the Opel Astra. This is the most common brand in my country along with VW, which means parts and repair shops shouldn't be hard to find... :)
Thing is though, its quality is nor so good as with those above...

The last but not the least, Honda Civic. Low price, but I'm not sure about maintenance and stuff... Hondas are not so popular over here...

I would be grateful to hear some owner comments, how satisfied are you with it, does it brake down a lot, which would you recommend, considering all these facts...
Especially if there are German or Italian owners, because that's where I'll probably be buying it...

Thanks a lot!

I recommend the Ford Focus or the VW Golf. You may also want to consider getting a Toyota Corolla, it's a safe reliable car:

3835464_1.jpeg

So you're on an average of one Astra per 1,2 years? Sounds rock solid to me :p

that's what you get when your boss buys 20 astras, and wants to keep them in the same mileage.
and then you change job, and they give you an astra!
and then you change again, and you're given another astra!

and i'm saying everywhere "from the moment i find someone who's willing to give me a BMW, i'm outa here!" but that hasn't made any strong impressions :(

The 2nd gen Ford Focus would be a nice choice - or it would be if you considered a bigger engine. With the 1.6 l petrol engine, it is seriously underpowered. I don't know how good the VW engines from five years ago in that range are, but stay away from a petrol Focus with less than 125 hp.
In fact, when going for a five-year-old hatchback, I'd probably go for a Seat Leon (1M generation). Really nice looking car, and under the skin it's basically a VW.

All you guys, please consider that a VW Golf parked in the street in the Balkan region, Serbia, Bosnia, down there, is like hanging a piece of ham around your neck and strolling through the lion cage in the ZOO.

I would suggest ( since I'm biased anyway, so what the heck ) a Fiat. I know they go cheap, and do have some kit on them. A Punto isn't so impossible of a choice. Or Zastava 10, if you want. =) Also, the Stilo is a very tidy car to drive, comfortable and goes like the clappers with the 1.6 16V engine.

But in your poll, the Ford.

Because this is FinalGear.com, you must also consider an Alfa Romeo 147.

That's the equivalent of kicking and laughing at the lion after your stroll.

Last edited:
All you guys, please consider that a VW Golf parked in the street in the Balkan region, Serbia, Bosnia, down there, is like hanging a piece of ham around your neck and strolling through the lion cage in the ZOO.

Even more reason to buy a Skoda (or Seat). You get a VW, just without the ham.

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/11/18/DaciaSandero-snefram_big.jpg

Actually it means Sandero angledfromthefront and the kit is standard in Laureate trim. ;)
I wouldnt recommend it, but hey, it's a Dacia and this is Sparta Finalgear!

Thanks all'ya guys!

The 2nd gen Ford Focus would be a nice choice - or it would be if you considered a bigger engine. With the 1.6 l petrol engine, it is seriously underpowered. I don't know how good the VW engines from five years ago in that range are, but stay away from a petrol Focus with less than 125 hp.
I think I'll be fine, I now have a Skoda Felicia SW diesel, which is huge and has only around 60 bhp (actually had when it was new... now it's rubbish)... So after that, 100 hp will be like a Ferrari compared to that :)
And even if not, I don't really need more than that...

An excellent simile! This is the main reason why I'm excluding Golf...
And I'm also excluding Astra (well I have to exclude sometihg :) )

As for other suggestions, that Mazda 3 looks DAMN HOT!

I also have to check local situation for services, maintenance n stuff... Probably looks like Focus will be the safest bet... Good thing tho is that now the mk 2 is starting to go into the price-range...

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I vote Focus. I'm a bit biased maybe though, since I drive one.
I know Japanese cars have great reliability, and that's all I can say.

Also, comparing a 105HP TDI Golf 5 and my 1.6 petrol Focus, handling vise the Focus is miles ahead.
So much more feel and sense of security. I guess the previous gen's are similar in handling.
And the 1.6 is an okay engine. Not the most powerful but enough power. A bit thirsty, depending on your driving style.
I get around 8l/100km, 65% city driving.