Help me choose the best mnemonic devices that my students wrote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
So as extra credit on this one lab assignment I had my students come up with clever mnemonic phrases for the stellar spectral types: OBAFGKM. The current one that we're taught as astronomy students is "Oh Be A Fine Girl/Guy Kiss Me". But this is old and I wanted to see what clever ones they could come up with. I also gave them a bit more extra credit by doing the extended/full spectral types: OBAFGKMLTY.

I have compiled all of them and their final grade on their labs is resting on your decision as to which ones are the best/most clever/funniest mnemonics. So please help me choose.

Here they are:

I have hidden their names for privacy sake, and given them numbers. This is a multiple choice poll so you can pick any and all of your favorites that apply.

Thanks in advance for your guys' help!

I'd go with (in order):-

On Burgers And Fries, Get Ketchup Mustard
Only Big And Fat Gorillas Kill Men
Oh Boy An F Grade Kills Me

Reactions: LP

:lol:

duhn.

Thank you guys for all your help! It is greatly appreciated.

I have given all the students credit for at least putting something down, but the best ones will receive extra!

My problem is that you gave your students a problem they can't solve: Everyone knows that the best mnemonic devices, the ones that really stick, are the filthy ones with lots of references to gross-out bodily functions or sex. But that ones you can't turn in as an official work in a university class.

How about "Oh Brother, another fucking geek, kill me later, thank you."

Good one but contains the f-word as well as a reference to homicide, thus I'd not turn it in as part of classwork.

Did my friend's "Obama Buys A Ferocious Gorilla, Kills Michelle" give you this idea, LP? :lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: LP
My problem is that you gave your students a problem they can't solve: Everyone knows that the best mnemonic devices, the ones that really stick, are the filthy ones with lots of references to gross-out bodily functions or sex. But that ones you can't turn in as an official work in a university class.

Well they did give me ones unofficially and I made them change it for the sake of being clean for university work. I mean the whole point is if one of my students comes up with something awesome, the whole astronomical community can use it (not that any of us forget the fucking spectral types).

Works, except for fucking. Which is like any man's worst nightmare. He works except for fucking.

Did my friend's "Obama Buys A Ferocious Gorilla, Kills Michelle" give you this idea, LP? :lol:

I WAS TRYING TO REMEMBER WHERE THAT WAS FROM. No it was because the lab was on the H-R diagram which involves stellar spectral types, but I did drop this quote everywhere but I had forgotten where it had come from. +Raep to you.

There are plenty of acceptable euphemisms for fucking that also begin with F.