Help me chose a new ride

Help me chose a new ride

• Total voters

M_Bolc

Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 1.2TFSI
Yes yes, so yet another post asking for help choosing a ride.
This is slightly different because I do have a "finalist" selection, although I admit they are dissimilar.

Please note that suggestions are well received, but there are a few ground rules: no French cars, and no US cars. Those have zero aftermarket value down here. I already had my experience selling my Fiat, it took 6 months to sell it (I only got 5 calls), even when Fiat has a longer presence in Costa Rica and vastly greater support network.

Here are the finalists in no particular order. Note: all of them are manuals.

2015 Audi A3 1.2t (I would get a Golf, but it is not available in Costa Rica)
audi-a3-1.6-tdi-sport-3dr-hatchback-2014-1432-miles-20488_image1_400.jpg

This one comes well kitted with 10 airbags, 17inch wheels, MMI, Bluetooth integration, trip computer, fog lights, etc.
$29.900 out the door. This would require some financing.
4 year warranty and 2 free services.

2013 BMW 114i (brand new as well, it just hasn't been sold)
attachment.php

It matches the Audi's specs, except that it loses the electronic parking brake, but gains keyless starting (I couldn't care less about either).
$33.500, again some financing is required.
2 year warranty and 3 years of service included.

2010 VW Bora 2.5 from a private seller
This is the base version, so it does have alloys, power mirrors/door locks/windows, abs, and esp. It does not have Bluetooth or iPod integration, multifunction steering wheel nor a trip computer.
It has done 43.000km.
$16500. I could pay this cash.
No warranty, no servicing. But it is impeccable inside and out.

2000 Audi S4 Quattro
s4_jpg_677x1000_q100.jpg

I've been talking about this car for about a year. I couldn't justify getting a second car since I'm single and only have one parking spot at my place. Once I decided to sell the 500 and buy it, well it took me 6 months to sell it. There was a time in between when the current owner didn't want to part ways with it either.
Obviously this is fully loaded for a 2000 model year standard.
6 airbags, abs, cd changer, power seats, Bose sound system, carbon fiber interior trim, etc.
The car has only done about 13000km (I'm not missing a zero). It has lived in a climate controlled garage, and is owned by a collector.
Nogaro blue on black leather.
$15750, payed cash.
As expected, no warranty or servicing.

Last edited:
Three sensible choices and one that seems way more expensive. Could you properly afford it?

Yes, I have no debt or any other obligations apart from feeding myself, utilities, gas and mobile.

I voted something else. Not sure if they are sold in Costa Rica, but what about the latest Mercedes-Benz A-Klasse, Mazda 3 or Alfa Romeo Giulietta? All 3 are IMHO cooler than the A3 or 1-Series, not to mention a Bora. The S4 is an interesting choice that could potentially turn into a money pit.

A classe is $52k
We still get the old Mazda 3 for $28k
And Alfas have awful resale values. The Mito is about $40k, and the Giulietta is about $60k (we only get the 1.4T or Quadrafoglio Verde versions).

Miata. :D

Of those, buy whatever is the most common so as to keep costs down.

think about the financing + additional surprise costs (repairs + parts etc) and go for the most interesting one..

s4 :D

S4 is a beautiful car and I would love to have this blue one.

And I don't even like Audis!

Yep, get an AUDI. I'd go for the A3 unless you need the space of the S4, oh and it is tad old. {AKA Expensive to keep on the road}

Last edited:
Stay away from the S4 - the B5 generation is notoriously unreliable with the 2.7 TT V6 and even the enthusiast owners won't call this a reliable car. Low mileage or not, I can not recommend that generation of S4. And that's before getiing to what a pain in the ass it is to service - this thing is a mechanic's nightmare.

Do some reading and you'll see what I mean. From the same era the E46 M3 for example while not a Subaru would be a much better choice when talking about that type of a car.

Out of the options you've listed the 114i would be my choice - better to drive than the A3 but more importantly 3 years of free service. Also a proper parking brake for hooning around :p

The VW is just another appliance and for the same money I'm sure better or more interesting daily drivers can be found.

Last edited:
S4 would be the most interesting of them all but as mentioned before could become a money pit.

As others have mentioned... 14 yr old Audi is 14 yr old Audi. Low mileage or not I would tread very carefully if you were looking at the S4 (translation: budget a lot for repairs). Otherwise, the A3 seems the best choice.

A3. However, if it were me, I'd wait a year until one shows up used, that way you avoid the money you lose when buying a brand new car.

That's my theory at least. Otherwise, I'm with Jay on your car choice.

All great input and well appreciated.

I forgot to mention, the Miata is not sold down here, and a Mini starts at $42k.
The S4 has very little on the odometer, and has been impeccably maintained all these years. I know of their problems, and I have even worked on other VAGs to know the nightmares they can summon. If I were to buy it I would keep it for two years at the most before the trouble begins (knock on wood).

The Bora stands out because of the condition it is in, it would be like buying a car from myself or any other FGer. I also like the 5 cylinder engine for some reason :p.

The A3 and 114i I like a lot, but $30ish thousand is a lot of money, and I would like to avoid financing, but could live with it. Either of them can be payed for in about a year. Looking for a used one a but later on won't make any sense, the interest rates here are biased so that people buy new, the monthly payment for a new car will almost always be lower than a "semi new" car.

The real problem here is the model selection we have. For mid to low $20ks there's Kias, Hyundais, and Toyotas, but I despise every single one of the models they offer. Kias and Hyundais are over styled and I hate their interiors. We all know what to think of Toyotas.

I'll do some more web browsing for used cars and see what turns up.

Judging by your posts you clearly do want the S4. Just do it, otherwise you'll always be regretting that you did not do it when you had the chance. I'm not saying you wont regret if you buy it and it fails miserably, but at least you got something you really wanted.

Well, as long as you go into this with eyes (and chequebook) wide open, sounds like you really want the S4 and I look forward to a PYC thread :)