Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

• Total voters
I have Driving Force Pro, in fact it has the playstation logo in the center of the wheel. I am certainly not attached to this wheel by any means... but it will work with the PS3 and not the X-Box
Get a PS3.

In most respects minor differences separate the two, but you're buying it for driving games and you have a wheel, better to not clutter up your house with unnecessary things.

I've got both, Xbox 360 handsdown for gaming

PS3>360 for me IMO.

PS3. It's just the better overall entertainment machine.

Although most multi-platform games run and look slightly better on the Xbox (because most of them were developed for the Xbox and ported to the PS3), the PS3 exclusives look amazing because they utilize the full power of the PS3's CPU and GPU.

Basically, choose the system on whichever exclusives you like more.

Any game that you want to play that isn't on the PS3, you can probably play it on a decent gaming PC. ;)

Another thing to consider is the noise level. The Xbox is more noisy than the PS3.

The games for Xbox are slightly less expensive and seem to depreciate faster after release, although the Ps3 games are slowly becomming cheaper. This is off-set by the subscription fees for the Xbox for online play.

I would (and did) get a PS3. It just seems a little more future proof than the Xbox. The games are getting bigger and bigger in size and I think the limited space of the DVD's for the Xbox will begin to affect the quality of its games.

Gamewise, it's your choice but for long-term usage, I will go with the PS3. Maybe CNET's Prizefight for both machines will help you decide.
Basically PS3 comes up top trumps.

I have a PS3.

Paying for online is something you have to take into consideration with the Xbox.
With Playstation network you have no monthly payments.

Exclusive games can be a deal breaker, but seeing as you are into driving and sports games, this shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Forza Motorsport for Xbox and Gran Turismo 5 for PS3 are both excellent driving games and I don't think there are many sports games exclusively to either the Xbox or PS3.

Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect are both new and maybe in the future will have more worthwhile games to be taken into account. You said you had a Nintendo Wii already? Playstation's Move is basically just a Wiimote for PS3 so you'll be familiar with the concept. Kinect on the other hand might offer something different in the future. Certainly for kids - probably for adults as well.

PS3s controllers have built-in Li-ion batteries. Xbox's pads run on either AA batteries or a rechargeable battery pack.
Many seem to prefer the feel of Microsofts wireless controller. Especially after trying a PS3 dualshock after using an Xbox controller. I've been playing with Sony's pad for three years now and I don't find it awkward or uncomfortable at all. If there are no other deciding factors then maybe you should go to a store to see which controller you prefer?

It really boils down to this: Do you have friends who own either of the two?

If most of your friends have one or the other and you want to play those driving and sports games with them - then without a doubt you should get the same system. Online gaming - at least for me - is at its best with a bunch of friends to talk to while you play together.

Last edited:
I have Driving Force Pro, in fact it has the playstation logo in the center of the wheel. I am certainly not attached to this wheel by any means... but it will work with the PS3 and not the X-Box

As mentioned earlier, get PS3 + GT5. As much I love my xbox (I love my PS3 too but I game more on my xbox :p) I'd have to say you'll enjoy the PS3 more.
Another thing I hate about my xbox is that it doesn't come with built in WiFi.

All new 360's have built in wifi-n so that's not a distinctin between the two anymore

Multiplayer on 360 works much much better than PS3 also

^Didn't know that, thanks

I think it is funny how people hold out the cost of Xbox Live ($50 a year, or less if you buy a card on sale). If you can't afford $50 over a year, you really dont need either system - you probably cant afford to eat.

Also, they must be doing something right, since Sony copied it with Playstation Plus.

I think it is funny how people hold out the cost of Xbox Live ($50 a year, or less if you buy a card on sale). If you can't afford $50 over a year, you really dont need either system - you probably cant afford to eat.

Also, they must be doing something right, since Sony copied it with Playstation Plus.

1) It's not about what you can "afford." Clearly the OP is not financially on the edge either way. A saved expense is a saved expense.

2) Playstation Plus is not required for online gameplay, unlike Xbox Live Gold.

If all you wanna do is play GT5 and watch Netflix stream (provided you are ok with using your controller as a remote) then get a PS3 otherwise 360

Just because you can afford it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to spend money on it.

: XBOX 360.... Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.
the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version.
It comes with a hard drive, but you don't need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it's fair to compare both core systems.
On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it's quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU's the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU's on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU's and do things the XBOX 360 can't, but I don't think the console is worth buying based on this speculation ... =(
The XBOX 360 has a huge head in game selection, 1 year is an eternity in gaming...
but I love ps3 at the same time so its up to you!
hope it helps =s

If all you wanna do is play GT5 and watch Netflix stream (provided you are ok with using your controller as a remote) then get a PS3 otherwise 360

Both Xbox and PS3 have more "normal" remotes available.

Pretty sure the 4 GB model is flash media of some sort. Regardless, the Xbox with HDD costs the same as the PS3, so unless you opt for the 4 GB model, the price advantage is moot. My personal preference goes to PS3, no need for monthly fees to play online, I prefer Gran Turismo to Forza (though both are very good), your wheel will work with it, and it has a better track record for reliability.

Don't forget hard drive replaceability. You probably need to buy the 360 with the 250GB HDD, but I believe that's the most you'll ever get due to having to use MS hard drives. With a PS3, if you ever feel the need to go bigger, you just go buy a cheap internal laptop hard drive and slap that baby in there. I'm not sure the OP would need that much space but it's a nice thing to know. I expanded my 80gb HDD to 320 for $35.

As to the "if you cant afford xbox live you cant afford a console" arguement, that's not even the point. The point is that's almost a free game every year you get on PS3 versus paying for that on 360. And didn't the Live prices just increase too? That's so reassuring :rolleyes:

Xbox 360. I wanted a PS3 for the last 2 months but then I played GT5 and had a friend with one for a month at my place and is nowhere near as good for gaming as the 360. Way worse controller , PS Store is crap compared to Xbox Live , online game I think is about the same thing , all new xbox 360?s come with wifi...

I would say PS3 for GT5. But also keep in mind Xbox360 has Forza 3 and Forza 4 is coming out.