Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

• Total voters
Both Xbox and PS3 have more "normal" remotes available.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that PS3 doesn't have an IR port. 360 can be used with just about any universal remote I know that from experience :p

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that PS3 doesn't have an IR port. 360 can be used with just about any universal remote I know that from experience :p

It does not. But you can buy a bluetooth remote, or one with a wireless USB dongle.

Well, there's pros and cons for both of them, and all in all I believe they are quite similar machines.

Graphics can't really be used as an argument for either, they're very close. The PS3 exclusives are slightly prettier than the 360's, but multiplatform titles tend to perform better on the Xbox.

Price.. The Xbox is cheaper to buy, but you have to pay to play online. And btw, don't know how it's like in that states, but around here you're a sucker if you actually pay the full Xbox Live prices - buying 12 month codes on various websites are way cheaper.

Controllers.. If you ask me, the 360 controller in superior, but that's very subjective, of course. Though I have managed to "convert" some of my PS loving friends :) But looking further than the standard controllers (especially when you're into racing), wheels for the Xbox is pathetic. There are none right now that are worth mentioning. Especially if you want Force Feedback, which you do. Fanatec is bringing out a new one I believe, and that's you're best shot.. But that's pretty expensive. The PS3 has a far better selection on that front.

Games.. Again, very subjective. When it comes to racing games, you've essentially got Forza Vs. Gran turismo, and that's a whole other discussion all together :p GT5 is jammed full of content, but at the end of the day, both are very good games. The rest of the good racing games are multiplatform as far as I know :b
But in the end, I believe this is the point that should decide it for you. Which games do you want to play? Forza or GT? Halo or Killzone? It is _the_ largest difference between the two, and arguing all the other points gets you nowhere, and is pointless if you ask me.

I own a 360. but for your situation I'd go with a PS3 since they have the GT5 bundle out. My only gripe about the PS3 ( and I play one all the time at my buddy's house ) is that you can't have multiple logins on one system to save data and progress, where as with the 360 anyone I play with can make their own profile to use and keep. Some PS3 games save second player "guest" information some don't.

I own a 360. but for your situation I'd go with a PS3 since they have the GT5 bundle out. My only gripe about the PS3 ( and I play one all the time at my buddy's house ) is that you can't have multiple logins on one system to save data and progress, where as with the 360 anyone I play with can make their own profile to use and keep. Some PS3 games save second player "guest" information some don't.

You can have multiple accounts on one system, you just can't log into them simultaneously (I think some games may allow this but most don't).

It does not. But you can buy a bluetooth remote, or one with a wireless USB dongle.

OK I should have clarified. My problem with PS3 as an entertainment device is that you would not be able to use a universal remote with it. Unless there are some extremely high end BT + IR hybrids (I have not seen any)
wheels for the Xbox is pathetic.
How about this?

Last edited:
OK I should have clarified. My problem with PS3 as an entertainment device is that you would not be able to use a universal remote with it. Unless there are some extremely high end BT + IR hybrids (I have not seen any)
You can use a universal remote but you are limited to the Logitech Harmony range, but that's not really a bad thing. You do have to get the Logitech Harmony PS3 adaptor though which means you do have to spend a bit more.

ive been biased for years

XBox all the way

How about this?

Which is why I mentioned Fanatec :p

Are they shipping it now? Took this : http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_e...id=97&osCsid=e82759812ee0ae71ed3e3fee6b2e9eda as it being "Ready to pre-order".

But that's just about you're only choice, and it's not terribly cheap :p For a good choice of wheels, PS3 is clearly way ahead.

This will probably get me negrepped but I wouldn't buy a PS3 or XBOX for just one game (e.g. GT5 or Forza)

This will probably get me negrepped but I wouldn't buy a PS3 or XBOX for just one game (e.g. GT5 or Forza)

I think it depends on how much you like the game. If you've got a group of friends who play Halo together every Saturday afternoon, and you want to be part of the game, buying an XBox (instead of a PS3, or instead of nothing) just for that would be entirely reasonable IMO.

As for simulations, if you're seriously into them, buying a system just for the sim is entirely reasonable. If you're the sort of person who going to drop a couple hundred on a good wheel because you love driving games THAT much, then I would be surprised if you didn't let your favorite driving game dictate which system you bought.

Don't forget hard drive replaceability. You probably need to buy the 360 with the 250GB HDD, but I believe that's the most you'll ever get due to having to use MS hard drives. With a PS3, if you ever feel the need to go bigger, you just go buy a cheap internal laptop hard drive and slap that baby in there. I'm not sure the OP would need that much space but it's a nice thing to know. I expanded my 80gb HDD to 320 for $35.

As to the "if you cant afford xbox live you cant afford a console" arguement, that's not even the point. The point is that's almost a free game every year you get on PS3 versus paying for that on 360. And didn't the Live prices just increase too? That's so reassuring :rolleyes:

Except that on 360 not every game needs a 6gb install just to play it, I don't bother installing most games

Well, at this point I have decided that I am just going to stick with my PC for now and wait until much later to get a console. Thanks for all of the input, it was certainly a lively debate and hopefully it will be useful to others, but for now I am not buying either one.

If you ever decide to get something, more specifically an xbox 360, I'd gladly let you take mine off my hands ;)

I want a PS3.

Except that on 360 not every game needs a 6gb install just to play it, I don't bother installing most games

They don't need a 6GB install because some 360 units can't even fit 4GB. And every multiplatform install/patch is compressed to hell because of this.

I don't have an Xbox 360, but I have the PS3, and I don't recommend buying it. First of all, installing games (GT5 for ex.) takes about 45 minutes, loading times are still a pain after that. The Gfx are good, but still on that 2007-2008 level, which is the maximum those consoles can pull off, and only few games support the actual 1920-1080 resolution (only GT5 as far as I've noticed). I've only played big titles (KillZone, Uncharted, GT5, GoW, MGS, Castlevania and so on), most of the games are laggy, and buggy (got stuck in GoW twice). The Ps3 controller is greatly inferior to the Xbox360 one i use on my PC, and the PlayStation Move is just crap.

I have both systems and prefer the PS3. Main reason is the noise, the X360 has two smaller fans at the back and the PS3 only has one larger fan. And the noise of the optical drive in the X360 will drive you mad, even if you load the games to HDD. Even the HDD is loud on the X360.

I have both systems and prefer the PS3. Main reason is the noise, the X360 has two smaller fans at the back and the PS3 only has one larger fan. And the noise of the optical drive in the X360 will drive you mad, even if you load the games to HDD. Even the HDD is loud on the X360.

with successive firmware updates my fat ps3 is just as loud as my 360 and my slim is only marginally quieter

: XBOX 360.... Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.
the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version.
It comes with a hard drive, but you don't need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it's fair to compare both core systems.
On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it's quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU's the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU's on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU's and do things the XBOX 360 can't, but I don't think the console is worth buying based on this speculation ... =(
The XBOX 360 has a huge head in game selection, 1 year is an eternity in gaming...
but I love ps3 at the same time so its up to you!
hope it helps =s

Are you still living in 2006/2007 or something? 20GB PS3 wtf?

difficult question

both get the same games mostly, of course there are exclusives. As for driving games, I dont think you'll be much disappointed with either the forza's or the GT's. Both have their fair share of good merit. After Forza 3 and GT5 I think I've honestly lost all interest in racing games like that. I just can not be arsed with grinding for money and XP just to progress. For me Project Gotham is the best racing game, you can get in the good cars early and its very race focused, even if the physics arent great. Same with the codemasters game and you can get that one on either system.

Im slowly phasing out my Xbox 360, well thats the plan at the moment. Once I have finished Fallout New Vegas, I'll try keep to my PS3. Its much quieter and provides much more of what I want... Bluray player (that can be updated to keep up with new things like 3D), iPlayer, ITV Player and 4OD (obviously UK only) and Access to love film and a decent enough web browser that can play flash and streaming DivX. Its not that good as a DLNA box mind, it doesn't seem to want to play anything from my DLNA server, where as the XboX is less fussy.

I have to say though that Xbox live is very good and I actually prefer the Xbox user interface slightly more than the PS3 user interface. It keeps things separate, whereas the cross bar thing on the PS3 just seems to lump everything at you at once. Its six and two three's, each have their merits and fails.

Also the XBOX controller >>>>> the PS3 controller.