Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

Help me decide... Xbox or PS-3

• Total voters

Scott

Car(s)
'13 Hyundai Sonata, '95 Audi S-6 '06 Jetta TDI
I want to get a "modern" gaming system finally. The last one I actually bought was a SNES, so it has been a while. My daughter has a Wii, and I like it but I like driving games and those really suck on the Wii if I am honest.

I know the capabilities of both systems, and I really don't have a need for a Blu-ray player, but I know that is a selling point for the PS3. If you only had money for one system and it was going to be mostly used for driving games and the occasional sports game, what system would you pick and why would you pick it over the other?

Right now the only games I play are on the PC, and those are Split/Second, NFS Undercover, Trackmania, and GT Legends when I have the time/ patience for it (yes I have a wheel, but I am not very good with it).

Your insight and suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: I have a very nice home theater PC hooked to the same television that this system would be played on, and we use that for damn near everything (in fact I am turning my cable off soon). I just thought I would put that in play...

Last edited:
If you plan on playing some sports games you'll most likely enjoy it on an Xbox + Kinect, for racing games, both get pretty much all the titles but Xbox gets Forza and PS3 gets Gran Turismo. But you probably knew that allready.
On Forza and GT5, owning both I can say that the multiplayer in Forza is better. The physics of GT5 however are superior, but I don't like the career to be honest.

Another bonus for the Xbox is that it is cheaper, and unlike some people might report mine has never failed and I got it shortly after release.

Also, what wheel do you have? Is it compatible with the PS3? If it is, it's a major plus, playing racing games with a controller just plain sucks. In that case I'd lean more towards the PS3.

Just my $0.02 :)

depends on your gaming preference. XBox is more of a games machine while PlayStation 3 is good for all ranged uses. From DVD player to games machine. of course looking at your gaming interests raises two differing types, Foza 3 = XBox 360 and Gran Turismo 5 = PS3.

my personal choice would by XBox 360. majority of my favorite games are on there, Mass Effect (granted 2 is now coming out on the PS3). X Box also has a good community and marketplace as opposed to PSN which gets updated whenever they feel like it.

depends on your gaming preference. XBox is more of a games machine while PlayStation 3 is good for all ranged uses. From DVD player to games machine
360 plays DVDs also.

I voted xbox because I love Forza (a lot more than Gran Turismo but that's not for this thread)

Oh I forgot to mention one big detail... editing my first post.

I'd say PS3 just because its a million times more useful (at least to me).

First off, you automatically get a bluray player (but you said you don't need this). Also, you have free multiplayer (no need to pay for xBox Live). You also a built in harddrive (I don't think xBox comes with that).

And then the games. Gran Turismo 5 is the reason I bought my PS3, and I don't regret it. But that may be just because I'm a fanboy. I will always choose GT over Forza, just like I will always choose an STi over an Evo.

And the controller. I hate the thing xBox calls a controller. I can't play anyting with it.
The PS3 Dualshock 3 just seems to make sense to me.

Also, what wheel do you have? Is it compatible with the PS3? If it is, it's a major plus, playing racing games with a controller just plain sucks. In that case I'd lean more towards the PS3.

I have Driving Force Pro, in fact it has the playstation logo in the center of the wheel. I am certainly not attached to this wheel by any means... but it will work with the PS3 and not the X-Box

I am a PS3 owner.
All I need in my living room TV + Home Theatre + PS3.
You should consider that if you go for a PS3 it might actually replace some of the things in your living room. Less cables => wife likes you more. :D
The console actually has a decent HDD and you can store Movies / Serials / Music on the HDD. It plays DivX and .avi from a USB stick.... etc.
Wifi is included and it has a LAN port aswell, Bluetooth etc.

I love my PlayStation3.
Sony makes alot of expensive, useless shit that you can get cheaper elsewhere. But PS3 is good.

Last edited:
depends on your gaming preference. XBox is more of a games machine while PlayStation 3 is good for all ranged uses. From DVD player to games machine. of course looking at your gaming interests raises two differing types, Foza 3 = XBox 360 and Gran Turismo 5 = PS3.

He sums it up well, and I own both, I have maybe games for my PS3 but use it all the time as my bluray and netflix device.

My xbox is primarly a game machine but I like the interface for the media player so I use it also primarly as my playback device to play my divx movies and tv eps on HD. It also streams netflix but it doesn't seem to do it as well as my PS3.

I'd say PS3 just because its a million times more useful (at least to me).

First off, you automatically get a bluray player (but you said you don't need this). Also, you have free multiplayer (no need to pay for xBox Live). You also a built in harddrive (I don't think xBox comes with that).

And then the games. Gran Turismo 5 is the reason I bought my PS3, and I don't regret it. But that may be just because I'm a fanboy. I will always choose GT over Forza, just like I will always choose an STi over an Evo.

And the controller. I hate the thing xBox calls a controller. I can't play anyting with it.
The PS3 Dualshock 3 just seems to make sense to me.

Uh, yes, they do.

The new slim models sure do, either 4gb (lol) or 250gb.
Realistically the 4gb isn't shit, but it still is a HDD...

Uh, yes, they do.

The new slim models sure do, either 4gb (lol) or 250gb.
Realistically the 4gb isn't shit, but it still is a HDD...

Pretty sure the 4 GB model is flash media of some sort. Regardless, the Xbox with HDD costs the same as the PS3, so unless you opt for the 4 GB model, the price advantage is moot. My personal preference goes to PS3, no need for monthly fees to play online, I prefer Gran Turismo to Forza (though both are very good), your wheel will work with it, and it has a better track record for reliability.

Don't forget the critical Halo versus God of War question. Personally, I'd much rather play Reach than GoW III, but others might differ.

I had an Xbox 360, but after a while I got fed up with it. It red ringed once and I sent it in underwarrenty, then I played it for a little longer (about a year) and it started to make funny noises. So I stopped playing. I recently sold it and am probably going to pick up a PS3 sometime soon-ish.

The Xbox can absolutely serve as a very good home media center. I use it all the time to play shows I've downloaded (read: Top Gear) that are stored on my laptop and they look fantastic on my 37" TV. Like the PS3 it also offers Netflix streaming and it also offers access to the Zune music pass if you're into that.

As for the games I prefer the Xbox controller over the PS3's. Backwards compatibility is another advantage. It's still easy to find 360s that will play original Xbox games; as far as I know all of the pre-'slim' versions are backwards compatible. PS3s that will play PS2 games are harder to find since only the early ones can handle it.

I have Driving Force Pro, in fact it has the playstation logo in the center of the wheel. I am certainly not attached to this wheel by any means... but it will work with the PS3 and not the X-Box

Get a GT5 PS3 pack (should be cheapish now) and you should have a great time. Seems that it will work better with your entertainment system at home also.

But the main reason to differenate between the two are exclusives. Do you perfer GT or Forza? Gears of War or Killzone? Halo... Uncharted... etc...