• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Help me pick a laptop?

jeffy777

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Sienna, crippled people like vans....
My friend has $2000 US dollars to spend on a laptop so I'm trying to get him the best bang for his buck. He needs performance which means we're trying to get the most we can possibly get.

So if you had that money, what laptop would you buy?

This one at Newegg is pretty sweet, what do you think:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=34-224-016&DEPA=3

It seems to be the best one on there for under $2000 (it's $1599)

Here's the specs:

ABS Mayhem G3 notebook Athlon 64 3400+, 1GB, 100GB, DVD+/-RW, 15.4" TFT, ATI RADEON 9700, Windows XP Pro

Specifications:
Part#: G3 A45
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Display: 15.4" WXGA 1280x800 TFT
Memory: 1GB DDR400
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB
HD: 100 GB/5400rpm
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW Drive
Communication: V.90 56kbps, 10/100 M Based-T LAN, 108M 802.11a/g/b WIFI
Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x 1394a, RJ-11, RJ-45, IR, DC input, VGA Monitor Support, Audio, S-Video, LPT, PCMCIA
Dimensions: 14.1"x10.6"x1.5"(WxDxH)
Weight: 7.7lbs
Manufacturer Warranty/Phone No: 1 year / 888-983-9988

Maybe I missed one on there, but that looks to be the best on newegg

Now I've also checked what everyone else has to offer (toshiba, Dell, HP, etc.) and believe it or not it, as far as buying direct form the manufacturer, looks like compaq has the best system for under $2000 when you customize it:

X6000 series for just under $2000

Specs:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 640 w/HT Technology, 3.2GHz
17.0" WXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1440x900)
1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x512MB)
100 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
FREE upgrade DVD+/-RW/R CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster

So that one has a bigger monitor, faster ram, and better graphics.

Opinions or other ideas?

If he needs to work on battery, I'd recommend a centrino.

I just saw what might be my next laptop, but it's different from what you're looking for. http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000807040775/
My actual one already is 14" 1400*1050, and I'll only switch upwards. BTW, Wide is the devil... :evil:

try going for the acer ferrari edition.It will be good.I have seen it runs on AMD 64.and it's official ferrari merchandise.it's beautiful.in malaysia it's less than USD 2000.check out yourplace for it.And if you can get a student go with you it should be better.I am not sure about the US but then in Malaysia acer gives student rebate.
how can a laptop have a 5400 rpm harddrive??I thought all used SCSI hardrives with turns at around 15,000 RPM

He would like to hae 1 GB of RAM. I haven't seen a Toshiba with over 512 and they seem too expensive for what you get, but maybe I'm missing something. That one has a 60 GB hard drive, but he likes the 100 GB of the ones I posted above.

general said:
try going for the acer ferrari edition.It will be good.I have seen it runs on AMD 64.and it's official ferrari merchandise.it's beautiful.in malaysia it's less than USD 2000.check out yourplace for it.And if you can get a student go with you it should be better.I am not sure about the US but then in Malaysia acer gives student rebate.
how can a laptop have a 5400 rpm harddrive??I thought all used SCSI hardrives with turns at around 15,000 RPM

Newegg has the ferrari, but it also only has 512 RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-154&depa=3

The processor is not as fast as the ABS and the hard drive is smaller. I'm sure it looks a lot cooler though :)

They said 5400 RPM, I just copied and pasted the specs directly from the sites.

general said:

Laptops do not use SCSI drives, and its very common to use lower RPM drives, since they are less sensitive to shock and vibration. I also use 10k RPM SCSI Drives in servers, since 15k RPM drives are quite cost prohibitive.

I also don't think Acer does much in sales here in the states. I would suggest either of those machines from newegg, or maybe a lower end IBM thinkpad. I personally wouldn't buy anything but an IBM thinkpad if I had to buy a PC laptop. I personally think that the Acer Ferrari laptop is overpriced, because of the name "Ferrari" printed on it, and would suggest buying something that is better quality and more plain.

If OS is no object, I would suggest a powerbook or an ibook. They are easily more solid and durable machines.

I had a thinkpad when I was in college (they gave one to every student as part of their tuition) they were ok. When you look at the specs, they seem to be pricey compared to other systems with better parts.

he's used windows all his life, so I don't think he would be willing to switch.

ok sir whatever about the harddrive.IBM laptops are ugly by all means.dell has offers for laptops.but then have you seen the acer ferrari??if money wasn't a limit I would suggest fujitsu.the main thing I worry about when buying a laptop is the processor cooling system.

general said:
ok sir whatever about the harddrive.IBM laptops are ugly by all means.dell has offers for laptops.but then have you seen the acer ferrari??if money wasn't a limit I would suggest fujitsu.the main thing I worry about when buying a laptop is the processor cooling system.

IBM laptops may be ugly, but they work well for a long time and can endure a lot of abuse. Pretty-ness of a laptop shouldn't be a deciding factor in purchasing a laptop. The acer ferrari laptop, costs as much as it does because the build quality is substandard (like most other computer manufacturers), but acer has to pay for the "Ferrari" license.

Dell / Gateway / HP laptops should all be avoided at any cost because their build quality is terrible. The two suggested from newegg would be good laptops, especially if newegg handles the warranty service on it.

general said:
if money wasn't a limit I would suggest fujitsu.the main thing I worry about when buying a laptop is the processor cooling system.

If money wasn't an option, you'd better go for an Alienware. But he stated that he would spend 2000 USD max.
That first specification looks nice, certainly for that money. But keep in mind that specs aren't everything. First you search for a laptop, make a list of the ones you like and than search for reviews on the net. That's the safest way.

Greetz Johan

I checked Alienware. They are awesome systems, but beyond the $2000 limit :(

If I had that sort of money to spend on a laptop - I'd look no further than:

Sony VAIO VGN-FS115Z
it_portal_pic_41835.jpg

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/70414/sony-vaio-vgnfs115z.html

If you're after something to take to LAN parties, you're better off with a Shuttle. But this is a decent work machine and DVD player that you take on a train with you. The GeForce Go 6200 with TurboCache provides plenty of eye candy at 1024x768 and the 2.8kg weight won't break your back in the process.

Code:
SPECIFICATIONS:
1.73GHz Pentium M; 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM; 100GB hard disk; Matsushita UJ-831Da optical drive; nVidia GeForce Go 6200 graphics; 15.4in 1,280 x 800 X-black TFT; V.92 modem; 10/100 Ethernet; 802.11b/g WLAN; 3 x USB 2; FireWire; Type I/II PC Card slot; VGA; Memory Stick/Memory Stick PRO; Windows XP Home; 1yr RTB warranty. Dimensions: 364 x 265 x 39mm (WDH). Weight: 2.88kg.

If I was gonna spend 2 grand on a laptop, I certinly wouldn't get a no-name brand from new egg no matter how much cheaper it was.

Couple things to keep in mind with a laptop:

You don't need a Centrino, A Centrino is intel's marketing name for their combination of Pentium M CPU , Mobo and Wireless network card. While the Pentium M is a kickass CPU, the wireless card isn't that great, and is often outperformed by other kinds. So make sure you get a Pentium M, but you don't really need a Centrino.

The video card is both the most important part of gamin performance, and also one of the biggest power draws. So keep in mind that if you get a high end video card its gonna suck down the battery, but if you get a cheaper video card HL2 isn't gonna look so pretty.

Laptop displays are LCD's, which means that they only look good at their native resolution. So make sure you like the native resolution of the display before buying it , because you can't really change it. I have a Dell laptop with the WUXGA+ screen and while I love it, it has a native res of 1920x1080, which makes everythign very small. (I like it because you can fit more stuff on the screen, but other people complain that everything is ahrd to see).

Lastly If he doesn't want games, he should seriously consider an Apple, their laptops are amazing. If not I would stick with either a Dell, a Sony or a Thinkpad, considering there is an excellent chance somehting will go wrong on a laptop, its important to buy one from someone with good customer support.

Jaguar said:
Lastly If he doesn't want games, he should seriously consider an Apple, their laptops are amazing. If not I would stick with either a Dell, a Sony or a Thinkpad, considering there is an excellent chance somehting will go wrong on a laptop, its important to buy one from someone with good customer support.

I agree if there will be no gaming, considering an Apple machine is still worthwhile. I however DO NOT suggest buying a Dell, or Sony Laptop. I have owned all three brands, and both companies suck for warranty service (as well as build quality, since most Dell and Sony machines are horribly built machines). If the machine needs to be serviced be prepared to be without your laptop for a week or more. There aren't any guarantees though that it is fixed correctly when you get it back. At least with those no name laptops from newegg, newegg has a warranty where you send it to them and they fix it, and I have had good experiences with newegg warranty service.

I have owned a Thinkpad and loved it (its quite old, but it still runs to this day) but as was said earlier they aren't very competitive on price for power, but the machines are rock solid.

I personally prefer Apple though, because when my hard drive failed, I sent it off Monday Morning, and had it back Tuesday afternoon. There is a bit of a learning curve to OS X, but its well worth it if you are just using it for e-mail and web browsing.

I dont think a badge of hp/dell/sony or whatever is guarantee for quality. So far i had only "no-name" brands, because they were much cheaper, and have the same components as a big brand. several of my friends with sony-s had troubles, and one of my former housemates had a big pain with his fujitsu. another friend of mine had to return 3-4times his brand new hp, so i wouldnt say a big brand is worth its money. i have a noname now, with 2 years of warranty, for sth like 50euros extra i could have got a 3year warranty.

my previous laptop (gericom) had hardware issues after 3-4years of torture, the screen gave up its service. nevertheless, it was a good machine. it was a pentium, and cooling was not an issue.

my current laptop has amd, it does get quite hot from time to time, but unless you are bothered by a bit of hardcore cooling done by the ventilator every now and then, its performance is just awsome.

if gaming is an issues, especially new games, go for at least 128mb ati card, i have a 64mb one right now, i do play mostly racing games, and it performs really nice. however new games, and especially 3d shooting one, will need a bit more performance, so 128mb is the least what u would need.

my suggestion in short, dont be afraid of "no-name" brands, as long as you can customize the components, its all fine. for processor i would say amd. if you are bothered by ventilator noise, then centrino or sth like that will do quietly. for graphics, 128mb ati, and anything above, will run every game there is. for ram 1GB is a good idea, i have now 512 and from time to time i wish i had just a tiny bit more. for dvd burner, 4speed will do perfectly fine, 15min and your dvd is done. for screen 15' is optimal imo, 17' is quite big to carry around, 14' is a bit small.

I've heard nothing but praise about the modern Sony VAIOs' build quality tbh, although I do understand where you're coming from on the warranty front with the company.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think we might go for the first one I posted. It has awesome specs and good reveiws from what I can find.

general said:

ihave been using acer ferrari 3200 for 1 year, and its been very helpful at school. only once i had ship it to acer finland to be repaired, because of the hd. but its still living on and its o n every visitors eyes when they come to see what we are doing. Some Futuremark test results what i have done with my computer:
3DMARK05 = Only 837 3dmarks, because i messed up with the copmputer
3DMARK03 = 3023 3dmarks
3DMARK01 = 4585 3dmarks