Help Me Test My iPod/Smartphone Video Transcodes!

chaos386

.sa = bad driver!
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR
OK, I've been testing converting videos to a format suitable for smartphones and iPods, but I'd like to be able to test them on more than just my N82, so I'm asking for your help!

If you have an iPod or smartphone capable of playing back H.264+AAC videos (any S60 Feature Pack 1 Nokia should be able, along with plenty of SE, LG and Samsung phones, and any video-capable iPod), please download this test video (a 9-second clip from the TG News last night. 320x176@25fps with 450kbit H.264 and 96kbit stereo 48 kHz AAC audio) and tell me if it has any problems playing (poor A/V sync, no video, etc.).

So far it plays fine on my N82, but doesn't generate a thumbnail, and I'd love it if you guys could tell me if it doesn't play right on your device. Thanks! :)

Kinda low resolution for my iPod, else I'd test.

I got a LG VX9700 (LG Dare) that I tested it on:

The video was smooth except in where May puts his hands on his face, which I don't think is due to the phone.
Looks ok in normal viewing mode and has black bars at the top and bottom.
In full screen view (side view) it is amazing good quality but has a black bar all the way around the picture.
It does not generate a thumbnail.
Sound is excellent with the normal speakers; I may try good headphones later.

I would love to know what program you used and how you did it. I have wanted to show co-workers some of Top Gear's great moments and watch it on break. A little higher resolution and I think it would fix the bars in full screen.

I used AVIDemux, and an encoding scheme based on Baseline H.264 @ Level 1.3. I've improved it a little since, as now it creates videos that my N82 can generate thumbnails from. Here are the settings I used. Just extract the .js file inside to AVIDemux's "custom" folder (this is \Documents and Settings\$USER$\Local Settings\Application Data\avidemux\custom in 2000 & XP, or \Users\$USER$\AppData\Roaming\avidemux\custom in Vista). Then just open up AVIDemux with the file you want to transcode, click the "Custom" menu item and select "SmartPhone H.264 Widescreen.js". If your phone can handle it, you could even raise the resolution from 320x180 to something closer to your phone's native resolution (the settings are under video filters). :)

Kinda low resolution for my iPod, else I'd test.

Kinda high resolution for my Sony Ericsson :)
It doesn't play on older phones, the codec is fine it's just the resolution - if lowered to 176 it will play just fine.

Why do you want to make it universal anyways, chaos386?