Help Needed: Cornbred/muffins

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
I am ashamed to say that I've been using off the shelf mix. My own concoctions seem to be a bit flat compared to the off the shelf stuff. Anyone care to share their own recipes?

For cornbread, there's really only two secrets: 1) butter. 2) MUST use a well-seasoned cast-iron pan.

If you can find the America's Test Kitchen episode, they made a rockin cornbread. I've only made it once before I lost the recipe, but it was fantastic.

I thought cornbread was one of the easiest things ever to bake... it's the only thing I've ever baked. I don't remember the recipe, I just used the first one off Google, turned out okay.

I thought cornbread was one of the easiest things ever to bake... it's the only thing I've ever baked. I don't remember the recipe, I just used the first one off Google, turned out okay.

Yea I am awesome like that. I can make some awesome chili and cottage pies, but fail at good cornbread.:?

Well, I could give you my grandma's recipe for it, but it would cost you...

Joe is right. My mother, when making cornbread, uses a 45 year old iron pan.

If you can find America's Test Kitchen recipe, it rocks. Just gritty enough, just the right amount of sweetness...I wrote it down while watching the episode, but lost it, and now it's "premium content" on their site, which you have to pay for...

Last edited:
I have a recipe downstairs but i'm too lazy to get it. :p

If you can find America's Test Kitchen recipe, it rocks. Just gritty enough, just the right amount of sweetness...I wrote it down while watching the episode, but lost it, and now it's "premium content" on their site, which you have to pay for...

you're welcome

^^Ditto, but i think it's something the Americans have come up with because us Aussies don't know it. Anyway, as for muffins, Chocolate Chip Muffins:

Flour, Cocoa, Brown sugar (i think), choc chips, eggs, milk, sift, stir, put in muffin tray, bake, eat.

Oooh, that looks good. If it's sweet, is it kind of like a cake?

No. Even when it's sweet (we Southerners call that "Yankee cornbread") it's still has a stiff (or gritty) consistency to it.

Here's a the secret to awesome cornbread. Find any recipe from a cookbook and where it says "milk" put "buttermilk" and where it says "oil" insert "bacon grease" -- those are the two things that make good cornbread great! Oh, and it needs to be cooked in an iron skillet in the oven, NOT a 'baking dish'.

Cornbread and something that has beans in it is usually the best combination, IMO, e.g. bean soup or red beans & rice. Yum!

So if I don't have a seasoned cast iron pan I'm SOL for cornbread? I do have cast iron stuff, but they're all glazed.

Also, what is southern style like? Even cornbread I had at a Texas BBQ place (in Texas) had the sweet type.

I think you might be okay with your glazed pan (glazed=enameled?).
The whole "gotta be cast iron" would be for the even cooking temps.

Yeah, they're just a set of white enameled pots and pans I got from my mom because they were too heavy for her to use all the time.

Glass will work ok for cornbread too, cast iron is best because it doesn't stick, but if you grease the shit out of a glass or enameled pan it'll be fine. You should get a cast iron skillet though, best cooking pan I have.

Last edited: