Help pick a car to replace my Grandmother's Corvette.

Weight reduction. :p

I could be wrong, but I'd assume none if they are only used to raise the car for getting in and out.
I was referring more to the "who cares" rather than the actual effect airbags would have.

I saw a black Jaaaag XFR today, have to say it looked badass. The sound when it idled was like a big V8 powerboat... According to most publications who has tested it, It's also a pretty spectacular drive, yet rather comfortable. Should suit the OP's grandmother well...

Last edited:
Slap some adjustable air-bags that inflate to a higher ride height (a few inches should do it) when the car is put in "park", but take her down to a proper ride-height when driving. Job done. Gramma can keep her corvette (which she will now think is some sort of space-ship) and not buy some lame bmw or audi crossover or sedan (which is probably where this thread is heading)

I haven't seen many good things about the interior quality of the CTS, unless the V model is radically different from the V6 base model.

well the vette doesnt exactly have a rep for awesome interior, so id wager thats not as high as the driving pleasure. CTS-V gets my vote....tho it does seem a bit stereo typical, old biddy in a caddy, but it is a badass caddy. matte black CTS-V......oh baby!

failing that, Jag XK-R or XF-R.... so long as its gonna be reliable enough. i know the XF has a proper whiz-bang interior but i have horrible visions of it all going pete tong after a while.

Last edited:
Maybe Skoda Fabia TDI will do the job...

Ok, CTS-V should be best option, Cadillacs are ok for senior citizens...

Badass Grandma :D

Last edited:
I was referring more to the "who cares" rather than the actual effect airbags would have.

She's an old lady with an automatic corvette, she doesnt do any serious handling that the airbags would ruin.

And again, i think the C6 interior is FANTASTIC, the CTS one, not so much (An again again, i only sat in the base CTS, it was atrocious. If the V has it changed to something better this doesnt apply...

Are you under the impression that an audi S-line is a "cool car"? A good car WITHOUT A DOUBT, i confess, but
"Cool"?

Lets check the bullet points...
  • 4 Door
    In danger of being mistaken for a honda accord to the uninformed
  • European Sedan
    Outside of car nerds like you and i, noone looks at a BMW or audi and goes "WOOOOW" like a lambo or corvette
  • 4 wheel drive
    Understeer city, Safe
  • Muffled engine note
    See the top gear R8 review
  • Conservative styling (Looks like a lexus SC430 with slightly more chrome)
    Not flashy, kids like flashy
  • Pavement-crackingly heavy
    Unlike the 'vette, it has lots of leather and wood weighting it down, needs more plastic
  • Jason Statham
    He's bald
Good car? Absolutely. Comfortable Luxury? Absolutely. Fast? Depends on the model. Cool car for grandma who wants to impress kids at the gas station who know nothing about cars with? Not even close.

Last edited:
And again, i think the C6 interior is FANTASTIC

You mean the C6, the pride of General "We still dont know how to make good interiors" Motors, with the steering wheel from a Chevy Cobalt?

You mean the C6, the pride of General "We still dont know how to make good interiors" Motors, with the steering wheel from a Chevy Cobalt?

Whats wrong with the cobalt's steering wheel? I Think it looks quite nice. It does a fine job of steering the car in both the left, and the right directions. You guys are just scared of plastic for some reason. As if each part of the interor should be lovingly crafted by centuries old coachbuilding shops, the electric door opening button crafted from pure gold, in a shop handed down from father to son through the generations?

Thats why european sports cars are pointlessly expensive, and only owned by fat old buisinessmen and doctors who put them in an underground garage and stare at them. Cheap is better, corvettes get driven on the street by normal people, Plastic wins.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with the cobalt's steering wheel? I Think it looks quite nice. It does a fine job of steering the car in both the left, and the right directions. You guys are just scared of plastic for some reason. As if each part of the interor should be lovingly crafted by centuries old coachbuilding shops, the electric door opening button crafted from pure gold, in a shop handed down from father to son through the generations?

No, I just like touching interior parts of the car sometimes. And having soft, somewhat textured materials in come cases makes a huge difference. I feel a lot better when inside a tsx (not the epitome of good design by any means, but balances plastic use with soft touch materials) rather than the all plastic interior of, say, a toyota.

Case in point: new ford mustang. The soft rubber makes huge differences from hard plastic...and it doesn't cost much more by any means. The interior is where people spend their time, and it damn well better be at least decent to be in. Obviously, theres people that don't really care all that much about plastic (look at all the corvettes on the road, or toyotas for that matter), but some others just have personal preferences.

slightly soft rubber can't cost all that much more to put on some parts of the dash. And some leather inserts in the door couldn't cost GM more than, say, $50. I'm not asking for a coachbuilt interior, just asking for some care for customers, or some thought along the lines of "oh, that will cost a bit more, but it will make the car a ton more attractive to buyers"

of course, I'll probably never end up buying a corvette so my opinion doesnt really matter here.

Last edited:
She's an old lady with an automatic corvette, she doesnt do any serious handling that the airbags would ruin.

And again, i think the C6 interior is FANTASTIC, the CTS one, not so much (An again again, i only sat in the base CTS, it was atrocious. If the V has it changed to something better this doesnt apply...

Being in a Corvette in the first place establishes that she's no regular old lady, so maybe she is doing some serious badass handling things.

I dont mean to doubt the awesomeness of this grandma, but lots of old people drive brand new corvettes (automatic, of course) in a straight line at 45 miles an hour to church, to the grocery store, than back home. I'd say not many of them track their cars in any meaningful way.