"Help! Police! Someone stole my cylinder bank!" OR "Mattd1zzl3's Latest runabout".

MattD1zzl3

2 Slow 2 Noisy
Car(s)
1996 & 2003 Mazda Miatas, 1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
"Help! Police! Someone stole my cylinder bank!" OR "Mattd1zzl3's Latest runabout".

I just realized that this purchase is 6 months old and i haven't made a thread about it. Hey all and if you haven't had the dubious pleasure to meet me, my names Matt, and im the local Chevrolet fan boy here on final gear. This post is about the latest car to make its way into my garage.

IMG_0625-1.jpg

Badge shot to comply with the new "Mopar man" rule.

Its a 2003 Mazda Miata! Yes, another finalgear miata, i'm very original (at least its a NB). Its in amazing condition, had 43,000 miles when i picked it up, and has pretty much every option the car could get (Including the LS package with leather, sweet nardi stickers, and factory body kit)

IMG_0622-1.jpg

IMG_0623-1.jpg

IMG_0624-1-1.jpg

Its ridiculously fun to drive, is sitting on brand new summer tires (god bless florida) and is.... black. (running gag, every car I've ever had was black and its getting old. But the condition:price ratio was too good to pass up. About 7300 dollars for a 2003 with 43,000 miles)

IMG_0629-1.jpg

(Yes i put 12,000 miles + on it on 6 months. I'm using it like you're supposed to! :D)

Apparently in 2003 mazda was considering going with 6 speed transmissions for miatas to repace the traditional five speed, and used the high-end option packages to gauge the interest of the public, thankfully i wound up with it and its great for freeway cruising. IIRC it became standard in 2005)

IMG_0627-1.jpg

Final shot of the gauges, thanks for reading finalgear, questions and comments welcome!

IMG_0628.jpg

Another zoom zoom!

Plans for Camaro? Camry?

plans for this?

had to be asked

Looks great, Miazdas just work universally. All you need is a new knob and you're sorted.

Plans for Camaro? Camry?

plans for this?

had to be asked

I didnt know there was a limit to the amount of cars you can own.

Camry: This thing will not die, i cannot get rid of a working car and its not worth enough to sell

Camaro: Loud street machine, as a project car of a poor person with few mechanical skills, it spends almost all of its life not registered getting one thing or another done to it.

Miata: Mostly the (live-in) girlfriends car, girls like things like "power steering" and "Air conditioning". Other than a new knob and maybe an exhaust down the road, its gonna stay stock and nice. It doesnt really need anything.

edit:
Just ran out and snapped a maro shot, since you asked about it, to show off the sweet 1969 z28 badge, excuse the bug guts...

34164_415739476824_500256824_484554.jpg

Last edited:
That all sounds good, I expected some vehicular changes were happening with the ownage of a Miata and Camaro at the same time, I wish I had the space at home for two fun vehicles at the same time though.

And that classic badge is great, a friend of mine did the same thing with his dodge ram.

Apparently in 2003 mazda was considering going with 6 speed transmissions for miatas to repace the traditional five speed, and used the high-end option packages to gauge the interest of the public, thankfully i wound up with it and its great for freeway cruising. IIRC it became standard in 2005)
Nope, the 5-speed has always remained the base, with the 6-speed an option. The gear ratios in the 2006-2008 6-speed NCs are very similar to the gear ratios in yours, but the gear ratios in the 2009+ 6-speeds are a bit different. The gear ratios are also different in different parts of the world.

Yay, more Miatas! :D

2 More pictures! (i had lying around in photobucket)

ebbd57aa.jpg

Eleet lemans-style (or riced out eclipse) style metal fuel filler cover. Its a factory option i swear!. Also shows of the only aftermarket thing i can see, the full-body-length spoiler which overhangs the fenders, i think it looks quite nice, the glass rear window, and my KICKIN-RAD placement of the professionally installed (by me) sirius radio antenna.
1691205a.jpg

Shot of us in the middle of the everglades

Last edited:
spoilering them doesn't not load them :|

1691205a.jpg

is that you...

or is that a girl :unsure:

Have you got a photo of the whole Nardi wheel and dash?

It's pretty rare to see a Nardi branded wheel with newer cars.

They're taking over the forum these MX-5's. That's three new ones in the last few week! Nice car and welcome to the club!

How does it feel to be out and proud?

I hate to burst your bubble, but the 5-speed is well known to be superior to the 6-speed. The gearing just isn't enough to justify 6.
<--6-speed owner :(

But hey, as along as you don't drive a 5-speed Miata, you won't know what you're missing :)

I hate to burst your bubble, but the 5-speed is well known to be superior to the 6-speed. The gearing just isn't enough to justify 6.
This is not nearly as black and white as you're making it sound. I own a 5-speed and a 6-speed Miata. There are a lot of variables between them, but unless you're adding forced induction, putting the transmission under race-level stress, or autocrossing competitively, it's more about what you like than anything else.

In the NBs, the 5-speed is stronger than the 6 (handles FI and track time with fewer breaks) and is geared more effectively for autocross. But that doesn't necessarily mean better for the street. I like the 6-speed gearing for street use (a personal preference).

In the NCs, the 6-speed is stronger, but the 5-speed is better geared for autocross. So for track, you either want the 6-speed or you want to stiffen the 5-speed (the problem is a weak housing). For autocross, the 5-speed has better gearing. For the street, yet again, it's whichever you like better, and I really prefer the feel of the NC's 6-speed to the NC's 5-speed.

It's also about the feel of the shifts. The six is less precise feeling than the five.
I'm not at all familiar with the 6-speed on the NC, so I can't speak to it.