• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Help setting up a wireless connection - Working now!!!

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
Need a little help - I'm setting up a wireless modem/router and nic for a friend. When I have it running without security it works fine (with one exception). As soon as I turn on WPA it stops working. I've checked and double-checked that I have the same key entered for the network connection and in the modem/router. The pc will get a connection, and just as quick the connection will drop out, then it will reconnect, and drop out, etc etc...

The exception to it working with no security is that the right-click 'View available wireless networks' option on the Wireless Network Connection in Network Connections doesn't work - the screen is greyed out and all I can do is cancel it. I'm managing to connect without security using the utility that came with the Wifi card. Don't know if this is somehow related to the problem with using WPA.

I've downloaded the windows updates for wireless networking to no avail.

So are u using the software that came with a card or windows?

also why dont u just setup access list where u can only allow your card's Mac address to use wireless connection?

I'm using the software that came with the card.

The only way I can restrict the MAC addresses is by using MAC filtering and telling the router to drop all packets from any MAC addresses that I don't specify.

What card is it? I've got an SMC wireless card, so I could give you a hand if it's the same card :)

It's a Minitar MN54GPC-R (Catchy name eh?) and the modem/router is a Billion 7202G

fbc said:
It's a Minitar MN54GPC-R (Catchy name eh?) and the modem/router is a Billion 7202G

Wow, never heard of that, sorry :p

The only thing I can think of is the card doesn't support WPA, but according to the website it does. One thing you could try is to download the latest drivers. That solved a couple of issues with my SMC card, so maybe you will be as lucky :)

I'm using the latest drivers - had to download them as they wouldn't install from the supplied CD - thanks for the suggestion though.

It's really strange the way it connects for a couple of seconds, and then disconnects, then reconnects and on and on - it's like I've got the wrong key entered but I've checked that over and over.

fbc said:
I'm using the latest drivers - had to download them as they wouldn't install from the supplied CD - thanks for the suggestion though.
Yep, usually the drivers supplied with the hardware are crap :)

fbc said:
It's really strange the way it connects for a couple of seconds, and then disconnects, then reconnects and on and on - it's like I've got the wrong key entered but I've checked that over and over.

It's very strange indeed. I don't know what to say, I'm running out of ideas here. If all fails, try with a different card, or try using WEP. It's not much, but at least it's something.

Cheers - I'll try WEP tommorow and see if that brings any joy - bedtime now :yawn:

Just set up WiFi in the house (5min ago) and WEP was the only thing that worked for me, so ill put on my money on that one..

I have no security at all coz I placed a router in such way that outside a house there will be no reception so u must be inside to connect to my network. Maybe u should do the same...

I had a similar problem with my set up. First the PCs I had would not connect (same symptoms as you). Then, after I got those fixed I found that my Macintosh Powerbook (the computer I am currently using, which is now working on the wireless connection quite happily now) also had a similar problem. By the way, I'm using WEP as my card in the Mac does not support WPA...
Here is the sort of thing I had to do:

1) Use the Windows Wireless software rather than any bundled utilities. Trust me on this one - having used both Linksys and Belkin hardware and utilities, I found the built-in Wireless software in XP SP2 is much better (and I was shocked at this - normally I avoid Window's built-in utilities like the plague). Try to remove/disable the hardware utilities and just have the driver installed. With just the driver installed you can then use the Windows software for the wireless (it should start up automatically). This will also prevent another extremely irritating reason for connection problems; Windows and the hardware utilities fighting over control of the wireless card.
So, if you can, disable the original software and try to get the wireless connection up and running with the Windows built-in util first. Once that's running then you can get the other one running... if you really want. (Plus, the Windows one is more likely to be updated more often...)

2) This one is really irritating, and I don't know why it crops up. Only on Windows this one. For the WEP keys, use the first key. Yes, there are 4 different keys you can use, but make sure that you select the first key on both the router and client side as the one that you use and double check that you are typing the correct key. For some reason, even though the options are there, Windows does not like to use the other three keys at all and cannot establish a good connection when using the other three. (But MacOS 9 has no problem with any of the 4)

3) Check your encryption level. Could be that your wireless cards on the client side do not support 128-bit encryption but your router is set to use that high a level of encryption. Try to drop the encryption level to 64-bit. I had this problem as my old Mac and the old Wireless-B card I have for it can not support greater than 64-Bit encryption. But tbh, 128 bit was giving me a headache on initial setup of the Windows machines as well...

4) My old Mac has wierd wireless software. I was required to put in "0x" (without quotes) before entering the keys. Obviously not the same problem in Windows - you just enter the key. But you should check to see if the card utilities have a similar requirement for the keys you enter in them.

5) Give it some time. Sounds wierd but you have to sometimes wait a few minutes for the settings to 'filter through.' I made some changes, and felt there was no reason for the connection to have problems, but it wasn't working. Gave up and watched some TV. Came back to the computer (having made no changes to the router) and tried connecting again and it all worked...

I really recommend restricting access to certain Mac addresses (if you know what computers are going to connect). It is really easy to do and makes the network much more secure.

I hope something in all that is of help!

-Max

Problem's fixed. I never managed to get it running with WPA on my pc though. When I took the card and modem back to my friend's place we found that even the latest drivers from the card manufacturer's website wouldn't install on his pc. So I grabbed the software and drivers from the chipset manufacturer - and guess what, it worked instantly with WPA. My only guess is the software and drivers the card manufacturer provides are very picky and not all that good...

Thanks for all the suggestions.