• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Help this guy win his bet!

Is there a time frame on the bet?

jeffy777 said:
Is there a time frame on the bet?

I sure hope not... the world population is abou 6.5 billion... to get that many unique hits, you'd need about 15% of the worlds population to visit the website... :roll:

Although I could be misunderstanding something... to me, a billion is a thousand million, or 1,000,000,000. But I remember having an argument with somebody who thought that a billion was only 10 million... in that case, maybe it's possible...

Anyway, with the count now at less than 100,000... there's a long way to go.

TechZ said:
1 billion = 1,000,000,000

I doubt if its unique page views, he can do it, especially if there is a time frame. If just hits, then yeah.

Yes, it's unique page views (read his site to see). Otherwise, the dude could just keep hitting refresh on his laptop, or set up a script to do so.

Maybe if he had a lot of friends in China or India, they could help spread the word :) Isn't there a billion in each of those countires?

It depends on in which language the bet was made ;-)

1 bilion in English spoken countries = 10^9
1 bilion in all other countries = 10^12

DJ said:

I think this guy will take any visitors he can get, whether they speak English or Martian.

This might be a matter of how many computers there exist in the world, and what with the number of public and work computers, some countries have more computers than people. If people visit this site at different locations, it might not be as farfetched as it might sound.

Labcoatguy said:
This might be a matter of how many computers there exist in the world, and what with the number of public and work computers, some countries have more computers than people. If people visit this site at different locations, it might not be as farfetched as it might sound.

Plus some webstats could count different web browsers (IE, firefox, etc.) from the same IP as unique visitors

Out of interest I searched for the number of Internet connections worldwide and the site I found said there are ~600.000.000.

The question is what is a unique hit. As far as I undertstood it it's when someone visits your site for the first time. If that's the case his mission is impossible. Even if there should be 1.000.000.000 connections it would mean that every single Internet user would have to visit the site, which is unlikely to say the least.

i gave him 10 views because i felt sorry for him

bartboy9891 said:
i gave him 10 views because i felt sorry for him

10 unique views?

btw... did anyone notice the counter seems to jump by 5 every time you hit refresh... I honestly don't think that a site has so many visitors every second.

andyhui01 said:
btw... did anyone notice the counter seems to jump by 5 every time you hit refresh... I honestly don't think that a site has so many visitors every second.

It doesn't do that for me. Seems to be a legit counter from here.

If you look all the way at the bottom it says:

Hits counted by statcounter.com, as there are only 6 billion people on the planet, I have set a cookie time between each persons counted hit to 1 hour

So that means each hour you can go back and it will count. :think:

DJ said:

It's only the USA that use the 10^9 (a thousand million). Us Brits are sensible and don't miss numbers out :p As far as I'm concerned 1 billion is one million million (10^12)