help to buy a fun,exotic car for 5000? for my job (which one would You choose)

I know that you like classics and unlike me would consider buying and owning one as well. And you said that you're very much looking for a real drivers car. Usually, I am not fond of the stereotype that FWD cars just aren't fun, but in your case I could imagine that you'd be better off with something RWD. That rules out the Alfas and the Fiat.
You listed that you're looking for something economical as well, that criteria speaks against the Supra (3,0 V6, isn't it?).
Out of the MR2 or the 944, I'd take the Porsche but I might be a little bit biased in my decision because I really like Porsches.

If you'd like to have a convertible, why not consider a MX5 or Z3?

Actually, every morning I run past a 944 - I want it. So that's my vote.

Every morning there's a guard's red 1989 944 Turbo sitting in my garage. I want my Dad to give me the keys. Permanently.

So yes, I'd go for the 944, although it doesn't have as much power as the '89 Turbo, it's still a great car with excellent dynamics, useless back seats (unless your kids are under 5) and a surprisingly reasonable boot space and a user friendly interior.

And it IS a real Porsche.

would go for the 156, drove one for an half an hour, almost ended up buying it...
it was a full uption nice rimms and not that expensive... around 2500?, so you could get an realy nice one

Hi

Integra [User Posted Image]

Well Integra are great don't get me wrong but they are exchanging at more than 6000euros which is my absolut maximum.
I've already looked at Honda (S2000 are at least 13000? , and integra 7000euros)
With my kind of money I could gop for a CRX 1.6 (J.C had one) or a prelude coup? (the accord and legend coup? are a bit too "old people coup?s")

by the way... no subarus?
As for Subarus well the depreciation for an Impreza is not really helping.The first price being above 7000. Sure I could take a look at the SVX coup? (230bhp , 4x4) but that's really an ugly car. I could have a legacy turbo estate but I would be hating myself for buying such a car at my age.

Try to get an import with a 2.5 liter twin turbo engine.
vote for the MR2, especially if you can find a supercharged one

Concerning the toyotas , the 2.5 turbo wasn't imported to germany this goes also for the turbocharged MR2 (never sold in Germany apart in the US I think) (although I heard that MR2 conversions are possible for a V8 or another toyota engine which sounds great)

Like I said I love the GTV but the more I am looking at it the more I am thinking , you could just wait 2 or 3years and buy a beautifull spider 3.2 l lusso.

Hate to be boring but, I'd go for a Focus myself; with the mix of driving you'll be doing a nice three door hatch back Focus would fit the bill and not cost too much either.

Well I already thought of the focus (I agree this is the most sensible car I could buy), but I would like something a bit more original .
you see I will not only drive the car but also park it at the co-workers mercedes benz parking which is located outside the head quarters because only Dieter Zetsche and the top managers are able to park inside the headquarters (which is great because you only see top of the range mercedes.).
Still the workers parking is full of slk, cls , new C etc , and I would like to have a car sticking out of the crowd (the parking being 95% full of mercedes this shouldn't be hard , I just need a blue or red car) but I would like to have something that is not as boring as a A-B-R-klasse but as unique as a cls.

About the 944 I also think this could be the perfect mix between fun/everyday car (some would say original but in stuttgart , porsches are not really special that is why I didn't even looked at MBs) but I still have concerned about the reliability of engine with more than 150 000kms.This is why I ruled out the toyota celica GT four because even if it's easy to get one for under 6000euros the mileage is really high.

Last edited:
Hello Mautzel

Yes I know the supra will not do 30mpgs , but I really want a nice-cool-fun car for my daily drive , M?hringen is about 40km away from T?bingen and the roads are perfects you get twisty forest roads , and long straight lines of autobahn (still lots of radar on my portion but I have been flashed 3times with my dad cars and never received something).
Plus we are entering long sunny days here in Germany (today is just superb) and I can really picture myself in a supra giving it a good push on the autobahn, plus parked against a big merc a supra will not have to blush.

Z3 are out of the question ,at least for my money..... for 6000euros you just get half of a Z3 , I mean you ve got the 1.8 with 116bhp <_< and this car being heavier than the mr2 it would be the slowest of all the cars I've picked.

As for MX5s I don't know the fun factor is here but being 1m93 I don't know if I would n't look like a fool in it (the barchetta is also small but seems bigger)

wont the Porsche 968 be somewhere near your budget?

Sadly not 928 are cheaper(but I think you have to draw a line somewhere) and anyway the only 968 I would take would be the CS version , the others are heavier and most of them in tiptronic :mad:

Hello Mautzel

Yes I know the supra will not do 30mpgs , but I really want a nice-cool-fun car for my daily drive , M?hringen is about 40km away from T?bingen and the roads are perfects you get twisty forest roads , and long straight lines of autobahn (still lots of radar on my portion but I have been flashed 3times with my dad cars and never received something).
Plus we are entering long sunny days here in Germany (today is just superb) and I can really picture myself in a supra giving it a good push on the autobahn, plus parked against a big merc a supra will not have to blush.

Z3 are out of the question ,at least for my money..... for 6000euros you just get half of a Z3 , I mean you ve got the 1.8 with 116bhp <_< and this car being heavier than the mr2 it would be the slowest of all the cars I've picked.

As for MX5s I don't know the fun factor is here but being 1m93 I don't know if I would n't look like a fool in it (the barchetta is also small but seems bigger)

Didn't know about the prices for the Z3, just got into my mind. Try out the space in the Barchetta before further thinking of it. As far as I remember it, it is very small. With 1,93m, I don't think that there are any small roadsters that will perfectly acommodate you, but at least the MX5 would be an open RWD car.

On the other hand, if you won't have to worry about insurance costs, I'd think twice about the Supra as well. With that car you also can be sure that no one else will turn up in it - big Japanese sports cars always have been very unpopular in Germany. ;)

Just to throw in a patriotic option - do you know at which prices 504 Coupes do sell? :)

ust to throw in a patriotic option - do you know at which prices 504 Coupes do sell? [User Posted Image]

well according to Oldtimer markt sonderheft Youngtimer preise (if you don't already have it , I strongly advise you to buy it , it's great to know the market price for youngtimer) it goes from (note 1: 18 100euros to 11OOeuros for a note 5)

Plus I already got much better in France ......a Opel Rekord coup? A (I was at the retro classic in stuttgart to buy the official AUTO REPARATURANLEITUNG von QUERSCHNITT)

well according to Oldtimer markt sonderheft Youngtimer preise (if you don't already have it , I strongly advise you to buy it , it's great to know the market price for youngtimer) it goes from (note 1: 18 100euros to 11OOeuros for a note 5)

Plus I already got much better in France ......a Opel Rekord coup? A (I was at the retro classic in stuttgart to buy the official AUTO REPARATURANLEITUNG von QUERSCHNITT)

Completely forgot about your Rekord, screw any other classic, then. Just thought that the 504 should fit your criterias rather well.

Anyway, let us know with what you'll finally surprise your fellow MB employees. :)

Yeah after I suggested an integra I checked and looks like DE only got type-r's

Why don't you try a Porsche 928

well even if insurance and petrol isn't my main concern I have to say that a 928 would be a bit too expensive to run. I could also go for a BMW serie 6.....(someone proposed an XJS, you a 928 and me a serie 6 , this is remaining me of a Top gear special where we all learnt that under a certain price these cars are just unreliable smoking rusting pairs of wheels. :mrgreen:
And if I had to go for a 928 it would have to be a manual (rare) and at least a GT.

Still reckon on a Alfa Romeo's. [User Posted Image] You'll then be recognised as a human being.....if you get something Japanese...well it screams no imagination!

Yeah I know alfa romeo are probably the best looking cars I could buy right now and the engine (in the 156) would be great to hear and watch.Althought I don't really now about the reliability of the 2.5 v6 (i know A.R has been making 2.5 v6 for quite a long time now but that doesn't tell me if they're good or not)

Well Avanti thank you for your help. I have to say I'm not really attracted to the corrado (G60 or VR6) , plus I don't want to be raced by some young german in his GTI everytime I 'm at a trafic light.

the fiat coup? is better , but the price gap between the turbo coup? and the turbo GTV isn't worth going for the fiat.

I didn't look at the audi coup? quattro I directly went to the S2 which was either too expensive or with a too high mileage. I will take a more serious look at the coup?.

Of course I already went to Lancia (I looked for deltas , fulvia coup? 1.3 and the thesis).The fulvia would be awesome but I've already got a oldtimer and in germany oldtimers are under special rules and restrictions.
The thesis is still a bit too expensive so I was left with the famous Delta (sadly not the 16v but still the 8v must be quite exciting to drive too.)
And already looked at the one you posted (actually the only one which isn't completely wasted) , it still need MOT because this is an import from Switzerland.

today I saw a barchetta and a guy driving it , the sound is pretty good , yet the red color is just tasteless.

It would be so much easier with 25k :cry: :mrgreen:

Well Again, I say count Supra out.

My previous 3.0 GT(read Turbo) got 15 mpg on the street and around 26 on the highwhays.

My current supra the 2.5 Twin turbo gets like 11 mpg in the city and maybe 25 on the highway.

I say 944 as well. I had an 89 944 Turbo when i blew my first supra up.

Oh, yeah supras are VERY iffy when it comes to reliablilty.

Well Again, I say count Supra out.

My previous 3.0 GT(read Turbo) got 15 mpg on the street and around 26 on the highwhays.

My current supra the 2.5 Twin turbo gets like 11 mpg in the city and maybe 25 on the highway.

I say 944 as well. I had an 89 944 Turbo when i blew my first supra up.

Oh, yeah supras are VERY iffy when it comes to reliablilty.

well thanks that is what I want to hear , the owner point of view. So to be straightforward I shouldn't look to much at the supra if I'm not prepared to break down.

Well reliability is quiet relevant for me.More than MPG , (first car being a BMW 520i e28 from 1987 , I was quite used to petrol-station on a weekly basis.)

Anyone with a MR2 ,156, GTV, Barchetta ,delta or 944? (a friend of mine had a 944 S2 cabrio so I will ask him ). Having a non biased owner point of view like did HellsLegion about his Supra is really usefull.

An MR2 is a realiable car, Most around me are worn out, Suspension wise, but the engine, Toyota's 4A-GE is an amazing engine. Very hard to destroy if you get one thats in nice condition to start with.

Only the 3 liter Supras suffer from relability problems.

As for Subarus well the depreciation for an Impreza is not really helping.The first price being above 7000. Sure I could take a look at the SVX coup? (230bhp , 4x4) but that's really an ugly car. I could have a legacy turbo estate but I would be hating myself for buying such a car at my age.

Legacy's were Subaru's first rally cars. So they do have some pedigree.
Out of the list that you have, I would also get the 944. In Toronto, I found a 944 for $3800 Cdn, which is about 1500 GBP. That sort of scared me away from it and the fact that it wasn't in that great of a neighborhood.

Before you buy a car, check out this 944 site. Link! I think its very informative, and it also tell you about the Technical Specifications for all of the 944 range, and some of the 924 and the 968.

From the ones you listed, definetely the Alfa 156, I personally would probably go for a 166 instead, I like big cars.

Here are a couple of "different" contenders:

Peugeot 406 Coupe
http://www.mobile.de/SID-6EM.yHc1Im...che=2&sr_qual=GN&top=72&id=11111111251907335&

Toyota Celica
http://www.mobile.de/SID-6EM.yHc1Im...che=2&sr_qual=GN&top=69&id=11111111233773562&

Then there are of course loooooads of BMW 3 series, Audi A4s etc etc, but I got the picture that is exactly the opposite you are looking for.