Help with some welding needed

Joker19583

Car(s)
'91 Honda NTV 650 Revere; '17 Skoda Fabia 1.0 MPI
As I gave my bike away for the annual oilchange, the mechanic informed me of a cracked gearlinkage, probably related to my fall last year.
The spare would be ca 60?, but I know a guy with some welding tools, so I thought, why not fix the part that's broken with some heat.
Since it is some kind of a clamp it should fit tightly, and IIRC welds are not very flexible so it needs to be close.
I don't want to accidently weld the clamp to the shaft, which is why I thought about a spacer, made from a print of the actual shaft, if I don't find an extra shaft to play with.
I thought about epoxy, but you have to be careful not to make a mess, which I am prone to do.
Any other suggestions?

I'm adding some pictures of the part and how it is broken when my phyrefileacc is working.

I know it's only one pic and a bad one at that, but I hope it works.

The spec right above the gearshaft is the mentioned crack. It looks like it goes through.

Last edited:
yeah, if the spare is 60? I wouldn?t bother with trying to weld it...

all what has been said above, but if you decide to weld it, take if off first! don't weld it while assembled!

but tbh, i wouldn't bother, not like that part is highly stressed, and the bolt will keep it together...

Well, as it turned out this specific part isn't broken, like at all. That spec is just a minor scratch. There is some play in the pushrod however and the balljoints could do with some greasing. I check tomorrow with the mechanic to see what he was on about..

Thanks for the advice so far.

Bis denne.

It seems the mechanic had the same spec in mind as I had with the preactical evidence that the clam is a bit loose. I tightened a bit and just don't care much anymore. I'll give the srew another twist if necessary when I clean the bike for it's 20th registration day.

The corequestion wan't answered though.

How would you manufacture a print/dummy for the gearshaft?

You don't, you replace the part.

Suggest you investigate getting it used - that's pretty similar to the linkage on my 700 and people sell those all day long for $20 on eBay.