Help with using vga cables to comp monitors..

SV

Car(s)
'03 BA Ford Falcon XR6
Allright well im about to purchase a vga hdav cable so i can play my 360 on my monitor but i just need to know a few things..

At the moment my monitor is using a DVI cable to connect to the pc so i have a free vga slot avaliable on my monitor. If i just go and plug the xbox 360 into that vga slot without removing the dvi plug what will happen?
Will a menu pop up asking which device i would like to use or will i need to remove the dvi plug?

Basically i dont want to keep disconnecting the monitor from the pc and since i have no knowledge on how to do this, what can be done?

Are there any special switches made so i can just choose which device i want to be on the screen at that particular time?

I actually did that with my normal comp and my laptop.
Normal comp in dvi and laptop in vga.
I have some buttons on the side of my monitor that lets me choose what computer I want to display.

If it doesn't have a popup menu, it will select the newest video source, I rekon...
Vga/Dvi switches aren't that expensive either...

I find using a TV tuner is the easiest and cheapest way to play your console on your monitor. The best part is that you can keep using your PC and you can play in windowed mode. I used to do it all the time before I gave mine to my little sister so she could play PS2 on her PC.

He wants the XBOX 360 to be really HD on his monitor. That works via Component or VGA cable, nothing else...

Buba said:
He wants the XBOX 360 to be really HD on his monitor. That works via Component or VGA cable, nothing else...

Yea what he said, lol..

Could anyone reccommed a good vga/dvi switch?

Can HD be transmitted through VGA? Anyway, it should work fine, I've plugged two signals into a Dell monitor before and there should be a signal selection button on the front of the monitor somewhere. Haven't tried it with any other makes of monitor, but it should be cool. Btw - your monitor needs to be able to support 1280x768 to be able to view 720p and 1920x1200 to support 1080i - these are 16:10 resolutions, which are standard for widescreen TFTs.

Buba said:
They have HDTV tuner cards which I figure have HDTV input.

Or maybe not. I dunno.

Overheat said:
Can HD be transmitted through VGA? Anyway, it should work fine, I've plugged two signals into a Dell monitor before and there should be a signal selection button on the front of the monitor somewhere. Haven't tried it with any other makes of monitor, but it should be cool. Btw - your monitor needs to be able to support 1280x768 to be able to view 720p and 1920x1200 to support 1080i - these are 16:10 resolutions, which are standard for widescreen TFTs.

Thanks for the info, looks like i can support 720p which is good enough ;)