HERE IT IS!! Nissan GT-R embargo broken by MotorTrend!

The back is great, the side is great apart for that sad, sad slant of the side-windows,
the front looks acceptable, except for the fact that it's elements together produce
a silly "face".

Overall, I like it, and think it looks better than the concept,
which looked like "Hey! Look at me, I'm modern for the sake of being modern".

I doesn't look to bad, but I don't think it will be quite as epic as the original..It looks like its trying to be to new. The performance is amazing and so is the price tag (compared to its perfomance I mean) but..it just doesn't look HALF as good as the original GT-R's IMO....
actually, the more I look at it, the more I think It looks like an ugly 350z.

Last edited:
What made the GT-R so great was the easily tunable engine for huge power. That simply will not be the case here. The older GT-R had steel engines that could take huge amounts of boost. This aluminum engine that is an overboar of a 350z engine barely takes the boost it is getting stock. So now they will have to out-handle Porsche and Corvettes, and I don't envy them at all. The oddity of it all will be that Corvettes will likely be the most reliable of the bunch.

What made the GT-R so great was the easily tunable engine for huge power. That simply will not be the case here. The older GT-R had steel engines that could take huge amounts of boost. This aluminum engine that is an overboar of a 350z engine barely takes the boost it is getting stock. So now they will have to out-handle Porsche and Corvettes, and I don't envy them at all. The oddity of it all will be that Corvettes will likely be the most reliable of the bunch.

You know all this how? No one can even confirm the displacement of the GT-R's engine. The last GT-R had it's own version of the RB that was not in any other skyline, you don't think they may be doing the same here?

The engine code, at least from "leaked brochures" at pre-order events in Japan reveals that it is VR instead of VQ....so it is more than just an enlarged VQ35. Alot of speculation is that the motor is has heavy influence and inspiration from the engine architecture used in the R390 LeMans car. Cosworth is also rumored to be in partner with Nissan to work on the engine and Lotus is supposedly contracted out as well to help with the suspension.

Any motor with an insane amount of power ain't gonna be reliable. But in production form I don't believe the GT-R would be significantly less reliable than, say, a Corvette.

What the fuck happened to the front? It looked awesome with those "tear-ducts" right below the front headlamps. Now it's a fucking Celica.

The engine isn't based on the 350Z/Skyline VQ engine at all. It's a VR38VETT which makes it a development of the VRH35L found in the R390 LeMans racer engine minus two cylinders.

Last edited:
To go against the trend - I love it. It's not a classic beauty, but it's a brutal beauty. And looks aside, I'm feeling this car will be epic.

I don't think it looks better then the concept car. The front looks, as said before, like a Mitsubishi Evo X/Toyota celica/last Honda Prelude.

And the dashboard doen't look so good either! Not the wheel or the dials and such, but the overal thing looks a bit like u would find in a SUV/pick-up

aww screw the pictures. Can't wait til I see it in the show rooms!

Am I the only one that disliked the front of the concept?
Because now I really like the front.

Yeah, im not too sure myself. I guess in time it will grow on me. Can't argue with the performance figures though...

Am I the only one that disliked the front of the concept?
Because now I really like the front.
No, you're not -- I'm with you here. I don't know what's wrong with everyone else, because I LOVE it!

Now I just have to scrape together fifty-or-so grand...

I just can't wrap my mind around paying that much money for a Nissan. :|

I didn't like the front of the concept, this one is better, but not MUCH better.

In any case, it's good, because it now looks like a fast car's front,
the concept looked like it's a futuristic sensible family saloon.

Let's forget about the ruined exterior for a second and focus on the hideous interior.

Dash and center console from a 15 year-old American van + numerous electronic gizmos/buttons/switches + gaudy GT-R badge = this:

08.nissan.skyline.int.1.500.jpg

08.nissan.skyline.int.2.500.jpg

08.nissan.skyline.ip.500.jpg

08.nissan.skyline.int.det.500.jpg

I thought I would love this car. Sadly, I hate everything about it.

Sheez, the Prototype looked way better..:|

Dash and center console from a 15 year-old American van + numerous electronic gizmos/buttons/switches + gaudy GT-R badge = this:

08.nissan.skyline.int.1.500.jpg

08.nissan.skyline.int.det.500.jpg

Actually you're right. Those controls looks so boring, ill-designed, and our of place - like something from an old Buick or Chevy. Although the switches below the controls are kinda neat. The dials looks stupid, each one is going in a different direction and they are all overlain on top of each other. The cluster definitely looks like an after thought, as if it was all thrown together hastily.

Have to agree, seems like Nissan jumped the shark with this one. Although I have a feeling deep down that once it hits the tarmac in a couple reviews, it will start to shine. But that remains to be seen.