Herpaderp and general screw-ups thread

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Think we should dedicate a thread to all of our fuck-ups, moments of stupidity, and general derpitude. They can be big or they can be trivial.

For example, this afternoon I tried to unlock my apartment door using the unlock button on the remote for my car. A HURPADERPIDURPA DEEYYYYYY.

HerpDerp.png

A couple of months ago at work, we had just received and installed a new phone system. My phone all of a sudden started getting calls, but there was no one on the other end of the line. Iasked several people about this and they offered suggestions such as logging off and on your phone, restarting the computer, etc. I asked our scheduling desk what to do and they asked me, "Is your mute button on?"

"Is my mute button on? Really? That's your suggestion? I have been doing this job for over 10 years! I know enough to check that my mute button isn't on! I mean, what type of idiot do you think I - oh."

(Reaches over to turn off mute button while slinking down in my chair out of shame.)

On the plus side, people were later saying. "I heard the mute button doesn't even work on these phones." I explained to them that the mute feature works quite well. I wouldn't tell how I found out of course.

Last edited:
For example, this afternoon I tried to unlock my apartment door using the unlock button on the remote for my car. A HURPADERPIDURPA DEEYYYYYY.
:rofl: I sometimes try to unlock the door at home with the key to the office. Hasn't happened the other way around, though... :cry:

"Is my mute button on? Really? That's your suggestion? I have been doing this job for over 10 years! I know enough to check that my mute button isn't on! I mean, what type of idiot do you think I - oh."
I take it that your current avatar is an accurate representation of the look on your face at that very moment? ;)

Last edited:
I take it that your current avatar is an accurate representation of the look on your face at that very moment? ;)

That, and when I accidentally tune into the local pop radio station to hear what passes for "music" nowadays.

I have lots of herpaderp moments, especially at work. Just today I managed to make an entire line full of people wait while I had to call the manager back a second time after getting change for a 100$ bill (I had just gotten to work, so didn't have enough in my drawer to break a hundred yet) because I tried to give the customer back what his total was instead of what his change was. :lol: and then there was the time when I entered in the wrong form of payment...cash instead of debit. But if you're not careful, its easy to mess up because the code for cash is "1" and the code for debit is "10". Press enter too fast and bang, you're being hit in the hip by a cash drawer you didn't expect would open.

And then there was the fire alarm at home last week while my parents were gone, which started chirping because of a low battery and I couldn't figure out where the chirping was coming from because it didn't stop when I took the alarm down, and because of the hallway echo it sounded like it was coming from the same place. Only after I'd called the neighbors to come check did I find out that it actually was the fire alarm and then I felt silly for bothering everyone. Or there was last week when I learned that "adirondack" isn't pronounced like a-DEER-on-DACK...

And though it isn't really a derp moment, I managed NOT to laugh when a customer came up to me asking about butt connectors. :lmao: anti-derp perhaps?

Thomas drove over MXM's Seven's hood during Ringmeet. Does that qualify? (see link in sig!)

I just had a "Herpaderp" moment after checking out D-Fence's pics from the Ringmeet.

"Wait - if Nugget and Equiraptor are at the Ringmeet, where are their cars?" :confused:

Just today I managed to make an entire line full of people wait while I had to call the manager back a second time after getting change for a 100$ bill (I had just gotten to work, so didn't have enough in my drawer to break a hundred yet) because I tried to give the customer back what his total was instead of what his change was.

Something similar happened to me once - only I was the customer. I bought a bunch of videos and paid for them with a $100 bill. The cashier counted out the change, then gave me the change plus my $100! I didn't catch her mistake until I got home. Needless to say, I went back to the store to point out her error. I tried to point out her error without getting her manager involved, but apparently I creeped her out because she called for him. He was genuinely surprised that I came back. (?)

My Dad was in a similar situation returning a grill, except it was $300. Yeah, he didn't return to clarify it.

After a day at work if I need to make a call in the evening I often find myself dialling 9 for an outside line......

:facepalm:

If I ever edit script files or anything in notepad, I need to do a search to get rid of all the ':wq' in there (save and quit in vim), unless the script won't work.

Today on the phone, I managed to blend "thanks for that" and "bye for now", so I said to the person on the other end "bye for that" and promptly hung up. Only about a minute later, I realised what I said. Herpity durr etc.

Trying to pronounce "Fort Lauderdale" with an American R, I have recently managed to contort my tongue into a shape roughly resembling a dented tentacle. "Fort Laudr-derp?"

Trying to pronounce "Fort Lauderdale" with an American R, I have recently managed to contort my tongue into a shape roughly resembling a dented tentacle. "Fort Laudr-derp?"

Just go to Tampa. Easier to say. ;)

About a week ago, I made arrangements with a driving school for my road test.

Except I hadn't actually confirmed anything, when I thought I had.

I found this out the day before the test.

The test is today.

I'm now scrambling to find an alternative.