Herpaderp and general screw-ups thread

I've been wanting to ban my phone from the bedroom for some time, for obvious reasons. Issues: I use it as an alarm clock like everyone else and I listen to audio books to help me fall asleep. The first issue was solved when my radio alarm clock arrived in one of the moving boxes, but the second seemed a bit trickier. I listen to the audio books with a tiny bluetooth earpiece that's small enough not to annoy me, which would keep me awake. So I needed a way to get BT audio at my bedside. Conveniently, I've got an old iPod with docking station lying around and so I thought I'd add a BT transmitter and be done with it. This does technically work, but at the low volume settings that I use, there's a lot of background noise; enough to keep me awake.

So I've been thinking and pondering and wondering what to do for a few weeks... until I noticed something last Sunday. The wife and I watch a random episode of a certain TV show every evening which helps her fall asleep. For this, we use an iPad suspended above the bed with a gooseneck holder. We don't really use the iPad for much else. So there's been an iPad with plenty of available storage space right in front of (well, above) me all the time that I've been wondering how to get decent BT audio quality from anything but my phone. :roll:

Personally I have do not disturb mode scheduled on my phone for sleeping hours, because I also do audiobooks or podcasts at night. There are various rules for allowing some calls through if they seem like emergencies.

Ever thought of just reading a real book until you start to feel sleepy?

Last week after landing in Chicago airport, it was 8pm which I’m usually home relaxing at that point. I must have walked back and forth about 4 times before I knew where baggage claim #7 was. Security camera guys probably had a good laugh.

Pulled a real belter of a stupid today. I went out for a drive in the bobtail Disco and wanted to see how much fuel I have left. Since I fitted the in-tank fuel level gauge last year I just have to look through the side window or flip the driver's seat forward to take a peek at it. Simple.

I chose to flip the seat forward and had a look. Quarter of a tank. I knew I had around that so I don't even know why I looked. Then I flipped the seat back... before removing my head from behind it. My head got squished between the B pillar and the seat, breaking the left arm of my glasses...

I spent the next 10 minutes looking for the broken part before realising that it was still behind my ear like a pencil. Luckily they're lightweight so a plaster (bandaid) held until I got home and it's now superglued. Seems pretty solid, hopefully it will last another 5 months or so until I get a new pair.

I'm disappointed this isn't in general automotive. :D

Yesterday I nearly had an accident on the Autobahn due to my usual optimistic driving style.
It was dark already, heavy traffic, but still the left lane was travelling faster than the right lane. So, after entering the Autobahn, I wanted to change to the left lane as fast as possible. Saw an overtaking van in my left-hand mirror, set my indicator, and changed onto the left lane immediately behind the van.... only to notice that it towed a trailer, narrower than the van itself, with maybe 10 or 20 cm to spare.
Phew. Lesson learned: Don't cut it so close, it only ends well in 99% of all cases.

Lunch at my desktoday (as usual). Roast chicken and stuffing sandwich, mug of vegetable soup with a banana for dessert.

Got a third of the way down the banana before I realised I still had half a mug of soup to finish. :wall:

I really should follow my own rules, namely “never buy non-refundable train tickets for specific trains on specific days”. I had to forfeit the third or perhaps even fourth one of those this morning because my plans have been changed. :wall:

I really should follow my own rules, namely “never buy non-refundable train tickets for specific trains on specific days”. I had to forfeit the third or perhaps even fourth one of those this morning because my plans have been changed. :wall:
You can still hope for an Aufhebung der Zugbindung if yours is delayed or cancelled. Depending on what train, when, and where there can be quite a decent probability: https://media.ccc.de/v/36c3-10652-bahnmining_-_punktlichkeit_ist_eine_zier

Theoretically, yes, but that’s of no use if I’m travelling an entire day later. I hope that the lesson will finally stick... <_<

Yeah, except if you start your journey on the correct day... then you can finish on the following day with a Flexpreis ticket.

Yeah, except if you start your journey on the correct day... then you can finish on the following day with a Flexpreis ticket.
Yup, that’s come in handy a few times. Which is one reason for that rule of mine that I should follow at all times. :mrgreen:

Today at lunch, I managed to bite myself in the tongue hard enough that it's a bit swollen still so I'm lisping at bit... good thing that I am alone and so don't have to talk anyway.

I'm going to revive another dormant thread, although this one has only been sleeping since January. I ventured out into this 'outdoors' thing that I vaguely remember, just a trip to a nearby reservoir for a walk and to get some nice photos in the sun with my DSLR. Turn it on and there's an error for some reason.

IMG_5218_S1024.jpg

41l2ss.gif

The main card is actually here on my desk, buried under stuff. It's even worse that I could've kept a spare card in there permanently.

When one facepalm isn't enough... ?‍♂️?‍♀️

Oh, that's not gone well...

Should have used Comic Sans for the numbers.