Herpaderp and general screw-ups thread

Today I picked up the TV remote with the intent of handing it off as I was going into the other room, but carried it with me instead...

Sleep is essential.

I just...I can't ever get finishes to look right, on anything I've built.

This week I tried shellac for the first time. I keep hearing how "foolproof" of a finish it is to get attractive results.

Well...I guess I'm a special kind of fool. If it's something that gets wiped on, it gets blotchy/streaky (see example below). If it's a spray, I ALWAYS get a run, no matter how light of a coat I think I'm applying.
20210725_201112.jpg

Had one of my infrequent visits to the office today, which meant driving the Tesla and parking in the multi-level car park. Nothing unusual but you need a card to get in, to get out and to get through the entrance when returning. Usually I use the card and then stick it in my back pocket, however this time people let me in so I didn't need it.

Anyway yadda yadda I ended up trying to leave the car park with my AA card, which is also yellow. I didn't realise until I dropped it and had to open the door to pick it up, when I saw the AA logo. Durr I made a tit of myself in public.

Yesterday I was reading out a weird news story of Alice Cooper being told by Elvis to shoot him. There was a line that was Alice's internal voice going "just wound him, you'll get maybe 3 years and then you're out."

Except I didn't say "woond" I kept saying "wow-nd." I knew it sounded weird but couldn't figure out why until one of my family members corrected me. I flat out forget that the word "wound" is spelled the same way depending on if you're being driven mad or have a bleeding cut on your arm.

I drilled a hole in the ceiling to install a hook.
I grabbed the drill bit and burned the palm of my hand.
Pretty stupid move.

I drilled a hole in the ceiling to install a hook.
I grabbed the drill bit and burned the palm of my hand.
Pretty stupid move.
I feel ya. I do this all the time. I did the same thing Saturday with my drill press. It was a 3/4" forstner bit, and let it drop from the chuck into my hand, so it wasn't like I pinched it and could let go. And it was like a $20 bit, so I didn't want to just drop it. It was like a hot potato. but stabby.

As a kid, I was watching my dad weld something. He blew a hole in the metal he was welding, so he let the welding rod stick to it, and chucked the piece out the shop door into the driveway. It landed with the welding rod sticking straight up. Stupid me walked right over to it, and put my hand on the top of the previously-nearly-melted welding rod. i was probably 6-7, and it probably took until I was about 20 before that shiny scar spot on my palm went away.

Ouch.

Today I was at an electronics store with my mother to buy her wireless headphones. I gave her a giftcard at christmas since I didn't want to buy her headphones without her trying them first. Beforehand I checked the TV outpouts and found only a 2.5 mm jack. Then I looked at the specifications of the TV to find out if it had Bluetooth, but it didn't state that it had so we bought wireless headphones which connect via 2.5 mm jack to the TV. After I connected the headphones the speakers still played unless you hit the mute button, but then a mute symbol was on the TV the whole time. This is when I went into the TV's menu just to discover you can activate Bluetooth afterall... 🤨

When I have a feeling I might not be happy with a purchase I buy from a brick & mortar store with a generous return policy. My last debacle was about headphones too:

I bought a pair of noise canceling Jabra cans because I needed them mainly for video meetings (who doesn't these days) and Jabra is known for such things. I came home, unboxed and tried them only to realize they're crackling and breaking up. I google only to find it's a really common issue.

I went back to the store and came out with a pair of Sonys instead because I kinda lost faith in Jabras and didn't want another pair. I come home again, try them out and realize the microphone sounds like a GSM call from 1992. I read the manual and found fine print that said that the microphone "only supports normal cellular phone calls" aka Sony knew the microphone was crap when they put it in. The Sonys were also a pain to un-pair and re-pair.

This wouldn't do, so I went back, again, and exchanged them for another pair of Jabras. This pair I even got cheaper because someone before had done what I was doing and returned them for a refund. :ROFLMAO: And now I finally have a pair of excellent Jabra cans with super long battery life and great sound quality, both ways.

Well, it's not a big problem per se, the headphones work flawlessly, but with those requirements the choice was between just four types of headphones. The choice of available Bluetooth headphones was way bigger.

Today I was at an electronics store with my mother to buy her wireless headphones. I gave her a giftcard at christmas since I didn't want to buy her headphones without her trying them first. Beforehand I checked the TV outpouts and found only a 2.5 mm jack. Then I looked at the specifications of the TV to find out if it had Bluetooth, but it didn't state that it had so we bought wireless headphones which connect via 2.5 mm jack to the TV. After I connected the headphones the speakers still played unless you hit the mute button, but then a mute symbol was on the TV the whole time. This is when I went into the TV's menu just to discover you can activate Bluetooth afterall... 🤨
I had a related but different conundrum several years ago when getting TV headphones for my dad [now replaced with proper hearing aids]. When plugging the wireless transmitter base into the TV headphone jack the TV speakers would turn off, which meant mom couldn't hear anything. Luckily the TV had a second 3.5mm TRS jack for parallel audio out 😅

My TV has bluetooth. But only as in input. It's to use the TV as basically a bluetooth speaker.

My TV has bluetooth. But only as in input. It's to use the TV as basically a bluetooth speaker.
That reminds me of the B&O TV sets I used to dream of back in the late 90s. You could “stream” content from your main video and audio systems on smaller TVs and speakers and that included (AFAIK) the option to use just the speakers of a TV set.

Speaking (broadly) of India: years ago, I had been sent to Bangalore for a delivery. On the way home, I took an Uber from the hotel to the airport and the driver didn’t speak English. So he simply asked “Kannada?” to find out if I understood the local language. My reply: “No, I’m going to Germany!”

I had just taped up the final Christmas parcel of the year and put it in a bag to take it to the nearby DHL place. The only thing missing was the other, smaller parcel I had finished moments earlier.

A few minutes of frantic searching (I did have the estimated pickup time as a vague deadline) later, I came to the conclusion that the one place where I might have put a small cardboard box was almost certainly with the other, albeit prettier, small cardboard boxes… i.e. into the aforementioned Final Parcel of the Year. And so it turned out to be.

Is this what being gaslit feels like? :blink:

I had just taped up the final Christmas parcel of the year and put it in a bag to take it to the nearby DHL place. The only thing missing was the other, smaller parcel I had finished moments earlier.

A few minutes of frantic searching (I did have the estimated pickup time as a vague deadline) later, I came to the conclusion that the one place where I might have put a small cardboard box was almost certainly with the other, albeit prettier, small cardboard boxes… i.e. into the aforementioned Final Parcel of the Year. And so it turned out to be.

Is this what being gaslit feels like? :blink:
Your brain just wanted the Christmas unwrapping experience to come early and made it happen.

Speaking of searching, I only just found the spare key to the MX-5 that I hid in July before going on holiday. I only found it because it almost hit me on the head as I removed something from a shelf. I had tried to think where I would put it, but all the clever places I would hide it while away required thinking. I had no doubt that I was being lazy at the time and just wanted somewhere to quickly shove it but where would a lazy person quickly put a key? :hmm: