Hershey's Kisses - "what chocolate experts call a 'barnyard' taste"

I don't eat chocolate anymore, but I wasn't a fan of Hershey's. Smarties are better than M&Ms, Cadbury's Dairy Milk and Flake are awesome. I also love Kinder. Aero is good too.

Nesquik is better than Hershey's syrup also.

I wasn't too happy that Kraft bought Cadbury's. A couple of years back there were some stories about how companies were lobbying the FDA to have them change the definition of chocolate, so they could use substitutes etc. Terrible thing really.

Pretty sure the 5oz bags are only $3 here, actually.

GODDAMMIT I'M GOING TO THE STORE AND FINDING OUT!

(Also I want chips.)

I went to the store and found out. Slightly mistaken, 5oz are $5.

Also, bought underpants.

Had a Toblerone today, it was pretty good.
They used to sell 750g bars of that for ?5 at a German department store chain. Now it's ?6 with a slightly fancier package. I've bought 23 of them over the years... that's over 90,000 kcal's worth of Toblerone. :drool:

These are smarties.
smarties-3.jpg

They rawk.

i know i'm going to sound crazy...

i generally prefer hersheys to many other chocolates, especially nestle. hell i'm to the point i find just about all of godiva's stuff to be horrid tastes-of-nothing money-sinks.

my day to day baking involves either/and/mixing of hershey's stuff and ghirardelli (love their chocolate w/ hazelnut bars/squares!). and until i find a "higher quality" version.. hershey's special dark cocoa powder is great to mix in when making cakes and frostings... mmm..

Baking chocolate, different story. Hard to go wrong with Guittard or Scharfen-Berger. I like the S-B chunks, they make a perfect chocolate chip cookie. Ghiradelli is alright, a bit waxy and the taste is bland.

i generally prefer hersheys to many other chocolates, especially nestle. hell i'm to the point i find just about all of godiva's stuff to be horrid tastes-of-nothing money-sinks.
There's nothing crazy about that IMHO - a large part of the appeal of food is being used to it. A taste you've grown up with is often one you love. Mom's food is the best for a reason. ;-)

You're not crazy. I almost did a double-take when I opened this thread and saw so many people that don't like Hershey's, since it's my favorite milk chocolate. I guess it really is a familiarity thing.

It's one of those food snob things. Hershey's spends a lot of time on quality control and ingredient selection. No, it's not an artisan produced, small batch, product. But it is cheap, consistent, and what you expect in flavor from your brown, pod-derived, confection.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, so when I do I want them to be special. So often times I want to buy European chocolate bars, sometimes with weird ingredients in them. However, occasionally Hershey's and other American candy corporations make an interesting product that I want to try, and I am usually not disappointed with the quality or the flavor.

I have nothing against your average Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar. It's sweet, it doesn't stick to the packaging, it resists melting in your hand due to tempering. It's fine. It's chocolate, it's one of the most humdrum candies out there. I don't seek it out, but I have nothing against it. A Hershey's Kiss is exactly the same, but in a different shape. I will say that I prefer their almond based products, when I'm look for Chocolate with Almonds. They give you a whole almond in a Kiss, or a half dozen or so unmolested almonds in a chocolate bar. I find that preferable to the companies that chop the almonds up. You're just getting almond scraps, and that's a bit boring. How do you know it's not just the trash left over from an almond packaging facility, the almonds that didn't make the cut to be canned or bagged? Each to their own though.