Hershey's Kisses - "what chocolate experts call a 'barnyard' taste"

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Apparently the UK is about to be invaded by Hershey's Kisses and The Guardian is sick :puke: at the thought:

The fact that the diddy conical filth-bombs are on a list (as yet unconfirmed) of Hershey's products expected to be sold exclusively by Asda

They have a distinctive character, described by Paul Richardson in his history of chocolate as "a piquant background flavour of something faintly sour, cheesy, or overripe, what chocolate experts call a 'barnyard' taste."

It's not just the taste of ming, though powerful, which is objectionable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/dec/08/hersheys-kisses-come-to-britain

We've had Nutrageous and Reeces Pieces for a few months, I like them.

As someone who has been eating Hershey chocolate my entire life, even getting it "fresh" while at their factory in Hershey, PA, it really isn't very good.

Hershey's chocolate wasn't ever formulated for gourmet flavor; it was intended simply to be cheap to produce.

Does it really mater how they taste? They're cheap, of course they're not going to be gourmet. If I want good chocolate I don't walk towards the kisses, I head for the Toblerones.

The only hershey's thats good IMO is symphony.

Otherwise they're just meh. Acceptable, but not like over the top blowing my mind with flavor.

I like the Hugs. I just ate several of them.

I once had the misfortune of being offered a piece of Hershey's milk chocolate. It was easily the most vile and reprehensible abuse of cocoa that I've ever tasted.

I once had the misfortune of being offered a piece of Hershey's milk chocolate. It was easily the most vile and reprehensible abuse of cocoa that I've ever tasted.

Hershey's dark chocolate actually isn't too bad. Then again, its hard to mess up dark chocolate.

The regular Hershey bars aren't bad, but some of the things that they make that are supposed to be chocolate are not very good...however, M&M/Mars is like that, too.

If only Lindt truffles weren't $10 a bag...
asstlindt.jpg

Nuggets > Kisses. Kisses require much more effort to open for much less chocolate than you get with the larger, and easier to open Nuggets.
Growing up with Hershey's, it was always my favorite until I left the southern USA and came to California. So much better chocolate exists.

My favorite is Cadbury's Dairy Milk Chocolate. omg I love that stuff. Hershey's is a little more bitter, but lets face it. If you smoke weed, its all good :)

i tried a hershey's bar, milk chocolate once, not the kind of chocolate i'll buy again, tasted like that really disgusting chocolate calendar chocolate, cheap and bitter.

Last edited:
The regular Hershey bars aren't bad, but some of the things that they make that are supposed to be chocolate are not very good...however, M&M/Mars is like that, too.

If only Lindt truffles weren't $10 a bag...
asstlindt.jpg

Lolwut. I just bought a box for $6. That has more in it than a bag!

Sorry, I meant the next size up. I think it's 8 or 9 oz. I've only ever seen the 5oz size in the single-flavor bags, so I assumed that was the slightly larger size. Yeah, those 5oz bags are usually $5-6, so but still about the same price per oz.

Pretty sure the 5oz bags are only $3 here, actually.

GODDAMMIT I'M GOING TO THE STORE AND FINDING OUT!

(Also I want chips.)