Hey from Newby, LS2 V8 Miata

Awesome build. Not a fan of the 'vette badge on the front bumper, though. LSx swapped cars are sweet. I had a deal setup to buy Hinson Supercars' shop car (ls1 swapped FD), but decided I didn't want to worry about a swapped car as pretty much a daily-driver. I think one day I'll build a LSx FD...they're just way too sweet.

Any engine mods yet?

Thanks for the comments and the welcome!

There are two small start-up companies trying to develop and market LSX V8 Miata "Conversion Kits" now, however I started my build about two years ago as a one-off project car. Basically I started with a 1994 Miata I "wore out" in SCCA, NASA and Pro Auto-Sports events (Auto-X and Roadracing track days)

I used basically the bare body as the starting point, and custom fabbed pretty much everything to what you see today.

No. the drive-train isn't stock, the entire drive-train is a Corvett LS2 2006 (New) the T-56 is used from a GTO 2005, the drive-shaft is custom built and the rear-end is a custom built Ford SVT IRS 3:73 gears and posi with Mark Williams hubs and 300M axles.

Yes, I'm an Old fart and my inspiration was to create a Modern Technology "Sunbeam Tiger". I already had done, Chevy V8 Porsche Carrera and Ford V8 datsun 240Z and my kid is a fairly well known engine builder specializing in GM LSXs.

It's not finished and on the road yet so sorry no video to share yet. Thanks again

Wow, I'm genuinely amazed. Never thought that such a massive lump of an engine could fit into such a little car.

Good luck on finishing it.

While I am a little amazed that it fit in a Miata, Chevy small blocks aren't that big physically. Thanks to their pushrod design they are very compact, hence they are crammed into every car imaginable.

Jeff Howard, Howard Performance Gilbert, Arizona.

His primary focus is in High-end Sandcars 100K+ His personal Sand car is an LS2 stroker twin-turbo, intercooled, Dynoes over 1000 HP at the rear wheels.

Sorry no pix, Noticed as a Newby, can't post attachments.

Interesting Dogg, my familie's all in and from Lake Villa.

Last edited:
I got to ride along in a turbo miata at an autocross once. I was surprised at how smooth it was... didn't feel that fast and yet set a very very good time

This one was terrifying. It felt gutless until it spooled and then it literally exploded underneath you. It was on garbage tires, and the car literally weighed NOTHING...when I mean gutted I mean it was missing EVERYTHING including a few body panels. I had heard that this thing was a beast and when I rode in it at first I was wondering what all of the fuss was about...and then he actually fully spooled it...oh my...:lol:

it's not the horsepower that would frighten me in this project car....it's the torque... talk about needing sandbags to put the power down.

I just hope you have a nice FIA-approved seat and 5-point harness for the inside :)

get video of your first drive. I think we all wanna see what a grown man pissing himself looks like :woot:

it's not the horsepower that would frighten me in this project car....it's the torque... talk about needing sandbags to put the power down.

I just hope you have a nice FIA-approved seat and 5-point harness for the inside :)

get video of your first drive. I think we all wanna see what a grown man pissing himself looks like :woot:

Nothing about suspension geometry? For shame! :lol:

Two MOMOs with Simpson 5-point harnesses, all personally race tested by me, even at Laguna seca.

I've already been in V8 Miatas at numerous events on Roadracing courses over the years, still doesn't mean I won't Piss Myself in this car though, thanks.

As far as Suspension, KYB AGX 8-way adjustable shocks with, Ground Control Coil-overs 425 Lb springs front, 375 Lb springs rear, heavy sway bars front and rerar with adjustable heim end links, everything in supension including control arms (redesigned and re-inforced) are urethane bushed.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how does a LS7 fit into a Miata engine bay.....if at all? :D

All of the GM Gen III (LS1, LS6) and Gen IV (LS2, LS3, LS7 and LS9) LS V8s are essentially the same dimensions (LS7 does have a dry sump oiling system that would have to be accomodated.

Not to mislead, that Miata engine bay has extensive plasma cutting and metal fabrication done along with a totally new tubular k-member to make that engine fit. Time and money consuming for sure.

That is one amazing little car, much cooler than a V8 Evo imo :D

Thanks Blayde, it's been a long project but I think it'll be worth it (fun-wise)

Nothing about suspension geometry? For shame! :lol:

ouch! you wound me! At least its looks are almost totally stealth on the outside :p

Jeff Howard, Howard Performance Gilbert, Arizona.

His primary focus is in High-end Sandcars 100K+ His personal Sand car is an LS2 stroker twin-turbo, intercooled, Dynoes over 1000 HP at the rear wheels.

Sorry no pix, Noticed as a Newby, can't post attachments.

Interesting Dogg, my familie's all in and from Lake Villa.

Haha that's cool and ironic. A few buddies and I have been talking (mostly jokingly, but somewhat seriously) about moving out to AZ. Doing a little research I found that Gilbert seemed like a nice area. I have the town's website in my favorites somewhere, lol. How do you like it out there?

Been here in Arizona mountains (100 miles north of Gilbert) 30 years and love it. 4 seasons. All my kids live in Gilbert, beautiful community & expensive, but they all make serious money in their businesses, so I guess it's relative.

Great Car guy area, 5 World class Roadracing courses, Bondurant School, 3 Kart tracks out-door, 3 in-door, two drag-strips (Nationals at Firebird) (Pinks at Speed-World), car-shows year round, Barrett-Jackson, Russo-Steele and every Friday night cruiser & week-end car shows like the Pavillions in Scottsdale

SUMMER; Hot, Super Hot like a massive hair dryer blowing on ya during the peak of summer, your house MUST have a Pool.

Have great week-end.