High Definition Playback Guide

Sorry if it's a repost, but XenonMKV will allow 360 users to watch the HD rip.

If you use the current build, the audio sync will be off by about a second, so I used build 35 and it worked perfectly.

XenonMKV is built specifically for playing MKVs on the 360, so it follows all the goofy MS requirements, it just changes the AVC level of the video to 4.1 and repackages it in an MP4 container. It does re-encode the audio into 2-channel AAC, though. If you set the quality to q1 in the options you'll end up with a bigger file but hear no audible quality loss.

Stream the file using TVersity or burn a couple eps to DVD and you're golden.

Last edited:
Here are the steps with QT Pro.
  1. Download & Install Perrin so Quicktime can open MKVs.
  2. Open QT 7 (on Snow Leopard you have to go find it, not Quicktime Player)
  3. File -> Open -> Choose your MKV
  4. Wait for the MKV to fully load into quicktime (the dark gray progress bar in the QT window will slowly fill up
  5. File -> Export...
  6. In the upper "Export" box at the bottom, select "Movie to MPEG-4"
  7. Choose the Options button to the right
  8. In the File Format box at the top, choose "MP4" and NOT "MP4 (IMSA)"
  9. On the Video poriton, choose "Pass through" for the Video Format
  10. On the Audio "tab" choose AAC LC, Stereo, and I've used 192kbps with success (the original AC-3 file in these MKVs is at 192 as well). Set sample rate to 48000 Hz which is the same as the original (we don't want to do a sample conversion here as it will slow things down).
  11. All Done, OK out of the Options box, and then hit Save to actually create the new file.

Best part is that once you configure the Options a single time they will "stick" for future MPEG-4 conversions, so it is a lot quicker (no screwing with settings first) the second time around.

Awesome post, ZPrime! Once I get a Mac, I'll be sure to use your approach (as I do have QT Pro license for Windows ... I wonder if this would work for me too ... )

Wanted to add, new version of Handbrake that came out last week works on its own! :mrgreen: So now it's just one step to convert to AppleTV :)

OK. I don't know what was up with the passthrough with MKVTools, but I found it made the video 1818x720 anamorphic so playback was 1280x720 :? In any case MKVTools using built in encoder will make an AppleTV playable mp4! but it's still 1818x720, plays as 1280x720 on ATV. Even so, not ideal IMO

secondly I tried MKVTools passthrough to fix the audio(very quick) than processed in Handbrake to create the final file. This way the weird res can be fixed and made correct 1280x720 Plus handbrake encodes faster and has more control/adjustments. I think I'll be sticking to this method here on out. May also try the 1080i/p version and downsizing to 720p (figure since I have to reencode to make it work should start off with a better file first?)

In any case, I've got it all worked out YAY family will be watching tonight after dinner :cool: next week I've got the process down so I'll have it for Monday night viewing as we've had for past seasons :mrgreen:

YAY HD!!!!

Awesome post, ZPrime! Once I get a Mac, I'll be sure to use your approach (as I do have QT Pro license for Windows ... I wonder if this would work for me too ... )
Unfortunately, Apple blows and a QTPro Windows key does NOT work on Mac. If you look hard enough you can find almost anything on the Internet though. :p

The "Perrin" control panel is what enables QTPro on Mac to open the MKV in the first place... unless there is a similar analog on Windows, you won't be able to use this method there. I'd just use mkv2vob or the XenonMKV option posted just above.

well I don't have QTPro key and Handbrake is free ;)

I also just got the TS of 14x02 Handbrake works great with that as well, reencode to 720p with HB and it looks better than the 720p download version so hurry up and post the TS of 14x03! :)

SD version?

SD version?

G'day all,
I've read this entire thread and some of you made reference to 700MB SD versions kicking around the place for Season 14 - yet when I go searching for them all I come across are the 720 and 1080 files. Neither of which will work with my DVD player. It's a nifty Philips with a USB port and all previous 700MB rips worked, it supports Divx.
Is there no way to convert these files into something my DVD player can read? Everything thing else seems to be converting to PS3 or Xbox, I have neither.

Better yet, bring back the SD rips (if they have gone). They looked great on my telly and just WORKED. I can download two of those instead of one 1.45GB (a fifth of my off peak quota!) 720 episode. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

They haven't gone anywhere and they're linked to in the exact same place as previous seasons...

Just click on the big, bold "Click here to download our torrent from BT-Chat.com ?" text...

Unfortunately, Apple blows and a QTPro Windows key does NOT work on Mac. If you look hard enough you can find almost anything on the Internet though. :p.

IMO, this is why MKV4XBOX is a better (and simpler) solution because many people like me, don't have and don't want to buy a Quicktime Pro license.

They haven't gone anywhere and they're linked to in the exact same place as previous seasons...

Just click on the big, bold "Click here to download our torrent from BT-Chat.com ?" text...

D'oh. Many thanks, I was blinded by the two HD links above it. :lol:

so what are the minimum computing requirements to get the 1080 file to play smoothly? i can play it with various software... but its as choppy as Yan with his Ginsu (from Yan Can Cook).

Apparently more than you have.

There's no way to specify you'll need at least xyz megahurtz in your pc. Try playing it back over your GPU, there's a guide somewhere in the depth of the forums.

Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread so, what happened to the usual ts this week? Was a nice simple 'rename .ts to .mpg, stream to PS3' job like in the first post for episodes 1 and 2, but for episode 3 someone's decided to stick it in a very slightly smaller mkv instead, which isn't anywhere near as simple to deal with.

I have read the entire thread, but couldn't find anything relating to my question:
I want to know whether there's any point in downloading the 720 version to play on my HD TV via my laptop?
I do not have HDMI on my laptop, so can only use S-Video or a 15-pin connector thingy, but want to know whether either of these cables will allow the 720 rip to be shown as such, or whether i should just stick to the SD rip.

cheers,
einzack.

Haven't seen this mentioned in this thread so, what happened to the usual ts this week? Was a nice simple 'rename .ts to .mpg, stream to PS3' job like in the first post for episodes 1 and 2, but for episode 3 someone's decided to stick it in a very slightly smaller mkv instead, which isn't anywhere near as simple to deal with.
Honestly I fucked up and thought it was a TS. I wasn't paying attention.

I'll see if I can find a TS.

I want to know whether there's any point in downloading the 720 version to play on my HD TV via my laptop?
I do not have HDMI on my laptop, so can only use S-Video or a 15-pin connector thingy, but want to know whether either of these cables will allow the 720 rip to be shown as such, or whether i should just stick to the SD rip.

S-Video is transmitting SD signals, so there's no point in going for HD content.

If your "15-pin connector thingy" is a D-sub connector with three rows of pins (DE15, analogue VGA monitor connection) then you should be able to transmit HD content.

S-Video is transmitting SD signals, so there's no point in going for HD content.

If your "15-pin connector thingy" is a D-sub connector with three rows of pins (DE15, analogue VGA monitor connection) then you should be able to transmit HD content.

thanks alot!
sounds like it is D-sub connector that i've got so i'll try that for next weeks episode.

Do note that a number of LCD TVs only support a maximum of 1600x1200 via DB15/VGA inputs, so you might want to check your user manual.

i've had a quick look at my TV's manual and it's got a few bits of info, but this seems to be the one i want right?
Max. display resolution (for PC connection)
4:3 - 1,440 x 1,080 pixels
16:9 - 1,920 x 1,080 pixels

that seems to be good news right...

i've had a quick look at my TV's manual and it's got a few bits of info, but this seems to be the one i want right?
Max. display resolution (for PC connection)
4:3 - 1,440 x 1,080 pixels
16:9 - 1,920 x 1,080 pixels

that seems to be good news right...