High Definition Playback Guide

Maybe someone can help me out:

I'm trying to transfer the 4+ GB 1080i TS rips to my PS3, but with some difficulty. First, files larger than 4 GB aren't allowed on the FAT32 file system, which external storage needs to be for the PS3 to read it. I've tried transferring over my network, via PS3 media tunnel, but it's terribly slow to get that whole thing across. How can I get such a huge file over quickly? Any help?

Thanks

Ok so the guide to show you how to optimize the windows classic player is horrible, that guy wrote more about the history of the pixel than the actual frikin steps on optimization.

I downloaded the Codec pack, and I have windows calssic.

But when I went to the Internal Filters section, which Source and Tranform filters do I click to turn on? I was confused, so I turned them ALL on, and then when I would play the video all I get is sound and no picture. So I turned them all off. Now I get both sound and picture, but the picture is really slow and doesnt sync up with the audio.

So what the helll do I do now?

I am trying to watch the 720p verison, to get a bit faster playback instead of the massive 1080 file.

I have an older PC, but I have a GeForce 7600 GT videocard.

I would like to AT LEAST watch the 720p Top Gear vids.

Help?

Anyone?

A 7600GT doesn't support DXVA, so if your CPU just isn't able to do 720p playback even with any other programs turned off then you have two choices. First, you could go with SD - not good. Second, you could use VLC and turn off some additional processing on h264 playback which can remove 20-30% of the processing. Setting path would be extras -> preferences -> input & codec -> skip loop filters -> select all instead of none -> save -> restart player -> profit.

Toyo, you may have to re-download the file. I had to do it for episode two as my previous one was corrupt and I was unable to convert it. Try that!

You never have to redownload a torrent. Your client hash checks the parts as they are downloaded. Sometimes it can fail though for whatever reason, so it's merely a matter of stopping the torrent and then right-clicking it and selecting "Force Re-Check". This will check the hash of the entire file and discard any parts of it that were downloaded wrong. If any pieces were bad, you can then just download those single pieces again.

Indeed. The chances for a file to be bad but repeatedly succeed in the hash check are very, very, very, very slim. Think winning a 6 out of 49 lottery (1 in 13983816)... about 7 times in a row :lmao: (to be precise, 1 in 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 for a 160bit hash).

Ok so the guide to show you how to optimize the windows classic player is horrible, that guy wrote more about the history of the pixel than the actual frikin steps on optimization.

I downloaded the Codec pack, and I have windows calssic.

But when I went to the Internal Filters section, which Source and Tranform filters do I click to turn on? I was confused, so I turned them ALL on, and then when I would play the video all I get is sound and no picture. So I turned them all off. Now I get both sound and picture, but the picture is really slow and doesnt sync up with the audio.

So what the helll do I do now?

I am trying to watch the 720p verison, to get a bit faster playback instead of the massive 1080 file.

I have an older PC, but I have a GeForce 7600 GT videocard.

I would like to AT LEAST watch the 720p Top Gear vids.

Help?

You don't need both CCCP and MPCHC. MPCHC has it's owned self contained codecs and splitters. CCCP is only needed when direct show players, such as WMP, do not recognize certain file types or codecs. I suggest uninstalling both CCCP and MPCHC and using CCleaner to wipe out any of the filters written into the registry.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-media-player-classic-hc.html

Re-download MPCHC, I recommend the zip version since it requires no install. Create a new folder in whatever directory you want and name it to your liking. Unzip the files to the folder you created and run the app. If by any chance you do not want to use it anymore just delete that same folder and it will be gone. No uninstaller required.

Once the app is running type "o". This will bring up the options menu.
Click on Playback -> Output.
If you're on XP select VMR9 Renderless
If Vista/7 select EVR Vista or EVR Custom
If you want subtitles (only if the video has any) go back to playback and check Auto-load subtitles.
Next click on Internal Filters. This allows what filters you want MPCHC to handle.
The default settings should be good enough, just make sure Matroska is selected in the source filter.

As for your 7600 GT, according to this PDF it should handle H264 for HD video. However, it only applies for the PCIE variant. If you have an AGP 7600GT hardware acceleration is not supported.
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf

If you're still unsure whether your card is capable of acceleration use a DXVA checker.

To find out if you're GPU can use hardware acceleration for videos use the DXVA checker.

http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/en/index.html#DXVAChecker

This is just an example of mine, your's may be different.
http://img14.imageshack.**/img14/5007/dxva.png

Look for ModeH264 and/or ModeVC1. If this is present then you're good to go.
Windows 2000 and XP users will see the DXVA1 API, Vista and later users will see DXVA2 API. If nothing appears, sadly your GPU has no hardware acceleration capabilities. :(

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc307941(VS.85).aspx

Note: Some GPUs might only do partial acceleration. Example, the 8800GT can not fully decode VC1 streams by itself, it still needs to offload a bit of data to the CPU.

You never have to redownload a torrent. Your client hash checks the parts as they are downloaded. Sometimes it can fail though for whatever reason, so it's merely a matter of stopping the torrent and then right-clicking it and selecting "Force Re-Check". This will check the hash of the entire file and discard any parts of it that were downloaded wrong. If any pieces were bad, you can then just download those single pieces again.

Any idea on how to do a Re-check on utorrent? I checked their forums without much success.

1. ATI HD series video cards should support Motion Adaptive and Vector Adaptive de-interlacing which should be even better. (My HD3850 has that option; however, a HP-Compaq laptop with HD4200 doesn't). Can not comment whether the green party (nVidia, I mean :mrgreen:) has this option

After several un and reinstalls of CCC, the HD4200 also now has the options to choose Adaptive, Motion Adaptive and Vector Adaptive. Also, confirmed, that all HD-series (except HD2900: "However, the Radeon HD 2900 series video cards do not include the UVD (though it is able to provide similar functionality through the use of its shaders)") ATI video cards support AD/MAD/VAD as a part of a feature of UVD,

As for nVidia, they should have something called "Spatial-temporal de-interlacing" which should be also an adaptive de-interlacing. However, I don't know which cards support this and how to turn this on (or how to check whether it's turned on)

Last edited:

I'm trying to transfer the 4+ GB 1080i TS rips to my PS3, but with some difficulty. First, files larger than 4 GB aren't allowed on the FAT32 file system, which external storage needs to be for the PS3 to read it. I've tried transferring over my network, via PS3 media tunnel, but it's terribly slow to get that whole thing across. How can I get such a huge file over quickly? Any help?

Thanks

Connect your computer and the PS3 directly with a GbE cable. It' transfers within 2 minutes like that, yes, even the > 4 GB files.

Now I'm getting really sick of TS files. I can't get them to play using MPC. I've tried everything in this thread and all I can get in audio, no video. However, the 720p MKV rips play just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Now I'm getting really sick of TS files. I can't get them to play using MPC. I've tried everything in this thread and all I can get in audio, no video. However, the 720p MKV rips play just fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

TS files are as basic as it gets.
Try Media Player if you're using Windows. If it won't play, there's something wrong with either the file or with the splitter/codecs.

Haali Media Splitter included in CCCP

Already have Haali installed.

TS files are as basic as it gets.
Try Media Player if you're using Windows. If it won't play, there's something wrong with either the file or with the splitter/codecs.

I figured it out anyhow. I had to go in an turn off the internal MPEG2 codec in MPC and it all works fine now.

Thanks

I've tried a USB stick, a memory stick pro and an ethernet cable as suggested a few posts back, also my pc won't act as a media server no matter what I do downloaded tversity and tried wmp.

Is there some program which will allow splitting the 4.5bg 1080 ts or mpg file so it can be watched on PS3 without losing quality?

Have You tried burning the TS file onto a DVD and playing that in the PS3?

I have updated the instructions for people using OSX Snow Leopard. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Whats the latest and greatest way to convert the .mkv files into something playable on my Xbox360 (something I could just put on a flash drive and play) geez I miss my samsung bluray player that could just play them natively.

Whats the latest and greatest way to convert the .mkv files into something playable on my Xbox360 (something I could just put on a flash drive and play) geez I miss my samsung bluray player that could just play them natively.

You could transcode it manually using like Handbrake but it's easier to just set up a DLNA server on your computer which will let you browse your media from your 360 and then the software will transcode it on the fly for your 360.

I used to use http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/ (started life for PS3, works for anything now) but I have since switched to https://plex.tv/

Plex is awesome in that you can watch it on your mobile devices or other computers from anywhere in the world and automatically pulls in all information about your media. That last bit won't be very useful for playing it on your 360 but it will be for playback in a browser or mobile device.