High framerate video recording

Alok

The TomTom did it.
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra 5F
After seeing AdvanTech's video of the slow motion autocross, I thought it wouldnt be such bad idea to make a similar video of drifting, but for that I'd need to rent some equipment for the recording.

As I have no clue what hardware is available, I am tapping into the bottomless well of wisdom that is Finalgear ;)

What cameras are out there that can do super slow mo?

Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 - up to 1200fps and on my wishlist. Must have that box...

The Exilim one can only record at a low resolution @ 1200 fps. This is what the exilim site says about it:

Hi-Speed Movies 512 ? 384 (300 fps), 432 ? 192 (600 fps), 336 ? 96 (1200 fps)

You can get more information and sample videos here.

The burnout video was done at 400.

Yeap, the casio resolution at high speed is 300px times something, pretty low for my needs.

The video of the burnout looks higher quality, but the guy doesn't seem to want to share the information. Been asked multiple times, but no reply.

I asked a similar question in the burnout video thread, but no reply so far...

I used a camera this year that could shoot ~1600x1200 at 1000fps. It's called the Phantom V9. I don't recall the exact price, but I know it was a lot. Possibly too expensive to rent even... not sure.

I used a camera this year that could shoot ~1600x1200 at 1000fps. It's called the Phantom V9. I don't recall the exact price, but I know it was a lot. Possibly too expensive to rent even... not sure.

The world truly is a small place....

Googled that Phantom camera out of interest, had a look around their site and sent them an email re prices. Got a reply straight away and it turns out the guy that sells them in the UK was coming to the island the next day to catch some footage of the MGP. So, met him today and had a look at them in action - amazing kit! They're proper metal boxes - very sturdy and well made. Takes a multitude of different lenses and hooks up to a laptop with their own software doing all the setup and recording. Used in loads of adverts and movies but unfortunately the price tag also reflects the quality.

Still thinking of buying one, though. Even the base kit isn't cheap but they also do an HD version. Price? Well... you can either buy the HD version or a new Range Rover V8 with all options and really pretty wheels :blink:

Now then, how am I gonna explain this to my bank manager :lol: