Hilux=Fail

And what happens when an elk flies over your bonnet and plows through the windscreen? Hitting a 2 metres tall 700kg (~1500lbs) elk that has a high center of gravity just isn't a same thing as hitting a 35kg (~80lbs) deer.

my car being what it is... I'd likely have slammed on the brakes, backed off long enough to grab the e-brake and pray that either a) I go off the side of the road and use as much of the back of the car to take the impact into the tree I'd inevitably hit or b) hope the back or side of car hits said Moose/Elk and pray I come out alive

My car is a tin can, I'm screwed no matter how I go about it. This is why I tend to pay attention to what I'm doing, and be a bit cautious in areas where deer (elk/moose don't live down here) should be out or I see any.

This is kind of interesting since there is a way of preventing a rollover. I don't know if you guys remember the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco (duh, really). At the BMW driver training school one of the drivers was doing testing on how to safely do an evasive manoeuver in a top heavy vehicle. Braking first so that the front nosedives and then manoeuver out of the way. It prevented a rollover. If you did the same manoeuver without braking, the vehicle rolled over.

That's a bit of a worst case scenario, isn't it?

Still, fair point. Didn't expect a truck to actually be able to cope with a moose that well.

American trucks are fairly safe in conventional impacts - but they can be deadly to their occupants if they roll over (and don't have a roll bar). (The F-150 is a bad example, the last couple of generations have had defects - the one below is only pictured to show you how bad it can get when they rollover.)

benavides3.jpg

Trucks are well equipped (the heavier, like a 2500 or 3500 class, the better) to take on a moose head on. They don't do so well if they evade the moose, have a wheel dig in and flip.

American trucks are fairly safe in conventional impacts - but they can be deadly to their occupants if they roll over (and don't have a roll bar). (The F-150 is a bad example, the last couple of generations have had defects - the one below is only pictured to show you how bad it can get when they rollover.)

http://www.autosafety.org/images/benavides3.jpg

Trucks are well equipped (the heavier, like a 2500 or 3500 class, the better) to take on a moose head on. They don't do so well if they evade the moose, have a wheel dig in and flip.
Well I'll be damned...

I could start trolling about how you'd expect a vehicle with tendencies to roll over to have a proper roof...but I'm sick of this argument. Trucks are stronger than mooses, glhf.

Well I'll be damned...

I could start trolling about how you'd expect a vehicle with tendencies to roll over to have a proper roof...but I'm sick of this argument. Trucks are stronger than mooses, glhf.

I'm inclined to agree with you on that. Sadly US law on truck safety is different from that on car safety and the companies take advantage of this.

Kind of ironic really, in the 70's a few people start bitching about car safety, they get that, and everyone jumps over to the "unsafe" pick-up trucks.

Toyota blames the 16" tires that were used, and they won't sell them anymore.. However, The ppl that did the test also tried the 15" tire and said that it was a bit better but still highly unstable!

It may have been the tire type and brand, not just the size, too. It's happened before. The tires may have been *too* sticky.

^Mercedes also blamed the tires when their A-class fell over..