Hilux=Fail

Karoug

Techno Viking
Car(s)
Scooter power!!
Last edited by a moderator:
I really assumed automakers wouldn't let a product go to sale if they know it tips, guess not. <_<

That's the elk test it failed.

Tall vehicles tip. Wow, what a revelation. I don't speak swedish so I only hope they're saying "This is why you don't drive pickups and SUV's like you drive your V70".

they might be entering the complex at the same speed, but the 10secs run up of the mitsubishi seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer... :tvhorror:

Aw... Looks like you Europeans are *just now* discovering that vehicles with high ground clearance and high centers of gravity *will* tip over if used this way.

News flash - *Any* offroad capable truck or SUV (like the Land Rovers, which also failed this test) with adequate ground clearance will flip more easily than a standard car - even the Mercedes ML or Porsche Cayenne. Yes, even the Porsche Cayenne, with all its vaunted stability and anti-rollover systems.

cayenne_20050917_002.jpg

cayanne_20050911_001.jpg

The US has taken official notice of this since the 1980s. That's why SUVs and trucks come with the following warning label:

"This is a multipurpose passenger vehicle which will handle and maneuver differently from an ordinary passenger car, in driving conditions which may occur on streets and highways and off road.

As with other vehicles of this type, if you make sharp turns or abrupt maneuvers, the vehicle may roll over or may go out of control and crash. You should read driving guidelines and instructions in the Owner's Manual, and wear your seat belt at all times."

We've only known about this since, oh, the 1980s?

p4broncotest.jpg

montero_ltd.jpg

And you guys are just NOW figuring this out??? Oh, before you start screaming about Euro safety standards, may I remind you that you guys actually let those Chinese cars in for sale there? The ones that fold up like an accordion when hit?

brilliancecrash.jpg

Remember.
In america that car is a good handling one. ^_^

:drums:

No, sorry. It's a truck. It's a decent handler for a truck, but it's still a truck. Over here, you don't bother trying to avoid the moose/elk/deer/whatever. Why? Because you fitted a BIG honking guard on the front of your truck to catch the animal with minimal damage to your truck - but those are illegal in many parts of the EU, so this kind of silliness is to be expected.

I really assumed automakers wouldn't let a product go to sale if they know it tips, guess not. <_<

*ALL* cars can roll over/tip/flip. Even your Subaru Legacy - it's just that the taller the vehicle (higher center of gravity) the more likely it is to flip.

Note that rollovers are what just about killed the convertible in the US in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
...and the award for "Taking Shit Too Seriously" goes to that man...

oh my god my pickup trunk doesn't handle like a sports car, maybe I shouldn't drive it like one!!

In all seriousness, there suppose to drive like that so you can this
[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mztlSMIu3sY[/YOUTUBE]
please mute sound, it's god awful

Who puts their name on the back of their truck? Al is a douche.

oh my god my pickup trunk doesn't handle like a sports car, maybe I shouldn't drive it like one!!

In all seriousness, there suppose to drive like that so you can this
[YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mztlSMIu3sY[/YOUTUBE]
please mute sound, it's god awful

actually i find the music suits the video lawl :lol:

the test is for a common crash avoidance , it isn't about how sporty it is

The elk test is also the reason why you stick bull-bars on a truck, no need for avoiding stuff then :)

In all seriousness, when I drive a big top heavy vehicle I naturally don't try and go as fast as a normal car and I defiantly don't do crazy swerving maneuvers

The elk test is also the reason why you stick bull-bars on a truck, no need for avoiding stuff then :)

In all seriousness, when I drive a big top heavy vehicle I naturally don't try and go as fast as a normal car and I defiantly don't do crazy swerving maneuvers

You joke, but that is true. One of the things I was told by the locals "when you see an animal on the road is to just run through it" if you can't safely go around it.

As much damage as an elk or a deer can cause to the front end of a truck, it's a lot less than that of rolling said truck and being stopped by a tree. Plus you get at least 1 good meal out of the left over meat :p

You joke, but that is true. One of the things I was told by the locals "when you see an animal on the road is to just run through it" if you can't safely go around it.

As much damage as an elk or a deer can cause to the front end of a truck, it's a lot less than that of rolling said truck and being stopped by a tree. Plus you get at least 1 good meal out of the left over meat :p

Yup. Grille Guards and Bull Bars are known as "deer strainers" for a *reason*.

Yup. Grille Guards and Bull Bars are known as "deer strainers" for a *reason*.

and they make perfect sense if the majority of your homeland is rural, but i can't blame the EU for banning them in most places. I'm not really a safety advocate, but replace the word deer with children if you don't follow what i mean.