• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Holden Executive's "refined" Monaro

Janus

This is very vague as I can't remember where read the story on it, but, I read somewhere that the executive responsible for resurrecting the Monaro in it's modern incarnation received a "refined" left hand drive version of the car as a retirement present from the company a couple of year ago.

Basically I'm wondering if anybody knows what "refined" means? And if they can find any pictures.

Ahh what was the name of the Head Dude who left Holden...he was a German dude I think...find his name and you might be able to find the answer. I'll check the Holden news archives.

Peter Hanenberger was the ex. Managing Director's name. When you say refined, it was a special LHD Monaro in black with tan leather interior (only car with that colour combination) and the HSV version of the LS1 V8.

Here's a linky with info:

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=4446&vf=1

hanenberger3.jpg

lol big deal eh...old fart driving something thats more or less standard. I still respect him though..he did miracles for Holden ;)

STANDARD?!! It had the HSV+Callaway 300KW motor in it!!

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
lol big deal eh...old fart driving something thats more or less standard.

flyingfridge said:

EXACTLY!!! That thing would have packed a bloody punch. When that engine was in the HSV, it was damn powerful; in a lighter (and frankly, better looking) Monaro it'd be insane!

watto said:
lol big deal eh...old fart driving something thats more or less standard.

flyingfridge said:

EXACTLY!!! That thing would have packed a bloody punch. When that engine was in the HSV, it was damn powerful; in a lighter (and frankly, better looking) Monaro it'd be insane!
Yeh yeh I know...I just meant "standard" in terms of looks/trim etc..

I dought he drives it anymore...probly a newer model. A Statesman or Caprice would suit him more.

Why wouldn't he drive it? He said the Monaro and GTO were the greatest successes of his business career. And think about it. German town+Australian Car = Rare. I guarantee that's about the only Monaro in Germany. That kind of uniqueness is fairly hard to come by. I'd be betting he definitely still drives it.

I just meant "standard" in terms of looks/trim etc

Yeah. I'd seen a pic of the outside, but I thought maybe they had done something special on the inside. The Satnav is pretty rare (I have it in mine :D )...but a standard optional extra on the high end Holden's, just not many people take it in Australia as this technology hasn't become as mainstream here.

flyingfridge said:
Why wouldn't he drive it? He said the Monaro and GTO were the greatest successes of his business career. And think about it. German town+Australian Car = Rare. I guarantee that's about the only Monaro in Germany. That kind of uniqueness is fairly hard to come by. I'd be betting he definitely still drives it.
Oh so its in Germany...well then its a diffrent story. I certainly WOULD drive it there however come to think of it, I would go down to the shops and buy me an AMG since there is nowhere else in the world where you can get one cheaper :mrgreen: :D

They should have given him the HRT427 concept car as a goodbye gift. Could you imagine him :driving:

I still respect him though..he did miracles for Holden ;)

No he didn't, Ford just brough out the AU.

I still respect him though..he did miracles for Holden ;)

Yes and No. Yes he brought Holden to the attention of senior GM management and gave them the accolades they deserve. His efforts are largely responsible for great achievements like the GTO program and selling Monaro in the UK.

But he also lead Holden down a path of model proliferation and attemping to fill every market niche possible. End result was Holden grew too fast, and it became under-resourced and over-committed. Vehicle programs that were ridiculously short-sighted were approved only to be a flop in the market - Adventra anyone?

Cashflow became a major problem. Did you see last week's news of Holden dramatically cutting production and laying off staff?

In short the Hanenberger-Ross McKenzie team gave Holden some great short-term gains, but now it's got some very big issues to deal with.

How do I know this? I worked in the Finance dept at Holden for five years up until two years ago, and still keep in touch with friends there.

Oh, and as skip pointed out - the AU Falcon was a massive own-goal for Ford and was a significant contributor to the sales success of VT and post-VT Commodore. That sales success made senior Holden management blind to the faults of the vehicle and instilled a certain arrogance in management. Never did Holden management acknowledge the AU-factor in the Commodore sales success, they figured it was all because the VT was the best thing since sliced bread.

BTW - if you like the sound the Hanenberger's Monaro, at one stage his runabout was another black Monaro with the 427 motor :eek:

fbc said:
Edit: Rant deleted

BTW - if you like the sound of Hanenberger's Monaro, at one stage his runabout was another black Monaro with the 427 motor :eek:
Why? I didnt see your post when I made mine above but I had acually quoted you and was going to respond about what you said about the Adventra which was a good point. I didnt post it though because half way through I ran out and went for a spin in our courtesy car :mrgreen:

Never mind, always feel free to rant...rants are usually the most accurate stuff you see in a forum...most of the time, people 'filter' their posts to please others. Say what you want I say! (within some ground rules..)

^ There you go, it's back now :)

I was worried it sound too much like sour grapes - but it's not, I genuinely enjoyed my time at Holden, even though there were moments of :wall:. I miss being part of the industry now.

Never mind, always feel free to rant...rants are usually the most accurate stuff you see in a forum...most of the time, people 'filter' their posts to please others. Say what you want I say! (within some ground rules..)

Agreed, I always love a good rant, especially when it's clear someone is being highly passionate about the subject at hand.

^ That sums up how I feel about it - there's some very very talented people at Holden, so it's quite sad when the company suffers at the hands of arrogant management.

Interesting quote about the Adventra - I wasn't in the meeting when this was said, but I was told it by a person who attended - "I don't care how much the car costs - Peter loves it" (naturally I can't tell you who said that, but it was someone very high up in the Adventra program).

That was the something that was both good and bad about Hanenberger - he was very passionate about the product, we need more car execs like that, but that sometimes made him very blind to the reality of a situation (i.e. you could see Adventra was going to be a flop, especially with their V8-only high-price tactic, but management wouldn't see it)