Holden recalls 13,000 cars

Devon

Car(s)
2008 MY09 Subaru Impreza RX
Holden recall over faulty buckle fears
Barry Park, Deputy Motoring Editor
November 11, 2006

Holden hit with second Commodore recall

HOLDEN will recall almost 13,000 Commodores to replace potentially faulty foreign-made seatbelt buckles.

The precautionary recall, the second for the recently released Commodore range, was issued yesterday after Holden discovered springs inside the rear seatbelt buckles could be bent when the buckles were being assembled by hand.

"In the unlikely event that this occurs, the tongue latch plate may not fully engage, which may allow the belt to unlatch," the company said.

"The supplier has modified assembly to an automated process and acknowledged full responsibility for the rework activity."

Holden said the supplier would pay for replacing the buckles in VE Commodores, WM Statesmans and Caprices, and HSVs.

The voluntary recall also affects almost 1200 cars sold in New Zealand and South Africa.

American car safety company TRW Automotive makes the buckles in South Africa.

Autoliv made the buckles for the previous generation of Commodores at its Campbellfield factory. Autoliv declined to comment yesterday.

Holden spokesman Dieter Lehmann said the flaw was discovered during testing at the Lang Lang proving ground, south-east of Melbourne. He said no customers had reported the problem.

He said the recall did not add weight to criticisms that the number of foreign-built parts in the new Commodore made it the least Australian one yet.

"We're very confident that the vehicle is of a very high quality," Mr Lehmann said. "Regardless of where a part is from, if Holden deems it necessary to recall (a car), it will."

Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries chief executive Peter Sturrock said Holden's quality problems were not unique to the car maker.

"All companies source from overseas as well as locally ? there's nothing unusual about that," he said. "All companies recall things from time to time to address quality issues."

Commodore is Australia's biggest-selling car. The recall is the second for the Commodore, Statesman and Caprice range, with the first issued last month after it was found a fuel hose fitting on more than 1500 V8 engines could spill petrol onto hot engine parts.

www.recalls.gov.au

Source

good that they acted on it rather than sitting on their hands until something went wrong.

Pretty minor recall in the big scheme of things, most cars experience recalls at some point in time (if you ever read the *cough* forum's on drive.com.au you'd be led to beleive that nothing Toyota has ever breaks nor BMW nor Mercedes...)

It's so goddamn lame that fanboys on both sides leap on vehicle recalls to prove some sort of point about the vehicle's quality. Doesn't a recall show that the company is concerned about the quality and want's to serve it's customers? How inconvenient could this possibly be to owners?

The way I see it, the owner of a vehicle that get's recalled should take the following steps:
1) obtain recall info from dealer.
2) bring car to dealer for servicing.
3) enjoy the reading material and coffee in the waiting area.
4) leave with the vehicle.

People who don't own the vehicles in question should do this:
1) shut the hell up, or
2) kill self.

I'm not a Holden fanboy nor am i an Ford fanboy.

But I find it pretty funny that it's been recalled twice and it hasn't been on the market for long, especially with the billion dollar budget it had, and no I am not trying to start a debate.

It's so goddamn lame that fanboys on both sides leap on vehicle recalls to prove some sort of point about the vehicle's quality. Doesn't a recall show that the company is concerned about the quality and want's to serve it's customers? How inconvenient could this possibly be to owners?

The way I see it, the owner of a vehicle that get's recalled should take the following steps:
1) obtain recall info from dealer.
2) bring car to dealer for servicing.
4) leave with the vehicle.

People who don't own the vehicles in question should do this:
1) shut the hell up, or
2) kill self.

The part about enjoy the reading material and coffee in the waiting area, I think that is the part that troubles people. When people buy a car, they expect it to bring them to and from work everyday without trouble, how is a busy executive or manager going to find 1/2 a day just to fix his car which was completely unnecessary as it should have been fixed when he bought the car, I know this doesn't apply to all the Commodore owners but it does to some... I'm not sure if that is exactly what Holden does but when my parents drove the first gen LS400 in the states (About 1994 I think), it had a recall and the dealers actually called my parents, told them, explained in idiot language what the fault was, apologized, asked for our address so he could come over to pick our Lexus up and leave a replacement car and apologized again because of the scale of the recall, he could only offer a Toyota Camry, gave us fuel vouchers incase we need to hit the gas station if we managed to use a tank of fuel before they could get our car back. That is how a recall should be done IMO

I think this is the way it should be done, just think about it, most commodore sales are through fleets right? Lets just take a simple fleet of 500 Holden Commodores used as Rental cars, who is going to pay for the number of rentals lost because cars were unavailable due to Recall?

The last time I had to wait around the dealership the only reading material they had in there was brochures for Jaguar and Audi, as the dealership is 100 metre up the road, and I remember thinking "man, if I had one of those I wouldn't be waiting around here". :p

I'm not a Holden fanboy nor am i an Ford fanboy.

But I find it pretty funny that it's been recalled twice and it hasn't been on the market for long, especially with the billion dollar budget it had, and no I am not trying to start a debate.

so your an aurion fanyboy then eh??

wait till you see one in real life... mega dissapointment.... On the road it looks IDENTICAL to the new camry, as in totally identical. You have to look for the badge to tell the difference.

If you live out in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne they had one on display at Chirnside Park shopping centre, dunno if it's still there. If you like a world of cheap and nasty grey plastic then the Aurion is for you, the interior is just plain nasty, Hyundai's have a better interior than it!)

I think I definetly support the Aurion if they ran in V8 Supercars :D, but I've yet to see one in real life so I can't say if I like it or not, but from the pictures, I'm lovin it :D

I wouldn't support them if they ran in V8s but I would love to see Toyota give it a go for sure! I doubt it will be with the aurion thought - front wheel drive:p

From the pictures ive seen, i agree, looks great, however havent seen one on the road yet.

wait till you see one in real life... mega dissapointment.... On the road it looks IDENTICAL to the new camry, as in totally identical. You have to look for the badge to tell the difference.
I'm a Holden fanboy and after seeing it at the motorshow, I think it looks surprisingly good.

I'm going to go die now, since I just said that :cry:

I looked at the Aurion and I think its woreful.....

Speaking of woeful I had a close look at a Lexus SC430 today........They should just give up, there should be rules against that kind of thing!

I looked at the Aurion and I think its woreful.....

Speaking of woeful I had a close look at a Lexus SC430 today........They should just give up, there should be rules against that kind of thing!

you only saw it today? Its been around for a long long time... although it looks abit weird, but it still has its class and it wouldn't look out of place parking next to the Ferrari's and Porsche's at the golf clubs or hotels

Yep, it is indeed woeful - looks awful, poorly-proportioned, and totally lacking any sophistication in it's styling - almost looks like something Hyundai or Kia would churn out given the brief of a prestige convertible.

Horrid thing.

I'm a Holden fanboy and after seeing it at the motorshow, I think it looks surprisingly good.

I'm going to go die now, since I just said that :cry:

:lol: Thats exactly how i feel because i agree with you. I think they've done a good job in design a car that looks like "a big aussie six.":|

^Thats what I think as well... I think its the first car for awhile that can actually give the Ford and Holden guys a run in terms of looks and performance... I know about the FWD, but everything else is pretty good, Drive.com.au gave a pretty good review for the Aurion

FWD is such a liability in a car. If Toyota is trying to match the Ford and Holden V8/RWD offerings with V6/FWD, they are bringing a knife to a gun fight.

People will still be stupid enough to buy it though, because it's a Toyota and therefore can cure cancer.

^Thats what I think as well... I think its the first car for awhile that can actually give the Ford and Holden guys a run in terms of looks and performance... I know about the FWD, but everything else is pretty good, Drive.com.au gave a pretty good review for the Aurion

Not really it was a typical biased piece of crap from drive.