Hollywood appologizes

Yeah, lot of Americans learn the re written history by Hollywood. Noone watches documentaries, and even the documentaries and mostly biased towards the Americans.

The problem with docus on American history channels is.. they are totally out of touch with what's normal.

Makes me frustrated to hear a twenty year old southerner talking about WW1 with Metallica in the background(!).

Really? That's nice comming from someone who definatly doesn't know what he's on about. :)

You saying it's hollywood's responsability to teach history and not to entertain is exactly the same as people getting mad that top gear doesn't preach global warming or talk eco-friendliness. It's also exactly the same as parents wanting an industry to raise thier children. It's not thier responsability to teach you anything, it's yours to go out and learn. If you can't be bothered to learn real history then that sucks for you, you're an idiot. There are two purposes to movies, to entertain, and to earn investors money.

Also, I don't know what history channel you get, but the one I watch is pretty good. And guess what, learning channels like discovery, history, TLC, etc are pretty popular here. And since you don't live in this country, I don't think you are in any position to say that Americans get thier history from movies, which is total bullshit.

People like you are funny. When the movie Antz came out, there were people bitching that the ants portrayed only had 4 limbs, not 6. Nevermind the fact that they were fucking talking, had cities and it was a goddamned movie! :roll:

When you go make movies then you can have as much painstaking attention to detail and historical accuracy as you want, untill then you're just talking out your ass about shit you have no clue about. Movies are just entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

3Colin said:
I do take confidence in the fact that most Americans recognised Pearl Harbor to be a bad movie.
yeah, nobody liked that except high school girls, and that's just because of ben afleck. it got made fun of endlessly on evening talk shows.

zenkidori said:
You saying it's hollywood's responsability to teach history and not to entertain is exactly the same as people getting mad that top gear doesn't preach global warming or talk eco-friendliness. It's also exactly the same as parents wanting an industry to raise thier children. It's not thier responsability to teach you anything, it's yours to go out and learn. If you can't be bothered to learn real history then that sucks for you, you're an idiot. There are two purposes to movies, to entertain, and to earn investors money.

Also, I don't know what history channel you get, but the one I watch is pretty good. And guess what, learning channels like discovery, history, TLC, etc are pretty popular here. And since you don't live in this country, I don't think you are in any position to say that Americans get thier history from movies, which is total bullshit.

People like you are funny. When the movie Antz came out, there were people bitching that the ants portrayed only had 4 limbs, not 6. Nevermind the fact that they were fucking talking, had cities and it was a goddamned movie! :roll:

When you go make movies then you can have as much painstaking attention to detail and historical accuracy as you want, untill then you're just talking out your ass about shit you have no clue about. Movies are just entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.
1. I never said that. The people who complain about Top Gear, usually disagrees with Jezza, Hammond and May. They think they don't do enough eco friendly cars and so on.

The big difference is that Clarkson really don't lie about things.

2. I don't get American history channels. But I do occationally download a couple of Docus from different trackers - being the history nut I am. And my experience is, that the quality of these, compared to most European docus I've watched, is quite unsatifying. This is, of course a very subjective thing, but I do believe that myself. You're free to think otherwise, of course. :)

3. I never said Americans got their history from movies. Please don't put words in my mouth. You say; "There are two purposes to movies, to entertain, and to earn investors money.", and that's toally true. But I pitty American viewers if they wouldn't go watch a movie like U571 if it didn't portray the Americans as the heroes. Though, I don't think so. I think Americans are just as intelligent as Europeans, even though one some times joke a bit about American intellect. We do it with the Swedes as well, no hard feelings in it. But I think it's sad, American producers think they have to portray their people as the heroes, to get success with American viewers. I just don't believe that's nessesary.

4. Antz is computer made. It doesn't give any clues that it's portraiying a true event. And say what you will, a war movie, like U571 will give the impression of telling a true story. That's just the way it is. :) If you look away from the historic inaccuracies(?), I actually enjoyed the movie. It's well made and so on. But sadly, it just lies. And that ruins some of the experience.

I'm not particularily anti-American. Neither do I have anything against American war productions as a whole. My favourite production is Band of Brothers, actually. :)

And you're absolutely correct. Parents leaving education and raising of their children to the telly, really should get slapped back into reality. :)

So I don't think you're all wrong. :p

I don't think that most Italians wanted to be in the war at all, Italian member could correct me on that one.
Italy didn't wanted to get into a war but it was forced due to UN restrictions after the attack to ethiopia,the only UN represented country in africa,and the germany was the only possible ally avaible there.
As the movie front, the despiction of the war front itself was never a funny thing as we didn't win and all that we got was dead bodies, foreigner allaround much like iraq nowadays, so if we exclude some masterpieces about the afterwards pretty much nothing, only a couple of fictions about italians soldiers been killed when mussolini was taken off the command and recent one about the african front, both on last berlusconi "regime" :lol:

Don't forget the attack at that British naval base with Italian migdet subs. You guys did a hell of a job there. :)

Not that I'd like to be there. Damned it must have been a gastly mission.

it was a small action that has little to no effect, that is no longer told by school history books.One of that submarines is into a museum here in trieste, its scary to see how much is small within it.

They did some demage. And if I ain't totally wrong, their success inspired the Japanese idea of using midget subs. Might very well be wrong, since I don't even recall when the attack occured.

Might be the use of Swordfish Torpedo Planes by the Royal Navy. :)

But if I'm right, it means the attack sealed the faith of Germany. Since it meant USA came into the war. Say what you wish, we could never have won without the Yanks.

Funny how tragedy changes things to the better in the long run. :)

Believe it was early in 1941. Well, then that's sorted. Cause Pearl didn't happen before Dec. 7th :)