Homeowner Munir Hussain jailed for attacking burglars who tied up family

Which is the point of having a good lawyer. The justice system is in fact, quite fallible indeed.

Except he was fleeing, and other then being tied up no harm was carried out. If you are that concerned about your family then you should stay with them and call the cops, you shouldn't chase after them as you may be attacked yourself and then where is your family?

So if somebody broke into your house, tied your family up at knife point, and then tried to flee after you broke out of the bonds and threw a coffee table at the intruder, you would let them get away?

So if somebody broke into your house, tied your family up at knife point, and then tried to flee after you broke out of the bonds and threw a coffee table at the intruder, you would let them get away?

I'll jump in.
I would chase him down and restrain him on the floor. I wouldn't beat him half to death with weapons. That is the point of this case. With 4 people it shouldn't be hard to restrain a man on the floor without having to resort to smashing him around the head with a metal pole.

I'll jump in.
I would chase him down and restrain him on the floor. I wouldn't beat him half to death with weapons. That is the point of this case. With 4 people it shouldn't be hard to restrain a man on the floor without having to resort to smashing him around the head with a metal pole.

It is however, quite easy to be stabbed, shot, overpowered etc. when trying to restrain someone who just threatened to harm you and your family. Where the hell do you get "shouldn't be hard" from?Sounds more like, "idiotic/unecessary risk-taking"

Last edited:

Yes. After an ordeal like that i wouldn't want to chase down people who threatened to kill me while my family sits at home undefended. I would call the cops and prepare myself incase they came back, which is unlikely.

Spectre's story makes me glad that my primary means of defense is GTFO, because I'm not a fighter.

Still, if I had some dude tying up my family I'd probably be able to sum up the strength to pull his spine clean out with my bare hands.

It's quite interesting that you guys A) don't trust the courts and B) most likely support the death penalty (no? am I wrong?) because those two things don't go together.

I don't support the death penalty for that very reason. Self-defense is different - you KNOW the intent, and possibly the impending means, and appropriate action can be taken to mitigate that. Once the offender is in the possession of the courts, though, then it becomes a lot less clear, because they weren't there. Just put them away for life, and if conclusive evidence comes to light that proves them not guilty, then let them out. I have no doubt that innocent people have died on death row, we just don't know about it yet.

Last edited:
I'll jump in.

I don't think he was trying to beat the guy half to death, just to restrain him. And if somebody is struggling after I've chased them down, then a whack with a cricket bat seems reasonable to subdue the perp. It just so happens that said bat caused a brain injury.

I don't think he was trying to beat the guy half to death, just to restrain him. And if somebody is struggling after I've chased them down, then a whack with a cricket bat seems reasonable to subdue the perp. It just so happens that said bat caused a brain injury.

That isn't what happened though. Here is the judges description of the attack. These facts were not disputed by the defence.

Four men including, as the jury found, the two of you, armed with weapons then proceeded to carry out a dreadful, violent attack upon him when he was defenceless on the ground.

That attack involved kicking and punching him, stamping upon him and striking him with weapons, including a hockey stick and a cricket bat.

The witness, Miranda McCloughlin, who was at the window immediately adjacent to where the attack was taking place pleaded with you and the two others to stop, telling you that you were going to kill the man on the ground.

She was disregarded and the attack continued. She described you and the other two men involved as acting like a pack of animals. It is purely fortuitous that the man Salem was not killed.

As it was, he suffered a number of fractures, including a skull fracture, and brain damage, giving rise to permanent injury.

Having seen the movie Hostage recently I would probably tend to agree that the yobbos deserved the ass-wooping Mr Hussein and co. handed to them.

And sentencing Mr Hussein to 7 years prison is absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if the dick-wad thief got hurt? He deserved it.

And sentencing Mr Hussein to 7 years prison is absolutely ridiculous. Who cares if the dick-wad thief got hurt? He deserved it.

He wasn't sentenced to 7 years, he was sentenced to 2 and half years of which he will serve about 15 months.

I'm with the judge here.

One of the major trademarks of a civilized Western country is the monopoly on violence by the state. It's undisputable for me. A civilized society can only function properly, if everyone accepts and respects that principle.

I can understand the man's fury at the men who threatened his family, but instead of beating the crap out of him, he should have pinned him down and call the police. I don't know about Britain but here there is a thing called "everyone section", which entitles everyone to temporarily arrest another person, when they were caught in an illegal act, e.g. shoplifting or breaking into a car.

I can understand the reflex reaction of "Oh man, that's so unfair, he was just defending his home and family!!" but we are not in the stone age anymore, we don't live in caves and you do not need to hunt down members of another tribe, because nobody else would do it for you.

Our societies have developed since then (well, at least on this side of the Atlantic Ocean :p) and folks should adjust to that mentally.

It's unfortunate, that Mr. Hussain got sentenced to jail but he really can be lucky, that it was for such a small amount of time.

Last edited:
I'm with the judge here.

One of the major trademarks of a civilized Western country is the monopoly on violence by the state. It's undisputable for me. A civilized society can only function properly, if everyone accepts and respects that principle.

I can understand the man's fury at the men who threatened his family, but instead of beating the crap out of him, he should have pinned him down and call the police. I don't know about Britain but here there is a thing called "everyone section", which entitles everyone to temporarily arrest another person, when they were caught in an illegal act, e.g. shoplifting or breaking into a car.

I can understand the reflex reaction of "Oh man, that's so unfair, he was just defending his home and family!!" but we are not in the stone age anymore, we don't live in caves and you do not need to hunt down members of another tribe, because nobody else would do it for you.

Our societies have developed since then (well, at least on this side of the Atlantic Ocean :p) and folks should adjust to that mentally.

It's unfortunate, that Mr. Hussain got sentenced to jail but he really can be lucky, that it was for such a small amount of time.

Please ask a police officer if its a good idea to try and pin an armed person. If there's any suspicion at all that he may be then its a pretty retarded idea to try and handle him. Its along the same lines as never chase someone around a corner or into a dark room. You Euros seem to think the world works like a 1960s Batman comic

And 15 months is STILL a year and 3 months away from the family he was protecting, his family.

Last edited:
From what I read, that particular "armed" person didn't stand a chance in hell.

Please ask a police officer if its a good idea to try and pin an armed person.

And in the above statement from the judge they called him defenceless, ie that he had no defence ie that he was unarmed and on the ground.

You seem to think it's some Clint Eastwood western. Armed? With what? His arms?

which would be enough to keep me from trying to pin him as you all keep suggesting he do unless I had some specific training in such matters which, you can imagine, your average homeowner doesn't posses. So you could appreciate one not wanting to take the risk. Underestimating a threat is what gets people killed.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAdibdxZ9zg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
third time its been reposted. And before you say anything, I don't think it was right (or legal) for him to deliver that last shot to the guy. In this case, its pretty safe to assume he's down

Also, Clint Eastwood would have shot him. And thats generally what happens if you try that BS here. Which is why it happens less here. Weird how that works out.

Last edited:
Also, Clint Eastwood would have shot him. And thats generally what happens if you try that BS here. Which is why it happens less here. Weird how that works out.
I'm curious because according to the compareable statistics between the UK and US (such as homocides) living in the UK is alot safer than living in the US.

I'm curious because according to the compareable statistics between the UK and US (such as homocides) living in the UK is alot safer than living in the US.

1. We're alot bigger than the UK

2. In the UK (based on statistics gathered from earlier in the thread) one is several times more likely to be robbed which was kind of the point of this discussion. So crap like gang killings and what have you aren't relevant, nor are homicides by people who are familiar with each other (i.e. crimes of passion) I do believe these make up the bulk of homocides in the U.S.

Last edited: