Honda deposes Toyota as most reliable car in USA

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
To further put Toyota's Reliability/Quality to Shame, here is another article that would definitely further hurt Toyota's reputation for Quality and Reliable cars.

Source: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=45063
Toyota's quality reputation suffers a glitch

Christopher Jensen, The Sydney Morning Herald, 29/10/07

America's influential Consumer Reports magazine says Toyotas will no longer be automatically recommended after a Camry V6 and Tundra 4WD recorded disappointing reliability results, writes CHRISTOPHER JENSEN.

For all its juggernaut progress in sales, Toyota's quality is "showing cracks in its armour" and two of its most important models cannot be recommended for reliability reasons, a survey conducted by a powerful American magazine, Consumer Reports, has found.

Published by the non-profit Consumers Union, the survey - which evaluated 1.3 million vehicles owned by subscribers - found that Toyota's V6 Camry and new V8 4WD Tundra had enough problems that, despite their other virtues, the magazine said it could not recommend them.

Toyota officials responded that the maker still dominated the magazine's recommended vehicles (with 17 of the 39 models) and "overall this survey reflects well on our products". An official said that the maker was constantly taking steps "to continue to sharpen quality and enhance customer satisfaction".

The study put Honda first in reliability, followed by its luxury brand, Acura. Then came Scion, Toyota's youth brand. In descending order the others in the top 10 were: Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, Porsche and Buick.

Overall the Asian brands are still on top, the magazine says, with Hyundai and Kia taking spots in the middle of the pack.

The traditional domestic American car makers are also doing better with Ford taking the lead, the magazine said.

Ninety-three percent of the Ford models were rated average or better than average in reliability. That compared to 49 per cent of General Motors' models and 67 per cent of the Chrysler models. Ford ranked 13th in the survey of 36 brands, while Chrysler was 20th and GM 28th.

The new survey means Toyota will no longer get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to safety, the magazine says.

"Because of these findings, Consumer Reports will no longer recommend any new or redesigned Toyota-built models without reliability data on a specific design. Previously, new and redesigned Toyota models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record, even if Consumer Reports didn't have sufficient reliability data on the new model," the magazine says in a statement

The magazine says the most serious complaints on the US-built V6 Camrys were problems with the automatic transmission, brakes and squeaks and rattles. (In the Australian market Camrys and the V6 Aurion are locally made.) However, the Camry Hybrid and the four-cylinder Camrys are still recommended, the magazine says.

The worst brand was Land Rover, which has routinely been the worst or close to worst in studies conducted by JD Power, a US marketing firm. Other poor performers were Hummer (35th), Mercedes-Benz (33rd) and Volkswagen (31st).

Despite me being a supporter for Honda, its a shame to see Toyota's reputation go down like that after they spent so many years building it. I really hope they turn around and actually start making cars like they used to, I understand why they killed off their sporty cars such as Supra, MR2, Celica... etc back, but why would kill their reliability and reputation to save a couple of cents/dollars per car is beyond my question.

Previously, new and redesigned Toyota models were recommended because of the automaker's excellent track record, even if Consumer Reports didn't have sufficient reliability data on the new model," the magazine says in a statement
No real surprise there.

Toyota's been growing too fast for their own good; I don't think this is a problem that's going to go away soon.

The Tundra tailgate must have pushed it over the edge.

^yea... that's what I think as well. But honestly, I think I have mentioned in the other thread already, I would honestly only buy American cars for theirs trucks like the RAM and F-series. But reading how a Camry has reliability problems is big problem for the Toyota fans.

Oh, damn, this isn't good for Toyota.

Honda must be jumping for joy.

I've honestly never really understood what so many Americans see in Toyota. Every Honda equivalent I've been in has always been a better car, with better electronics, engine, switchgear, seats, everything really.

Toyota just grew too quickly for its own good.

I've honestly never really understood what so many Americans see in Toyota. Every Honda equivalent I've been in has always been a better car, with better electronics, engine, switchgear, seats, everything really.

Actually there is some differences mostly when it comes to comfort, where I find Toyota much better than Honda. Outside of the Accord, I haven't found many Hondas that have been quiet with a very smooth ride. Toyota also commands some very high loyalty among customers meaning in most cases they have handled customer service generally well thus gaining some return customers even when the model may have become outdated.

Yeah, I did notice that Lexus cars are much more comfy then Acura cars.
But in all fairness, the Acura cars did seem much more sporty.

Yea... I guess Lexus and Acura is something like BMW and Mercedes, one is more Comfy, one is more Sporty.

And GM_IV, I'm not being biased or anything but you should really go sit/test drive the latest Civic (Not the Si, the CX/DX/LX 1.8l ones), I've tested almost every car in the same Class and the civic was just so smooth, power delivery was smooth and gearbox was great, it was pretty quiet as well, compared to the Corolla. Their new R18 is an engineering achievement for comfort but yet boast some good power figures.

I've honestly never really understood what so many Indians see in Toyota. Every Honda equivalent I've been in has always been a better car, with better electronics, engine, switchgear, seats, everything really.

Some Indians realize this and buy a Honda (usually an Accord) instead, the rest settle for a Toyota (usually a Camry).

They got greedy and now they're faced with the consequences. Shame really, since I WAS considering a silver Yaris sedan.....

And GM_IV, I'm not being biased or anything but you should really go sit/test drive the latest Civic (Not the Si, the CX/DX/LX 1.8l ones), I've tested almost every car in the same Class and the civic was just so smooth, power delivery was smooth and gearbox was great, it was pretty quiet as well, compared to the Corolla. Their new R18 is an engineering achievement for comfort but yet boast some good power figures.
I actually have, I will say its better than most of Honda's past Civics in comfort. Its still a bit noisy but the seats are quite good and its not stiff like my Uncle's Acura EL. Don't quite agree with its power delivery at least on the automatic as its so-so with responsiveness. For comfort I find the Accord still Honda's better effort. Toyota however, I've driven my dad's Avalon and its very comfortable and very quiet. The engine only makes a fuss when pushed to roughly 4500+ rpm. I've been in quite a lot of Toyotas old and new and this is generally what they all excel at. I will again agree that to drive, a lot of Toyotas are quite life-less. Its primarily why I drive a Cressida despite its age, kind of like a indirect protest. Toyota can make a car that feels good to drive, the problem of course is not many buy them.

I've honestly never really understood what so many Asians see in Toyota. Every Honda equivalent I've been in has always been a better car, with better electronics, engine, switchgear, seats, everything really.

The first Asian to come to America bought himself a Toyopet and said, "this is awesome car! You like!" to all of his Asian friends. And now, we don't buy anything else.

This doesn't explain why my family has owned two Nissans, a Subaru, a terrifying Chevy Lumina, a Robocop-special Taurus, a Dodgeubishi Colt, and a 1975 Buick Skylark that my dad threw the keys into a trash can. Oh, and a token Honda Civic which is a terrific car.
:dunno:

The first Asian to come to America bought himself a Toyopet and said, "this is awesome car! You like!" to all of his Asian friends. And now, we don't buy anything else.

This doesn't explain why my family has owned two Nissans, a Subaru, a terrifying Chevy Lumina, a Robocop-special Taurus, a Dodgeubishi Colt, and a 1975 Buick Skylark that my dad threw the keys into a trash can. Oh, and a token Honda Civic which is a terrific car.
:dunno:

And you own a motorbike. Crazy Asians, you make no sense!

And you own a motorbike. Crazy Asians, you make no sense!

Not just any motorbike, but a

Honda_wing.jpg

Maybe I'll get a Harley next. A nice Sportster Roadster with powderblack wheels and a set of 2-into-2 Supertrapp drag pipes. Nobody's gonna see that comin' :twisted:

LOL... is that Honda bikes logo big enough?

If I had to get a bike, I'd get a Honda Shadow.

Class for class, Honda is outperforming Toyota for family passenger vehicles.

Civic > Corolla
Civic SI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Corolla XRS
(new) Accord > Camry
Odyssey > Sienna
Fit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Yaris