Honda e-Prototype.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
https://drivetribe.com/p/honda-take...2B9jQDexDSx0ShT7mA?iid=ZWZDYQDHQiChbXPbwjaLQg

LlsM4DM.jpg

Back in 2017 at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Honda premiered their E Prototype concept with a delightfully retro design. Everyone who saw it was completely enamored with its styling. The exterior perfectly reflected unfussy, retro design synonymous with old school boxy Civics. The interior had a similar starkness to it while still retaining plenty of character. At the premier, Honda stated that the concept would eventually make it to production.
At the Geneva Motor Show Honda showed what looked like a very close to production-ready E Prototype. The Prototype still has the same cutesy, boxy styling but looks a little more appropriate for production. The most noticeable differences are in more obvious areas. The fenders have lost some of their flare, the front end is less aggressive and some of the edges along the roof line are softer. The original wing mirrors have been replaced with small rearward facing cameras. These cameras feed into two screens on either side of the Prototype’s dash. The new wheels are also smaller, but are still retro. Overall the entire car has been given a going-over, with minute details being added in several places.
The interior has also gone through a refresh but still having the same retro aesthetic as the exterior. Simple and direct lines keep the cabin clean while wood accents make the driver and passenger feel as if their a first gen Civic. Keeping looking, and the retro feeling continues to charm. Everything down to the seat belt clips have a stylized to reflect old-school aesthetic. Honda also decided to go with plain cloth seats that just seem to work in the Prototype’s interior.
Screens, HDMI ports and other modern amenities are worked in with the interior of the Prototype very nicely. Several screens stretch the length of the dashboard, displaying everything from the tachometer to your current Twitter feed. These screens, while admittedly stretching a little too high into the dash’s upper sight-lines, work to complete the retro-modern design of the interior.
Personally, I’m truly excited about something like the E Prototype. The design is perfect for a small city car. Classic and modern perfectly intertwined in the design philosophy and electric power being delivered to – wait for it – the rear wheels. While the design of the Prototype takes inspiration from its ancestors, the drivetrain has been built to be evocative of other classics like the Volkswagen Beetle. The interior also looks like a genuinely pleasant place to be. Plenty of technology available within reach and plenty of character in the design.
The recent trend of electrifying classic cars is one that works incredibly well. Whether we want to admit it or not, classic engines and drivetrains don’t work very well. Replacing those drivetrains can provide more reliability and sophistication to the most beautiful and evocative designs created. In particular, the E-Type Zero Electric is a perfect marriage between modern technology and classic design.
Now we are starting to see that trend evolve with new electric cars taking on classic ques. Electric cars are starting to look more special, like they have personalities. Tesla’s offerings are very pretty yes, but they aren’t evocative or emotional. The Honda E Prototype may have a fairly poor range and be relatively expensive, but it’s a step in the right direction as far as EV design.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about the styling on this one. In some ways I like where they are going, but something is just a little... off. It feels like a Lancia Delta or even a Gen1 Sirocco or Corrado that has been stretched vertically too much, making it disproportionately tall. I think it would look fantastic if they shaved 6" off the bottom and raised the arches a little.

Someone with photoshop skills should make a go of it.

The concept looked much better, and this does look a bit off.

I think it looks a lot like what the Golf Mk1 would be if someone were designing it now only with a higher belt line.

I like it a lot.

I've not been excited about a new car for a while, but I find this one quite exciting. I like it. I want it.
Would have like a bit more range though, 200km range is a bit on the marginal side for my liking but I think I could live with it.
I wonder what pricing will be like.

For me it's about the price point. If it's cheap enough to be a supplement, I would 100% go electric for a city car and park my adventure 4x4 to save on fuel, tires, and mileage. Here in the Mountain West, I don't think that E-vehicles are ready for the 800+ miles per day a road trip requires.

EDIT:

k5SdE64.jpg

Something between this and the first one that I posted would be ideal. Throw a splitter or some kind of chin spoiler on the Sports EV Concept (above) and you would have a real looker. I can see a blend of these two being a 2+2 hatchback, like a Sirocco, it would be a great small, sporty, practical city car with some style.

Last edited:
^why did honda make an electric version of the celica MKI?