Autoblog: Honda Motorcycles puts Kawasaki on notice with the CBR250 (Warning: MC Content!)

:clap: This is exactly the sort of news Honda, motorcycle companies in general, and riders like me want to hear. The motorcycle industry's been in a downward spiral for about 3 years now, as people are holding onto their current bikes and unsold stock is rampant in dealers. Manufacturers know this; they haven't introduced much because it's difficult to launch all-new products to capture the market, given the amount of research and engineering for now models. So the fact that Honda is blessing the American market with this, attempting to capture a younger market as opposed to courting the baby boomer generation that has traditionally been the market force for motorcycles (and is now literally dying off) - it's very good news indeed.

Its just always been funny, every time I talk to sport bike riders (maybe all the ones around here are just total assbags?) they tell me the same two things: "Man, you got to get into it for the thrill. Its about how fast the bike can go, and the power. Its so dangerous, if you've never ridden before don't bother." To which I say "Well, What about the Ninja 250?" Response? "Nah, 750 or bust bro! Even if you never ridden before, its safe!"

wat

Its just always been funny, every time I talk to sport bike riders (maybe all the ones around here are just total assbags?) they tell me the same two things: "Man, you got to get into it for the thrill. Its about how fast the bike can go, and the power. Its so dangerous, if you've never ridden before don't bother." To which I say "Well, What about the Ninja 250?" Response? "Nah, 750 or bust bro! Even if you never ridden before, its safe!"

wat

You're talking to the wrong people - i.e. douchebags.

wat

Are these people TRYING to get you hurt, or are they just high?

If you want to have fun instead of scare yourself into quitting (or god forbid hurting yourself), you want the motorcycle equivalent of a Miata, not the motorcycle equivalent of a Formula 1 car. Most supersport machines (600cc racing-oriented machines like the Honda CBR600RR, Yamaha R6, etc) and superbikes (1000cc racing-oriented machines like the CBR1000RR, R1, etc) are basically two-wheeled equivalents of formula 1 cars. They're designed specifically for racing, and some people try to shoehorn them into backroads playing.

But they were never designed with backroads playing in mind, don't have the right ergonomics for it, have suspensions and super-sharp steering that were not designed to deal with routine potholes and frost-heaves, and have powertrains that literally make a Civic Si seem like a torque-monster.

Don't listen to the douchebags. You'll be safer, and YOU'LL HAVE MORE FUN, if your first machine is a two-cylinder bike of 250cc-650ccs that was designed specifically for backroads playing instead of competitive racing (Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki Ninja 500, Suzuki SV650, and this CBR250RR). I'd be wary about getting a supersport machine before a year of riding, or getting a superbike before a couple years of riding. And even then, it's certainly not mandatory to have fun. I've been riding for thirteen years, I'm on my third bike, and I'm totally happy with my SV650.

As a final note, don't ever, ever get into the habit of thinking that public roads are racetracks, which is what the douchebags around you seem to be advocating. If you want a racetrack, do a track day. If you're going to ride on public roads, remember that. I know of two situations in my area where motorcyclists were killed by other motorcyclists, and I myself hit and killed a stray dog while tearing through a blind curve faster than I ever should have.

Whappeh has spent too much time talking to this guy.

I might get flamed for this but I know I'd be bored with 26hp really quickly.

Even as someone with no experience whatsoever on motorized bikes I know with my town being intertwined with a large highway I would simply crave more power after a very short while. Might be just me though.

And I seriously don't understand the low power rating. only slightly over 100hp/liter at 8500rpm? not to sound ignorant but I thought modern small engines were doing a little better. I recently picked up a sled with 120hp from a 500cc engine. It's two stroke but even still, it's from 7 years ago.

I'll have to get test riding and refine my opinions a little if that helps, lol

Even as someone with no experience whatsoever on motorized bikes I know with my town being intertwined with a large highway I would simply crave more power after a very short while. Might be just me though.

And I seriously don't understand the low power rating. only slightly over 100hp/liter at 8500rpm? not to sound ignorant but I thought modern small engines were doing a little better. I recently picked up a sled with 120hp from a 500cc engine. It's two stroke but even still, it's from 7 years ago.

Motorcycles aren't sold like cars with such emphasis on horsepower figures. It's more important to see how usable that power is - especially if it revs high, like a good sportbike should, and as a Honda usually does.

26 horsepower in a 350 lb motorcycle, with a 150 lb rider, is 0.052 horsepower per pound. It's the equivalent of a 3000 lb car with a 150 lb driver with 164 horsepower. That's Lancer GTS/Mazda3 2.5 territory. Not a racebike, but certainly fast enough for a new rider to have fun.

As for the specific output, in order to get 200 hp/liter out of a supersport machine, you end up with a street-unfriendly and novice-unfriendly powerband that stacks all the usable power up top. Use that same sort of tuning in a 250cc machine and you've got a bike that's all but unridable off the track, not to mention massively unfriendly toward the novice riders that the CBR250 targets.

Just wanted to know what about the 125cc model like the cbr125 that seems to have more the geometry of the supersport bike but with a lot less power, would they be any good for a first bike ?

I think that a more neutral body position is better for beginning riders - it's more comfortable and easier to get the rider to keep the weight off the bars for one thing.

Of course this is just my personal opinion from offering instruction to Kiki when she started on the Ninja 250.

The CBR125 may look a lot like the bigger sports bikes, but the riding position is actually far more relaxed.

2007-honda-cbr125-i0033.jpg

Just wanted to know what about the 125cc model like the cbr125 that seems to have more the geometry of the supersport bike but with a lot less power, would they be any good for a first bike ?

You don't WANT superbike geometry when you're starting off (or, arguably, for street riding at all). Superbike ergonomics and steering geometry were designed:

(1) for a trained professional;
(2) at triple-digit speeds;
(3) on a smooth, well-maintained racetrack.

NONE of those are (or should be) true with new riders on public roads. A racebike crouch for a new rider is the wrong tool for the job, like hammering a nail with a screwdriver.

One good thing about a racer tuck makes a ton of sense with the wind blast at 100 mph for a race that lasts 30 minutes. But for a ride on back roads at backroads speeds, you don't NEED to tuck. Another good thing about a racer tuck is that it gives you better leverage for shifting your weight off the bike to drag knee. If you do this on the street, you have no margin for error left and nothing in reserve if wild animals dart into the street, if there's a patch of gravel, a pothole, a car coming the other way, etc.

One bad thing about a racer tuck is that, by putting your body weight on the grips, you transfer unintended steering inputs as well as intended steering inputs. Sneeze, and the steering reacts. Tighten up in a panic situation, and the steering reacts to your muscle tightness, before you can do what you intended to do. If you're not holding 40% of your body weight with your hands, you only transfer the steering inputs you WANT to transfer. Doesn't that sound smarter as you learn to ride (and, arguably, for anyone on public roads)?

Its just that i more used to very agressive geometry as a ex-competitve track and road cyclist and i loved to ride track bike because of the aerodynamic-minded geometry and having your chest as near as possible to the handlebar.Thats why a bike like cbr125 was looking more interesting to me as i could get back that same body positioning that i loved on track cycle. Sure its not the same thing but it would be nice for me to have back to know position for me. Heck even in my 850, i am very close to the steering wheel since this is what i am used to compared to people of the same height of me( to give you an idea my arm when at 9 o clock and 3 oclock on the steering wheel they are at 90degree or higher angle at the elbow)

Last edited:
It loosk pretty cool, but isn't a single cylinder and only 26hp kinda weak for modern motorcycles? I'm not a bike person, but it seems like most of the 250cc motorcycles are over 40hp.

It loosk pretty cool, but isn't a single cylinder and only 26hp kinda weak for modern motorcycles? I'm not a bike person, but it seems like most of the 250cc motorcycles are over 40hp.

Probably like that due to the Moto3 restrictions- I know that the single cylinder thing is due to that.

Last edited:
Whappeh has spent too much time talking to this guy.
*** youtube video went here ***

The end of the video was awesome... LMAO!!

It may not be a lot of horsepower, but the single cylinder and torque will make it feel like a lot more. My VF500F, for example, allegedly made a whopping 66hp, but it was at some ridiculously high rpm (11,500). As a result, there was no power at all below about 7,000 which is really irritating in the city. It looks like Honda is sacrificing high end power for usability, which is exactly what you want in a starter or city bike.

Are they? What models? I haven't looked up stats on 250s for a long time, but that sounds awfully high to me. I would have suspected that most 250s are somewhere between 25 and 35 horsepower, depending on the state of tune.