Honda North America can go **** a **** while *****ing a **** *** *****

I liked my RSX too, but that doesn't mean I'm siding with Honda on this.

Making shitty products is one thing, making good products but refusing to provide after-sales service and support is quite another. At least the former isn't making any claims about being reliable and awesome.

When you are talking about something as expensive as a car, the service you get after your purchase is nearly as important as the product itself.

I had no problems with my Acura, but I probably would think twice paying money to Honda again seeing how irresponsible they can be.... maybe Blind just got unlucky, but it won't mean Honda won't do it to anyone else.

A company as big and with a reputation like Honda's should have taken care of Blind's problem right away... the amount of money it would cost them to have his dash recalibrated is peanuts for a company like Honda who works so hard at maintaining an image of quality and reliability.

Is there any way to sue and FORCE the stupid dealer to take the car for it's real price? I mean THEY did it so THEY should have to deal with it.

^You wouldn't win because they fixed it within the law. Whether it causes an inconvenience or not. And protesting it such a long time after wont help.

A company as big and with a reputation like Honda's should have taken care of Blind's problem right away... the amount of money it would cost them to have his dash recalibrated is peanuts for a company like Honda who works so hard at maintaining an image of quality and reliability.

And guess what? This incident will not hurt Honda's sales or reputation at all.

Like I said, this kind of hiccups happens to just about every single manufacturer. Blind is just unlucky that he happens to be the victim of the case.

It looks like Honda is not going to solve the problem. Luckily, apart from the depreciation, the vehicle itself it still working 100%.

Blind_Io, I promise never to buy a Honda/Acura product ever just because they fucked you over. After reading the whole thread I'm honestly really pissed off because I had a similar situation with my phone (the sales guy told me I had free internet on my blackberry and I wouldn't ever have to pay for it, but it turns out that was true but only for the first month which he never explained...). It's really sad, but I think your best option is to just try to get the odometer fixed yourself. Because if you think about it, all other options will just cause you to have to pay more money.

The same thing happened to my sister, They said she got 3 months free internet, then if she didn't want to pay for it, she could cancel it. They didn't mention the fact that it costs $90 to cancell the plan.

The only reason to consider it a TMU is ignorance. The car's mileage was noted in accordance to law with the sticker. If the sticker is not there or unreadable, then you might have a TMU issue, but in this case it's not.

The truth is, anyone claiming this particular car is TMU is committing fraud. Full stop.

Steve

No, it is a TMU. If you run that car through the auction you have to declare it a TMU if you don't then the auction can go after you. It is technically a TMU but you still have to declare it and note it and that drastically effects the resale value.

It doesn't matter if the car has a sticker or not the odo doesn't match the true mileage and that makes it a TMU. Our wholesale guy has been doing this nearly twenty years and has bought or sold thousands upon thousands of cars.

I am going to go by what he says in regards to auction rules and car values.

I went to a Ford dealer that's north of the Bay Area, where I found out the bad news. I then went to the dealer that did the repair to see what they had to say (they had an 08 Tacoma on the lot that I couldn't afford, but it served the purpose to talk to the sales guy). The sales guy didn't even look at my car, I explained the repair and what I found at Ford and he said, "Yup, that sounds about right for a car with that problem."

What problem? According to Honda North America there is no problem because you "fixed" it! They won't give me a fair trade for the car because of their own repair work!

That is the point of this thread. That is what needs to be resolved.

Of course it will, if they do this to enough people word will eventually get out.

Looks like this retarded way of fixing things with a sticker is their policy, which means lots of people are going to get raped when they try to sell their cars.

People who need a lawyer ummm... Blind IO

Seriously, find a local lawyer and have them send a letter to the dealer saying you intend to sue because their repair has depreciated the value of your car. You are on firm legal ground in this situation they'll jump fast and fix your car, or be out the depreciation if not full value of your car. Don't worry about Honda North America too big.

They are cheap and reliable, and easily replaceable. Great commuting tool.

Yeah, but so are donkeys.... Anyways I put most of the blame on HNA because the dealership was just following the strict guidelines that the company gives them. If the guy at the shop did put the odometer back to the original millage he would more than likely get fired because he went against company policy.

Of course it will, if they do this to enough people word will eventually get out.

Looks like this retarded way of fixing things with a sticker is their policy, which means lots of people are going to get raped when they try to sell their cars.

They sell over a million cars a year. I honestly don't think their reputation will even take a slightest knock because of this incident, or any unlucky customers with a broken odometer.

Big car companies like Honda has enough customers to be this rude. Sad to say, but they can whatever they want and customers can't really do shit against them.

Maybe you can't hurt honda as a whole with this story but the dealer you can. Through the magic of the internet you can probably spread this story around enough to give their sales a hit. If we hit up honda forums, and local sites to Blind's area we could probably inform other honda owners not to go there anymore as well as people thinking of buying a car from them. I would never go to that dealer knowing this shit.

Companies, like people, need to maintain their reputation. If Honda wants to do that they need to avoid fucking people like Blind over... you do this enough times it becomes company policy.

No company has the right to be rude to consumers, because sooner or later they will go broke. It's not a government or a non-profit organization, it needs to satisfy its consumers if they intend to keep their doors open and the cash rolling in.

They sell over a million cars a year. I honestly don't think their reputation will even take a slightest knock because of this incident, or any unlucky customers with a broken odometer.

Big car companies like Honda has enough customers to be this rude. Sad to say, but they can whatever they want and customers can't really do shit against them.

^You wouldn't win because they fixed it within the law. Whether it causes an inconvenience or not. And protesting it such a long time after wont help.
I think he has a legitimate case. He was misled by the dealership (regarding the repair procedure's affect on the vehicle's value) and that deception has led to quantifiable grievances. There is certainly a case for a civil suit there.

Two words: "public relations". If Blind can persuade just one person not to buy a new Honda (the fact he probably won't aside) this supposedly insignificant fiasco will have already cost Honda more than it would've to make it right. This is like PR101, for fucks sake. Just fix the problem HNA.

That notion is exactly what put GM where they are today. After decades of building sub-par cars and failing to police their dealer network, they're losing sales to everyone else. You're right that Honda can get away with this shit if they want to, but it's going to cost them, little by little, until it's too late.

Look at GM now; they're making great products now but no one will take a second look at them. My dad refuses to buy a new GM vehicle because of the hell he went through 20 years ago with an Olds Cutlass and the pathetic TH200s. These kinds of experiences stick with people for a lifetime and that is not something a car company needs hanging over their heads.

Last edited:
The only reason to consider it a TMU is ignorance. The car's mileage was noted in accordance to law with the sticker. If the sticker is not there or unreadable, then you might have a TMU issue, but in this case it's not.

The truth is, anyone claiming this particular car is TMU is committing fraud. Full stop.

Steve

I'm sorry but in this case you are completely wrong. There is no law that states what dealer/private party/wholesaler has to pay for a car. So if they don't believe that the car with that particular "defect" is worth the money it would normally be worth it cannot be changed.
That notion is exactly what put GM where they are today. After decades of building sub-par cars and failing to police their dealer network, they're losing sales to everyone else. You're right that Honda can get away with this shit if they want to, but it's going to cost them, little by little, until it's too late.

Look at GM now; they're making great products now but no one will take a second look at them. My dad refuses to buy a new GM vehicle because of the hell he went through 20 years ago with an Olds Cutlass and the pathetic TH200s. These kinds of experiences stick with people for a lifetime and that is not something a car company needs hanging over their heads.
Exactly what I was going to say.

But they are treating the car as a TMU car, when it is not a TMU car within the law. I see this thread as just collective whining, rather than anything proactive. I would be very interested to see what a lawyer or small claims court would say about this.

But they are treating the car as a TMU car, when it is not a TMU car within the law.
There is an odometer discrepancy, so it is a TMU car. I don't see how it could be any simpler.

California DMV said:
Repair of Odometer: Required Information

28053. (a) Nothing in this article prevents the service, repair, or replacement of an odometer, if the mileage indicated thereon remains the same as before the service, repair, or replacement. If the odometer is incapable of registering the same mileage as before the service, repair, or replacement, the odometer shall be adjusted to read zero and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left doorframe of the vehicle by the person performing the service, repair, or replacement specifying the mileage prior to the service, repair or replacement of the odometer and the date on which it was serviced, repaired, or replaced.

I guess the question is, was the car driven with the odometer broken?

I guess the question is, was the car driven with the odometer broken?

As I understood Blind, the odometer itself wasn't even broken to begin with. There was something wrong with the speedo, and they replaced the whole dash unit to fix it, including the odometer.