horsepower(s) and torque(s) = grammatically correct?

Say, on a slightly offtopic note, Dsemaj, is that the dashboard display from a Citro?n in you sig ?
I looks seriously familiar too me, but the only car(s) I can think of where I saw those are a BX break and a Biaritz.

Holden Monaro! :p

Doubt it. Methinks it's pounds feet of torque, or whatever that imperial rubbish is! :p

Yep, it's Pounds-feet. When they did the Mercedes tug-o-war with that one team, he kept mentioning lbs-ft.

I thought mph were the only imperial units the british uses, for weight, they seem to still use kilos.

From my understanding, the British have been making a piss poor attempt to switch to the metric system. If you notice they still use "MPG" for fuel economy, but fuel is sold by the liter there.

BTW, an interesting note, a US MPG is different from a UK MPG. 5 UK MPG is = 4 US.

The only people I ever hear use foot pounds of torque are the americans, even UK stuff i've seen uses NM

Usually it's NM, but more often then not I've seen TG (the show) use lbs-ft.

I thought mph were the only imperial units the british uses, for weight, they seem to still use kilos.

On the contrary - we are meant to use kilograms for official documents such as passports or insurance forms. However, ask your average punter in the street how much they weigh and (if you don't get slapped) 90% will answer in stones and pounds.

From my understanding, the British have been making a piss poor attempt to switch to the metric system. If you notice they still use "MPG" for fuel economy, but fuel is sold by the liter there.

Piss-poor is right. It's a hodgepodge at the moment. Whilst most things are metric, some aren't. For example, draught beer can only be sold in pints. (Shame, I like the sound of asking for a litre of beer at the bar). Speed limits are still in miles per hour. Roadsigns are in miles, not kilometres. Car fuel consumption is in miles per (uk) gallon. And so on.

I still get milk delivered in glass pint bottles, for example, but if I was to go down the supermarket I would have a choice of buying them in pint containers, litre containers, or variations thereof.

I guess they are compensating for the American driving :p

:) In all seriousness it's because of a variation in the US/Imperial rating for the Gallon. For some reason it got changed between the 2 of us in the past 240 years.

"Maths" sounds stupid too.

But the thing that bothers me the most is when Clarkson says "The secret to all this speed is, of course, the engine."

Shit I thought it was headlamps.

"The secret to all this speed is, of course, the engine."

Actually... The secret to high speed is aerodynamics, or more specifically low drag. Put a Veyron engine in a truck and you won't see much above 100mph. :p

maybe there's a far simpler explaination: jeremy clarkson doesn't know dick about all the intricate details of cars? like how he makes fun of the vette for having leaf springs when one look at them will show you they hold almost nothing in common with leaf springs of old.

Actually... The secret to high speed is aerodynamics, or more specifically low drag. Put a Veyron engine in a truck and you won't see much above 100mph. :p

wrong. is much like 160-170mph? there is a huge difference between 100 and 200mph. most modern performance vehicles (including trucks) can get well past 150mph.

IIRC TG uses both lb-ft and Nm . I remember Hammond using Nm for some review. But when it comes to clarkson you can be sure it's the former cos he's so old fashioned.