Hot?

darkshark0159

Car(s)
Mercedes-Benz C240 W203, British Rail Class 450
As of this week, it abruptly turned summer, and it's ?hot hot hot?. :yucky:

Anyway, driving up the mountain, my car rumbled and stalled again. Same exact place as it always does. This hasn't happened since last summer. I noticed when I work the car in the summer (the long 65mph uphill climb up I-70 from Denver) the engine temp climbs to 100 degrees, but normal driving sees the temp around 80. Should it be jumping that high?

Looked around the internet but found of conflicting opinions on temp.

Stalled as in cut out completely or was it just a stutter?

Refuse to read my input on the throttle, stutter, complete stall. I replaced the MAF sensor myself last year which seemed to fix the problem but as of today it's back. I don't really feel like buying an OBD II reader... :/

It's been a while since fluid changes. I've been planning on routine service soon as the dash has let me know it's that time again.

No on-screen malfunctions or the check engine light. I did go ahead and shut off the air con, but I also drove the rest of the way at 45mph max.

I will say that there were oddly a LOT of cars broken down on the side of the road today up I-70 and the pass. Maybe something in the air? :p

Last edited:
Haven't heard the cooling fan theory but I've looked in to the CPS before and I didn't feel that the symptoms quite matched up. I figure that CPS would be giving me trouble on any drive, not just this one route on this one stretch of road in this one season...

Last edited:
One or more of the various temp sensors could be at fault. What you should do is hook up a real time OBD display of some kind to see what the ECU is seeing when you have these malfunctions.

Yeah I might try AutoZone next time I'm close to one, but since I'm off to school soon and won't have the car, I'm not really in the mood to buy a reader. Perhaps dealextreme or ebay will have one for really cheap... *off to check*

I would suggest one of the ElmScan or clones off eBay for $20 or less. This does more than a generic code scanner and you can use your laptop to do datalogging which the cheap scanners can't do.

Thanks, I'll check those out. Still not sure if I'll pursue this any further though considering it has thus far been a minor inconvenience with the work around being drive 55-60 instead of 65-70 on any of the few trips to Denver I take in my car.

Perhaps for a summer project though...

Last edited:
Given the age of your car, it's worth looking into.

Could it be a transmission problem? Autoboxes are known to cause problems when the fluid overheats.

It's been a while since fluid changes. I've been planning on routine service soon as the dash has let me know it's that time again.

No on-screen malfunctions or the check engine light. I did go ahead and shut off the air con, but I also drove the rest of the way at 45mph max.

I will say that there were oddly a LOT of cars broken down on the side of the road today up I-70 and the pass. Maybe something in the air? :p

waiting for the dash to tell you isnt all ways best, but im in a simular boat to you my car as im driving if its hot out say 23C to 33C or higher the oil light will flash and the odd time the car stalls but mines a 1992 so its just old

Well, the CEL will light up when certain error codes have come up in the system, so no CEL means no likely major errors reported with those known systems. Just a basic but useful diagnostic tool.

On a side note:
What about those cheap bluetooth OBDs?

Last edited: